BlitzPig_Machine

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

182 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Alright...some maps you HAVE to use arty. What KILLS me, figuratively, is that folks decide they need to have arty ON the front lines. NO NO NO NO.

Let's take Karelia (sp- I am sure). People LOVE to take the Katyusha joy-riding. Maybe it makes them happy....I don't know. Fact is you DON'T HAVE TO MOVE IT. In fact you shouldn't. You can range the whole map from the spawn point and it's "relatively" safe. If you move it up, you're just making it easy to die.

So, lesson 1. DON'T MOVE THE ARTY. Use the range to your advantage. If used properly you can really do amazing things.

This brings to my second pet-peeve. People who jump into your vehicle and MOVE it while you are shooting. UGH. I almost think these should just be one person vehicles with two positions. Just lock out the driver spot.

Okay...I know these aren't exactly FH specific...but it happens IN FH. So there. :dance:

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Been there, seen that.

I think it is a rite of Noobhood to drive the Katayusha to the front. I almost always place officer on Karelia so i can spot for artillery.

Nothing like spawing at beginning of game and I call arty in on the Finns trenches as they are still getting organized and allI hear is "D not drive us to the front, leave the arty at the rear" Noob has been killed by laughing enemy player using MG42.

"And thats why you dont take the artillery to the front"

The other good one is the noob who drives the T34/85 right up to the Finn flag and a Finn jumps up and whips out a Panzerfaust and the noob jumps out of the T34/85 handing the Finns the keys to a brand new T34/85. That one was fun being all but pinned down in our base.

Another thing is I like to wait til the Katayusha is fully reloaded and then blaze away with the rockets while slightly walking the fire from left to right or vice versa. If done right you get that nice line of explosions across the enemies lines that totally messes them up.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

I agree totally on the artillery needing to be one man vehicles ( actually for the Wespe and Priest two men, because they need a top mounted mg too for close or AA defense ) but even DICE refused to make artillery one man operated vehicles after a petition signed by really a lot of players.

Their argument is the artillery would be used as a tank if it can drive and shoot. But with two players it can shoot on the move also.....so that makes no sense.

I think all artilery are that weak armoured no player will be really tempted to use them as tanks, save some nOObs but they will learn fast too and avoid that vehicle. It is used as transport anyway, one or two man operated.

Artillery can be used in 2 ways : Direct and Indirect.

In Direct mode you actually do use it as a tankgun, but only in such a way you prevent being seen and retalliation follows. You can't take much damage with artillery armour. That is why i always "hide" the wespe inside the sawmill in Bocage and shoot through the window.

And you can use it in indirect mode via a spotters view.

In my experience you are often not safe, not even when firing indirect and well behind friendly lines. If you make too much kills with that artillery, or really supress an outpost or base with it they will come looking for you, on a real search & destroy mission, often in a fast jeep. The huge muzzle flame you are firing is kind of easy to spot......even if you carefully parked it in a dense treeline.

THAT is why i want a mounted mg on the Wespe and Priest so bad, so they can defend themselves against those search & destroy missions, 99 % of the time in a jeep or just as running (AT) infantry.

Btw : In Karellia mg42 are well capable of blowing the Katusha up firing from the hill toward the russian camp. You better DO move it, but certainly not anywhere foreward.

BlitzPig_Machine

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

182 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

I can buy the "two position" argument from DICE. But you're right...it doesn't really change anything. The M10, M36 and Brumbar are examples of this sort of thing. They're all, essentially, assault guns/AT artillery/arty/SP guns, NOT tanks, and they get shredded (well the Brumbar's a pain sometimes) when they do the tank thing. So, I don't see what the big deal would be with making the Wespe and Preist that way. I'd probably use them more.

Sgt. DinkyDuck

Addicted to GF

50 XP

10th November 2003

0 Uploads

267 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

heres another idea, SPOT FOR ARTILLERY, with the howizers you cant move them, i hate having to shoot blind because no one spots for me when i ask. it almost alwase involves me accidently killing team mates cause i could not see what i was shooting at. please please please call for artillery, some maps it can change the tide of war.

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Yeah, i totally agree about how irritating it is when someone moves your artillery. On Karelia, Kursk and Zielona Gora, the way artillery initially spawns allows it cover the whole map. After some practice with a spotter, you can pretty much estimate the positions of the flags based on the cloud-patterns (just make sure to use the minimap to avoid TKs). I have no idea what goes through the heads of the people that take a Katuysha that is firing... When someone uses it just as a taxi, although noobish, but it still can be explained. But when it's firing and someone takes it, ignoring all the "bail out", "negative" and "wait" shouts... i just don't know what goes through people's heads. This is even worse than stealing a tank while someone repairs it. However, making arty a 1-man vehicle is not good. Firstly, if arty could fire on the move (same driver and gunner), it would be more used like a tank. Secondly, i like the way you have to position the arty first and only then fire.

LeopardSeal

Back in the "Good old days"...

50 XP

20th December 2003

0 Uploads

334 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

I totally agree. When I can, I'll try to spot for artillery, but I really hate when some moron is too busy looking at the pretty explosions a hundred yards in front of him to right click and see why someone has called for artillery support 5 times. I was playing Karelia the other day and we (the Russians) had driven the Fins back across the water. The Fins drove thier Wespe and Stug right up to the water's edge and were pounding the fortifications with their guns. Myself and at least three other people were making repeated calls for our artillery to take them out. Not a single rocket came. I went back to see what was going on and there he was, shooting rocket after rocket into the treeline in front of him. Very aggravating.

Alikchi

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

21st October 2003

0 Uploads

3 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Yeah. Although, you know, I think a lot more people would spot for arty if there was another class with it. Or if the officer had a rifle. But then again, that would probably unbalance the whole thing - you only really need one spotter, after all.

Conundrum!

striderx2048

DiCE/EA: Ambiguously Gay Duo

50 XP

16th May 2002

0 Uploads

2,073 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

actually it would be better if more vehicles could spot, because if you die, which is likely as infanty, the spot camera is gone. that why in vanilla scout is "ideally" the best spot. hidden and less likely to be killed. if class limits could be implentmented correctly, i would like for scout to added by to the menu or change it if the player dies, his "camera" doesn't. infact the tank commander kit idea might work good, ie, he spots and hops back into his armored tank and still repair it.

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

DC took the player suggesiton of making the entry position for Arty the same as the gunning position. This makes it so noobs cant jump into arty that's being fired and drive it off. It works great and is a perfectly feasible and simple solution to this problem. It's also easy to do, so I see no reason why FH can't follow suit.