Neko Reaperman

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,126 Posts

0 Threads

#21 16 years ago

SensesFailheh...good point about them not being states...goes to show how much I pay attention...heh... :naughty:

anywho...I wonder why Hawaii became a state and not the other occupied territories like Puerto Rico??? heh...or is that a territory yet to become a state... :D ...(probably not)

Puerto Rico took a vote about 2 years ago, weither they wanted to become a US state or not (they were eligable), they chose not to....

SensesFail

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

112 Posts

0 Threads

#22 16 years ago
PeoThe alaskan pruchase was part of my elemtary school history class so most people probably do know. The ones that doesn't are the ones that sleep in history class.

ya, well I mean I learned it too and remember now that it was 1959 when Alaska and Hawaii became states...but last time I ever thought of that was atleast six years ago so I needed a refresher...

I think I know my share about US History though...heh...but the reason I (along with many Americans) don't know much about Europe (I mean...we know a lot but not as much as Europeans) is the fact that I (We) have no need/desire to learn about Europe...

heh...good people though...good people...oh...and good food... ;)

Peo

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

177 Posts

0 Threads

#23 16 years ago

SensesFailya, well I mean I learned it too and remember now that it was 1959 when Alaska and Hawaii became states...but last time I ever thought of that was atleast six years ago so I needed a refresher...

I think I know my share about US History though...heh...but the reason I (along with many Americans) don't know much about Europe (I mean...we know a lot but not as much as Europeans) is the fact that I (We) have no need/desire to learn about Europe...

heh...good people though...good people...oh...and good food... ;)

I had no idea that it was in 59 thyey became states. But i don't have any intrest in knowing that either :D I find 17th and early 18th century history more fun.

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#24 16 years ago

If I remeber correctly the US also bought Alaska for 8 million $. Fragger already showed how crappy he was in history in http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=91662 I think I also remember a research where americans were among the crappiest in geography...

.:[kFmS]:.Fragger

You've been just Øwned by me

50 XP

12th August 2003

0 Uploads

162 Posts

0 Threads

#25 16 years ago
Maximushow could someone make that big of a mistake? what was your source for that info fragger?

A friend told me :D I didnt research more, i just created the topic ;) so sorry if this isnt right ^^

.:[kFmS]:.Fragger

You've been just Øwned by me

50 XP

12th August 2003

0 Uploads

162 Posts

0 Threads

#26 16 years ago
D-fenceIf I remeber correctly the US also bought Alaska for 8 million $. Fragger already showed how crappy he was in history in http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=91662 I think I also remember a research where americans were among the crappiest in geography...

hey, stop flaming -.- you know the pisa study? see which place germany is there -.-

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#27 16 years ago

I'm not flaming, I just think you should know a little more of what you're talking about before posting such stupid things like "what's Australia got to do with WW2?" or Russians owned alaska in 1942...

Um...Pops

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

7th October 2003

0 Uploads

7 Posts

0 Threads

#28 16 years ago

Guys... you're on the internet... the information about statehood is only a few clicks away. Besides, you Americans should know this stuff.

In 1867 United States Secretary of State William H. Seward offered Russia $7,200,000, or two cents per acre, for Alaska.

On October 18, 1867 Alaska officially became the property of the United States. Many Americans called the purchase "Seward's Folly."

In 1943 Japan invaded the Aleutian Islands, which started the One Thousand Mile War, the first battle fought on American soil since the Civil War.

Alaska officially became the 49th state on January 3, 1959

Hawaii was the 50th state admitted to the union on August 20th, 1959

SensesFail

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

112 Posts

0 Threads

#29 16 years ago

D-fenceI think I also remember a research where americans were among the crappiest in geography...[/QUOTE]

err....but this has nothing to do with geography...the topic in question is who was under control of Alaska...not "Where is Alaska Located"

[QUOTE=D-fence]Guys... you're on the internet... the information about statehood is only a few clicks away. Besides, you Americans should know this stuff.

In 1867 United States Secretary of State William H. Seward offered Russia $7,200,000, or two cents per acre, for Alaska.

On October 18, 1867 Alaska officially became the property of the United States. Many Americans called the purchase "Seward's Folly."

In 1943 Japan invaded the Aleutian Islands, which started the One Thousand Mile War, the first battle fought on American soil since the Civil War.

Alaska officially became the 49th state on January 3, 1959

heh...people should know a lot of things but they don't... ;) ...heh...I think its more of the fact that no one gives a shit really...but I know about the purchase I just haven't clung onto the finer details...Same reason why I know NOTHNG about Holland...(and have no desire to know ANYTHING)...except that in Amsterdam there are a bunch of weedbars...heh...I mean seriously...when in my life am I going to say..."No, in 1867 Holland seceeded from England in a tribunal debate over the monarchy and separation of church and state..."

I'm all for increasing my knowledge...but I know stuff that I'm interested in...

anywho...heh, "Sewards Folly" ended up being one of the most natural resource-rich land in the United States...over half of our oil reserves are in Alaska...not bad for the ol' economy...Seward was a pretty smart man after all I guess...

I mean...can anyone off the top of your head tell me who Stephen Decatur was...he was a tight guy...

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#30 16 years ago

You monky molester, I didn't write that! The first quote you avtually got right, was a reply to some earlier comments about people's knowledge. Btw where it's located and who has the control; if Russia owned Alaska, Alaska would lie in Russia :p