ArcherMH

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

29th April 2003

0 Uploads

38 Posts

0 Threads

#21 16 years ago
Beast of WarIt was only landbased though, the landing gear didn't permit it used on carriers. Funny enough that goes for Corsairs too. Not only should they not be in DICE maps like Midway, since F6F Hellcats or even F4F Wildcats were the carrier fighters then, but they also were not carrier fighters for almost the duration of the war. They operated from island airfields.....Only very late in the war the landing gear was redesigned so it could be used on carriers.

I'm sure there is a big difference between why George's didnt operate from carriers, and its most likely the gear wasn't strong enough. The Corsairs, on the other hand, weren't used on carriers initially because of overly stiff oleos, which made them bounce on touchdown. They still could land on carriers, but at the time of their initial deployment the Navy decided against it due to the poor visibility, torque stalling, etc, which is one of the primary reasons F6Fs were used, which turned out to be a good choice for the time being.

The first Navy unit with Corsairs, VF-12, became carrier qualified with Corsairs, but switched to F6Fs when they were deployed to the Pacific in 1943, when the F6F was coming in as the Navy's carrier fighter. The second unit was VF(N)-75, which flew F4U-2 nightfighters from Munda in September 1943. The third unit, VF-17, sailed to the Pacific in September 1943 on the Bunker Hill, adn they were carrier qualified in the F4U-1 "Birdcage". While en route to the Pacific, they were ordered to report to ComAirSol (Commander Air Solomons) and become a land-based squadron. This was not due to the Corsair not being effective or capable of flying from a carrier, but "the reason for the change was that we [VF-17] were the first Corsair squadron on board a ship in the fleet and had we blown some tyres or had to land on a different carrier there would be no spare parts for us as there were none in the logistics chain. The Marines had been based in the Solomons since February, so they did have the logistic support for the Corsair." (Lt Cdr Roger Hedrick, XO of VF-17 from Corsair Aces of World War 2 published by Osprey Aerospace)

But more or less right, whenever there's a Corsair on land, there should be Hellcats on carriers, otherwise Wildcats on both (until 43 IIRC). Corsairs operated with the British carriers from mid-1943, and on US carriersin late 1944. But I bet everyone knew that :p

And to the topic: The George looks sweet, I believe it only had four cannons http://www.skytamer.com/specs/japan/kawanishi/n1k2-j.htm http://www.photovault.com/Link/Military/AirForce/Aircraft/NIK2-J.html And finally: http://www.combinedfleet.com/ijna/n1k-j.htm

Armament: Two fuselage-mounted 7.7 mm Type 97 machine-guns and two wing-mounted 20 mm Type 99 Model 2 cannon in wing gondolas (N1K1-J prototypes). Two fuselage-mounted 7.7 mm Type 97 machine-guns, two wing-mounted 20 mm Type 99 Model 2 cannon and two 20 mm Type 99 Model 2 cannon in wing gondolas (N1K1-J). Four wing-mounted 20 mm Type 99 Model 2 cannon (N1K1-Ja, N1K1-Jb, N1K1-Jc, N1K2-J, N1K2-Ja and N1K2-K). Two fuselage-mounted 13.2 mm Type 3 machine-guns and four wing-mounted 20 mm Type 99 Model 2 cannon (N1K3, N1K3-A, N1K4-J, N1K4-A and N1K5-J). External stores: one 400 litre drop tank, or two 60 kg bombs (N1K1-J and N1K1-Ja), or two 250 kg bombs (N1K1-Jb, N1K2-J, N1K3-J, N1K3-A, N1K4-J, N1K4-A and N1K5-J), or four 250 kg bombs (N1K1-Jc and N1K2-Ja). One 250 kg and six air-to-ground rockets in ventral pannier (experimental installation on some N1K1-J).

N1K3, N1K4, and N1K5s had 2 MGs and 4 cannons

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#22 16 years ago

;) So you agree with me the corsairs on the DICE maps should be either F4F wildcats or F6F Hellcats.....

ArcherMH

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

29th April 2003

0 Uploads

38 Posts

0 Threads

#23 16 years ago

Yes, they should all be F4F Wildcats, except for Iwo Jima, I believe by that time Corsairs were the norm on carriers, F4U-1Ds, it'd be nice to have bombs and rockets (like the Flak88s) :)

On Guadalcanal I wouldn't mind a good mix of aircraft from different services (P-38, Marine Corsair, Navy Dauntless perhaps) to represent the Cactus Air Force.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#24 16 years ago

Wake should have F4F WIldcats

Midway should have F4F Wildcats, SBD Dauntless, TBD Devestator, and TBF Avenger. And to be authentic a B-17.

Guadacanal should have

F4F Wildcat P-40 Warhawk P-39 Airacobra P-38 Lightning SBD Duantless TBF Avenger

Phillipines should have

F6F Hellcat F4U Corsair SBD Dauntless TBF Avenger P-38 Lightning P-47 Thunderbolt B-25 B-26