C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#101 16 years ago

I run Red Hat 9.0 half the time, and I've yet to experience a problem with my ATI (9600XT). It works just as well as my old Ti4200, and drivers are somewhat easier to install to boot (you don't have to shut down X, but you do have to do some fancy swapping whenever an update for XFree86 comes out).

the_move

Frisch, Fromm, Fröhlich, Frei!

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

656 Posts

0 Threads

#102 16 years ago

Do not buy SE cards from ATI.

There is quite a difference between Pro and SE cards in performance.

The SE are way slower.

The 9800XT cards from ATI are their best at current.

svfdf10

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

19th March 2004

0 Uploads

2,120 Posts

0 Threads

#103 16 years ago
C38368I run Red Hat 9.0 half the time, and I've yet to experience a problem with my ATI (9600XT). It works just as well as my old Ti4200, and drivers are somewhat easier to install to boot (you don't have to shut down X, but you do have to do some fancy swapping whenever an update for XFree86 comes out).

This could sound dense since we are in a gaming forum (but due to the intensity & range of topics on here I wonder how many people actually have gaming as their primary 'hobby' or purpose when they post on here), but, C38368, do you play 3D intensive games on Redhat ? (btw something completely different - any thoughts on Fedora distro @ all)? I mean do you play multiplayer 'high-end' graphics-heavy games online using your Linux rig (box, comp., desktop whatever...)? If so then my info is already outdated (not surprising since in the Linux world support status can change literally overnight). It would be good to get a certified positive from anyone who does do this since I have been put off investing in an ATI card due to their reported lack of robust drivers for Linux. Could I expect to game successfully on other distros (Mandrake, Suse, Slackware, Gentoo) using an ATi chipset card (Radeon 9500PRO & above)? - I will probably pose this question in a new thread - how many regularly rely on Linux for gaming & what their experiences / opinions of driver support & card success are.

C38368

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#104 16 years ago
zer0sumThis could sound dense since we are in a gaming forum (but due to the intensity & range of topics on here I wonder how many people actually have gaming as their primary 'hobby' or purpose when they post on here), but, C38368, do you play 3D intensive games on Redhat ? (btw something completely different - any thoughts on Fedora distro @ all)? I mean do you play multiplayer 'high-end' graphics-heavy games online using your Linux rig (box, comp., desktop whatever...)?[/QUOTE] Not really; I haven't enough money to open a subscription with Transgaming. As such, I probably should've prefaced my previous statement thusly... however I've yet to experience any kind of graphical problems in Linux Before I started using Linux, the stories I heard regarding ATI's support for it were abysmal to be sure, and it sounded to me as though Linux flat out wouldn't work at all with an ATI card. While I don't know how their support was a year or more ago, the little selector app that ATI uses to determine which product you have now lists both Mac OS and Linux in the first decision box. Now, having said that... the drivers are only available as RPMs (they're proprietary), and don't support kernels before 2.4. Additionally, you need XFree86 4.1, 4.2, or 4.3. But since I'm both using kernel 2.4 and XFree86 4.3 I haven't had a problem, really.
zer0sumIf so then my info is already outdated (not surprising since in the Linux world support status can change literally overnight). It would be good to get a certified positive from anyone who does do this since I have been put off investing in an ATI card due to their reported lack of robust drivers for Linux. Could I expect to game successfully on other distros (Mandrake, Suse, Slackware, Gentoo) using an ATi chipset card (Radeon 9500PRO & above)?
"The ATI Proprietary Linux driver currently supports RADEON 8500 and later, as well as FireGL 8700 and later products. We do not currently plan to include support for any products earlier than this. Drivers for earlier products should already be available from the DRI Project or Utah-GLX project." - Direct quote from ATI's 'Linux Driver FAQ' I expect that you will see similar performance on any distro which supports RPM. ATI also goes on to mention that there are also some third party initiatives, and that video capture for their AIW cards is not yet supported. [QUOTE=zer0sum]- I will probably pose this question in a new thread - how many regularly rely on Linux for gaming & what their experiences / opinions of driver support & card success are.

