CMSGT Johnson

I need an Enola Gay,can I?...

50 XP

4th October 2003

0 Uploads

244 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

M1-Carbine, what do ya think about it? Its a 30.cal round that it uses, and the K-98 is an 8mm round. Now does that mean that the Carbine is weaker than the K-98? I maybe wrong, but I think that this means the Carbine has a larger round, BUT has a lower muzzle velocity, meaning its power falls more over range. Lower muzzle velocity b/c of barral length, unlike the the M1-Garand which is noticably more powerful than the Carbine. K-98, M1-Garand, kill in one hit, generaly. Carbine though doesnt kill in one hit, unless its a head shot, (ingame this is), and over range the Carbine's power drops ALOT, maybe to much. Now Im going to get to the point of this thread, but I need to give out some more facts (some obvious srry). K-98 is a bolt action, and both M-1s are semis, Garand haveing longer barral than the Carbine. That means the K-98 is the most accurate out of the 3 rifles and the Carbine is the least accurate. SOooo technicly, at close to medium range (4ft to 50yrds), the Carbine is the best weapon to have (IRL) and the M1-garand is the best rifle to have at low-medium range to long range (15yds to 150yrds) and the K-98 is the best to have at med-long to extra long range (30yds to 200yds {longer with scope}) Now with these facts in place shouldnt the Carbine be more powerful than it is at close range? The other day I was playing battle of the buldge, I surprized a guy with a K-98 from behind (kinda surprized me 2 lol) I poped him 4 times in the back (not head) before he died, this was at about 20ft. I would think that 2 rounds would do the job suffieciantly. And then I was at about 100yrds vrs a K-98 axis in ST. Vith, we both saw each other, I went down on one knee, hit him 2 in the chest, then I hear 1 shot wizz by my ear (he missed lol), I then have to put 3 more rounds into him to kill him (i didnt miss, the hit indicator was up the whole time). That means I used 1/3 of a clip to kill 1 guy in BOTH incidences, close and far. Thats not very powerful is it? Im just thinkin the Carbine may need a bit of an up. Maybe like 2 rounds to the chest at close range=dead, 3 rounds at long range=dead, and head shots= dead period (doesnt make much of a difference if the round is movin at 1500fps or 600fps, if you get hit in the head, your probly dead {btw fps numberes are only for example}) So what do yall think of this idea? :bows:

Kingrudolf

Fan FH Mapper

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,345 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago

I am not complaining.

With it's great magazine capacity, I think it's effectiviness should be less. Hell, it'll probably be historically accurate. The engineer has great abilities already, so that's why you only see the engineer carrying the K98 in normal BF. It's just to balance the gameplay, and I think gameplay has a higher priority than historical accuracy.

Blehh

Rifleman

50 XP

16th January 2003

0 Uploads

2,894 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

Actually the .30 that the Carbine uses is shorter than the one the Garand uses. It's a combination of pistol and rifle ammunition, so the Carbine is more effective than a pistol but less effective than a rifle. It's not just how thick the bullet is, but also how long it is. Look at a Desert Eagle .50. If you shoot someone in the chest with that, they probably won't be cut in half, however if it were a .50 from a Browning then they'd either have a huge hole or just be torn in half.

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#4 16 years ago

The Carbine has a short round, much like the SG44. It is way weaker than the full size rifle rounds (besides, cal30 is 7.62mm, while the K98 has 7.92mm) It should kill with two chestshots in close ranges, will check that.

Maximus

I follow teh Moo!

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

700 Posts

0 Threads

#5 16 years ago
Spideythe Carbine is more effective than a pisto

I would take a Colt .45 at close range over it anyday.

CMSGT Johnson

I need an Enola Gay,can I?...

50 XP

4th October 2003

0 Uploads

244 Posts

0 Threads

#6 16 years ago

Well thx much for all of this great feedback :} Good stuff! Thx for the clarafication of these things, and thx for lookin into stuff Hartman. You guys are great! :}

Artie Bucco

Guey>Tio(a)

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,682 Posts

0 Threads

#7 16 years ago
MaximusI would take a Colt .45 at close range over it anyday.

I can gurantee you that the carbine's stories of low powered ness are ussally exagerated. I mean one shot isn't going to bring a guy down but you have a 15 round magazine tap sevral rounds on the guy shoot him 3-4 times. I doubt he is going to stop and say hay these .30 carbine rounds are weak. I think the carbine is perfect right now a good all a round mid range weapon better than a pistol but weaker than a rifle altough give the class one more magazine.

SensesFail

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

112 Posts

0 Threads

#8 16 years ago
CMSGT JohnsonWell thx much for all of this great feedback :} Good stuff! Thx for the clarafication of these things, and thx for lookin into stuff Hartman. You guys are great! :}

in real life though I remember reading accounts of how ineffective the Carbine was against the enemy...

One account was a marine (who was on Betio) that was saying he shot of a couple of round into a larger (fatter) Japanese soldier while the man was running and he didn't go down...They kept saying how the Carbine ammo was ineffective against larger and huskier enemies who were able to take a few rounds before dying or being so injured they had to fall...

maybe the carbine was more effective against skinnier people, and I would like to see it beefed up in FH, but in real life that gun wasn't very powerful at all...I'd take it over having just a Colt .45 though...heh, having two weapons is always better than one...

-TRR-Crib Deth

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

8th October 2003

0 Uploads

17 Posts

0 Threads

#9 16 years ago

I actually own one...the cartrige is quite a bit smaller than a rifle cartrige. I've not had a chance to test it powerwise cause I don't hunt but from everything I've been able to dig up the round can be compared to a .357 magnum as far as penetration and stopping power with muzzle velocity being higher than it's pistol counterpart. Not bad, but nowhere near the Garand or K98. Those cartriges are in a completely different league.......

Maximus

I follow teh Moo!

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

700 Posts

0 Threads

#10 16 years ago

My grandpa used a Carbine in the pacific and liked it much more than a garand simply because it was light. He was also a good shot having hunted all his life, so maybe he could place the weaker bullets in leathal places.