I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

25 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Heyyyyyyyyyy Kids!

It's me, Hermann der Panzer Klown! I'm here to teach all the dumkopfs of Forgotten Hope how to really use a Panzer! American, Deustch, Rooskie, and Rapanese are all covered! Hey Hey Hey!

First thing you must remember: Tanks are not infantry! Though you can cross areas quickly, reap destruction upon your foes, and put fear into your hearts, you have many limitations. All good tankers use their environment to their advantage. Open areas limit strategy, often resulting in a quick exchange of shells followed by the explosion of the smaller tank. You cannot hide unless in a city area or you have found a great spot on an open map, and you are still succeptable to infantry sneaking up on you (see next)

Beware of the cities! Many tank drivers go into town without any infantry support, going completely alone. This is both stupid and dangerous. Buildings in FH and BF maps are almost always hollow for soldiers to wander about, and hitting them can be hard. Most often, you don't have the luxury of suprise, the infantry does. Rear shots with the Bazooka can kill or damage your tank badly (even the Tigers), and a piat to the butt will kill most any tank while one to the side would mess you up BAD. Never advance in town without infantry support, and take it nice and easy. All too often have I seen a tanker gun it down the boulevard only to get hit three times on the side and explode in firey wreckage. Moral? Let infantry clear the way for you.

Use cities to your advantage! The above part does not mean that cities are impending doom! No sir, they can result in wonderful ambushes and chokepoints. Hide behind corners or down the street, wait for tanks if you can hear them or know they are there. An alley can make a great spot for tank doom: your foe can only see your forward hull and you will see their side first. This has a downfall though, you have no escape, thus Tigers, Tank-Killers, and the like work best for these ideas.

Tiger, that mean mean kitty! The Tiger is the 800-pound gorilla of FH, and the war itself. The Tiger should always spearhead an attack with infantry using it as cover and other tanks behind it. Be prepared to take a beating- Americans and Russians will blow the crap out of you, or at least try. Shermans and Daimlers are tiger food, so make them low priority in a tank fight, aim for more dangerous targets like Jacksons, 105mm Shermans, and most T-34 models. Never get too proud of your tiger, it is still succeptable to heavy damage. Landmines and ambushes can mess you up, not to mention shots to the rear. Powerful, but not invincible, always keep that in mind.

I wanna ride the tank! Teamwork is essential in FH, and the new spots on tanks encourage that. I'm going to go over several tank spots.

Hull MG- Despite its limited view, the hull MG has many benefits, including no recoil, a powerful gun, and protection. Never be put off by its restricted view, you can be a life saver to the tank driver by catching someone trying to sneak up on you, such as behind you in the Chi-Ha, or below the gunners firing range in the Tiger.

Top MG- This position, unless on the Stug model with the bullet shield, is not a safe place in city combat. Out, exposed, and screaming to be shot, this works best when in the open to watch for planes and shifty infantry.

Ride el tanko- Riding the tank is a feature used throughout WWII, and is now in FH. Infatry should tank ride to a hot zone, and drop off the moment they are MARGINALLY close to the fight. Tanks are big targets, and when others see multiple names... It's a target of opportunity. Jump off and support the tanker, especially in city areas, where he needs it most.

Play your strengths! Each tank is not completely useless. Tigers, for example, are super dangerous, capable of causing massive damage and taking it in. Shermans are fast and manuverable, but with a small gun; use them in the cities and areas where they can zip in and out. The Chi-Ha is doom to infantry when full- Difficult to sneak up on, fast, and loaded with things that fire pointy stuff at you.

Formations! Formations and line order work well in this game. Here is an example for a bridge crossing(front to end): Tiger, Panzer, Panzer, Stug IIIg. Tiger is in front to take hits and initialize the fighting, panzers can fire on it's flanks, and the Stug III can stay in back (due to small aiming cone) to hit targets with it's nifty gun. A spear with a heavy tank on the tip with scout tanks going around the sides to flank can screw your foe as well. Be creative, put strengths together, organize.