With Red Hat's recent discontinuation of support for 9.0, I expect that I'll be migrating to SuSe 9.1 when it's released in May. I hope that SuSe will consider re-releasing their "Wine Rack" to go along with it. If they do, I'll likely start playing as many games as I might under Linux. I'm crossing my fingers... As for the Fedora Project, it intrigues me. However, since Fedora doesn't have any overriding standards, my fear is that over time it will diverge into many different "flavours" (semi-unique distros, if you will), and as such I'm hesitant to fully migrate in that direction.

[calnique.com]Strafe

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

29th March 2004

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#105 16 years ago
Anlushac11You know I just heard that same story. Apparently their are two different memory configurations. The L shaped arrangement is the best. The memory arranged straight across the top is the bad ram setup.

The L shaped is the one you want. From what it looks like the 256 bit has the L-shaped config in the pics found in the below time trials (even includes the hl2 leaked beta). Also the pics at Newegg support this. Another reason I too am getting the SE from Newegg. It's the best bang for the buck (IMO) and with a bit of tweaking it performs right up there w/ the Pro. Here's some good trials I found that has the SE 256 bit softmodded: http://www.digital-daily.com/video/ati-radeon9800se/index03.htm For this price it seems like the best buy. When all the other "mumbo jumbo" comes out and it's time to upgrade again, at least this one didnt cost an arm and a leg. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-131-236&depa=0

Froggin_Ashole42

My nationality? I'm a mut.

50 XP

5th March 2004

0 Uploads

530 Posts

0 Threads

#106 16 years ago

Hey,I was looking at alot of system specs.for the new cards.How do you find out your wattage on your power supply?I have a sony vaio PCV-Rx550.

C38368

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#107 16 years ago

Well, the easiest way is to open up your case and take a look. Most PSUs have their peak load printed on them, or you can derive peak wattage by the amperage on each rail. If you're installing a new gfx card, then your warranty has probably been voided, or will be shortly, so that's the method I'd recommend. Or just go wandering around forums/making searches. I found one post lamenting a mere 289W being provided from a PCV-Rx 550's PSU. Either way around, be careful if you replace it. OEM PSU's are notorious for being proprietary--Dell even goes so far as to rewire the 20-pin ATX connector so that only their PSUs can be used with their motherboards. Beware, and replace the PSU if you can. It sucks anyway, I promise.

Froggin_Ashole42

50 XP

5th March 2004

0 Uploads

530 Posts

0 Threads

#108 16 years ago

Well,that sucks.Will a new GFX still work anyway(I can risk instability)?The card I'm getting has a 300 watt reccomandation.

C38368

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#109 16 years ago

In all reality, yes it will probably work. In even more reality, it's probably a 300 or 350W unit (and that thread I found was with respect to a PSU gone/going bad). However, I would recommend upgrading that as soon as you can. Talk to your local independent retailer; it's fairly likely that they'll know if you can swap PSUs outright. Oh, and one more thing: If you start getting random reboots or problems POSTing/loading your OS, then you're probably overworking your PSU. Replace soon, before you blow it out, along with other parts of your computer.

Froggin_Ashole42

50 XP

5th March 2004

0 Uploads

530 Posts

0 Threads

#110 16 years ago
C38368In all reality, yes it will probably work. In even more reality, it's probably a 300 or 350W unit (and that thread I found was with respect to a PSU gone/going bad). However, I would recommend upgrading that as soon as you can. Talk to your local independent retailer; it's fairly likely that they'll know if you can swap PSUs outright. Oh, and one more thing: If you start getting random reboots or problems POSTing/loading your OS, then you're probably overworking your PSU. Replace soon, before you blow it out, along with other parts of your computer.

Thanks for the advice C38,I'm going to start looking for a new power supply as soon as I order my card.