Tracy

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

10th October 2003

0 Uploads

4 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

I really like this mod but we have some serious legal problems in Germany because of the use of nazi symbols on flags, planes and vehicles. I know that this is a specific geman matter and maybe the Forgotten Hope team did not realize that there might be a problem at all. But in fact the use of such nazi symbols is a crime in Gemany. My clan intended to rent a own Battlefield gameserver with the FH mod. That seems to be impossible because of the german law. :mad:

No gameserver hoster in Germany offers a game server with FH right now and even private server with FH are illegal if they provide access to a game with nazi symbols. My question is:

Is it possible to publish a (german) patch that removes all the nazi symbols from the mod? If not we have to play Battlefield without FH. And I don't want that!!

septic death

I post to get attention

50 XP

22nd September 2003

0 Uploads

70 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

I liked Germany when i was stationed (Erlangen , hope i spelled that right)there while i was in the US Army. To bad your country isn't that free! Your government needs to lighten up and get over the past.

Germany, what a place to visit. I have to say that i remember the people being so polite and respectful of everyone around, even the US soldiers. To bad many still live in the past, being over 60 years ago.

mondogenerator

Wolfgaming.net *****istrator

50 XP

24th September 2003

0 Uploads

568 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Its not about being free, its about ghosts from the past. In Germany there are still right wing movements which use the Nazi doctrine and symbols. I think its more putting the past and a bag and sealing it up and not wanting to remind people in a negative way of what happened but educating them about the reasons and causes of it. I think you really have to be European to really grasp what happened any why the Swastika is banned in Germany. No offense.

septic death

I post to get attention

50 XP

22nd September 2003

0 Uploads

70 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

I understand what you are saying. I just have a hard time with people who live to much in the past. Sure we need to remember the past, so we don't make the same mistakes. I just think that banning something isn't the way to get the point across. Example, i don't like to see KKK and all there crap, but the have the right to express what they want as long as they do not hurt and kill anybody.

I think we Americans can't see things the same as Euro's do on certain topics due to the past situations. That is why most Euro's are not for any war, example the Iraqi war. I do not want war, its just a waste of huiman life. But, there are times when talking does not solve issues. I agree that some of what the US is doing now is pretty bold, but it has to be done. I wish it didn't have to be done, but there are more to deal with Iran, Syria and North Korea. I believe Tony Blair said it best "risk of action far out ways the risk of in-action".

Anyway, back to the subject. Can you rent servers outside of Germany that can run FH?

General FUp

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

200 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

I'm european, "my" country took part in the war.. on the same side as the germans even :rolleyes:

Anyway, I do think that banning a symbol because it was used by people who did some pretty nasty things isn't really necessary.. If the reason for this ban is the way certain people and organizations use these symbols, then that kind of ways should be banned.. right? Because this places quite a burden on "normal" people as well. This is history after all. And a swastika itself probably has never hurt anyone.. unless it's fallen from a wall or roof or something :D

I remember saying that a german march song called 'Heil Hitler Dir' sounds good IF you manage to ignore the words or don't understand it.. this was considered to be an act comparable to things done at concentration camps.. I still think that as far as marches are considered, that one has a good tune :) I first came across it in an american movie btw. Martin Bormann's Super Service (not the name of the movie..).. and I only expected to see huge tits! :D Not Martin's though ;)

MkH^

FH tester

50 XP

25th September 2003

0 Uploads

2,286 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Not taking part to the "banned symbols" discussion I just want to say that if you are going to make the mod non-offensive against germans, I hope you do it by making "clean" client side skins instead of totally removing the offensive skins from every part of the game. I don't really feel the offensive symbols offensive at all, but some may do. Just hope that you don't completely remove them, since this is supposed to be historically accurate and realistic mod and that's the reason many people play this.

B.F. Pierce

FHmod Mapper

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

763 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

We're working on a clean safe version for Germany don't worry ;)

Tracy

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

10th October 2003

0 Uploads

4 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago
B.F. PierceWe're working on a clean safe version for Germany don't worry ;)

I completely agree with MkH^ and don't feel the offensive symbols offensive at all, but the legal situation in Germany is very "special". Personally, I think it's absurd, but it is as it is. Therefore I'm very happy to hear that there will be a "clean" german version. I would prefer a historically accurate mod, but a mod without these symbols is much better than no FH mod at all. :nodding:

Oberst Topgun

Herr Oberst Feldmarschall

50 XP

8th August 2003

0 Uploads

868 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

if u would inform urself more, u notice that there are some german staff members the fh team, and they already planned a censored version, hopefully it wont take long till its out ;)

edit: whoops i typed the first part, had lunch and then i wrote it to to end and replyied, so i didnt saw bf pierce's post ;)

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

Nazi symbols belong on german ships and planes that historically had them.

To deny this or have laws remove them on models or museum vehicles is falsefying history. In every sense that is wrong, painfull or not. The vehicles should be viewed as they were, to make clear in what enviroment and to what purpose they were build and used. Although you could expect nazi symbols more on vehicles of elite groups such as navy and airforce groups, that consisted largely of fanatic nazi's then the regular army wich consisted mainly of germans more or less being forced to be soldiers ( and didn't like hitler )

But with a german patch removing the "offending" markings all is solved best, but don't even consider removing them from all versions.