Damage! We all know that the side and rear shots do more to the tank than the front, so always look for, but do not pursue, that magic shot in an open tank fight. Trying to circle an enemy is easily countered by their roatation and shot into your foolish side. Medium and light tanks should never try to get too close in a fight in an open area, they work better in cities where they can pop out, shoot, and scoot.

Armored Cars! The german armored car and the british Daimler are great for shooting for those command points, then holding until help arrives. They are also nice at HARASSING (not killing) enemy tanks. The german armored car is great at killing infatry, so use it to pop up, kill many, then run away before the big dogs (tanks) arrive.

Moving! Two things should be done more often, tankers that reverse, and tankers that go slowly. Reversing lets you back up at a controllable speed, allowing you to shoot accurately and keep your most armored part exposed. Reverse, repair, attack, repeat- great for bottlenecks like bridges and city areas. On going slowly, it keeps your aiming accurate, gives you more time to react, and lets that handy infantry ahead of you stay ahead of you.

Look for cover! Sandbags in front of your tank, a half exposed position, and the ever-popular "Hull down" position (where your upper armor is all that is exposed and you have some cover) can give you a life saving edge and make your tank infuriating to hit in the chaos of a big fight.

Licorice packs and green plates of doom! One thing that can be really annoying to tankers at bottlenecks are the famous mines and TNT packs. Starting with the former, they cause less damage in FH than BF, however, they are dangerous none the less. The Tiger can take at least 2, but light and medium tanks cannot afford the little plates of annoyance. Even if they survive, they'll have heavy damage. How do you counter this? Safely go around when enemmies are absent (The turning can expose your lighter armor), or if you cannot go around, wait for infantry to fill the engineer that placed them full of holes. Voila! All gone. Now, TNT packs. Who saw Saving Private Ryan? Reason number one to have infantry at your sides, enemy troops can sneak right onto you without your noticing and put the explosive chunks on you and dash away to pull that plunger-o-fun and send you sky high. Like mines, find a way around, or wait for the engineer to be iced. If that doesn't work, patience does. In time, the engineer will get tired and waste 4 hastily placed demo packs on 2 assaults who didn't see them, giving you space to go forth and kill.

Tank smart! One tank can change the entire course of a battle just by staying alive! Never rush ahead of you allies, never fire small arms at a tank, and never try to cut a Tiger's wiring with a knife!

-TRR-Crib Deth

50 XP

8th October 2003

0 Uploads

17 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Excellent guide!! I hope people start using it!

=TAW= [-[tRiX]-]

50 XP

13th October 2003

0 Uploads

22 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Nice little tutorial.Too bad many games(besides clan matchs) are not organized,so sometimes u have to rush with a tank.Me personally dont use tanks very much.Big target..Good post tho. :thumbsup:

Wiking9

I want to be like Revenge

50 XP

4th August 2003

0 Uploads

359 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

LOL! Great post, fella. The first paragraph really hooked me in! Of course, that could be the Rolling Rock Lager as well.....:D

Nijo

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

20th August 2003

0 Uploads

140 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

nice ;)

Evilsanta

Swedish Elite Tanker

50 XP

12th August 2003

0 Uploads

435 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Nice guide indeed :)

Neko Reaperman

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,126 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

[size=10]WE WANT A STICKY![/size]

Panzermeyer

I post to get attention

50 XP

13th October 2003

0 Uploads

77 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Nice Guide, but on Public Servers nobody helps you when you need backup with your tank. Tanks should stay together, so they can do a lot of damage.

Evilsanta

Swedish Elite Tanker

50 XP

12th August 2003

0 Uploads

435 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

yeah, give this sticky!

Coolguy

神 & FH Godfather

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,799 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

Very very nice, alos made me laugh sometime :)

I guess I'll do one for me speciality in FH: tank destroyers & arty =]