Blistex²

Repeat Sex Offender

50 XP

20th November 2003

0 Uploads

269 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago
KämpferAny ideas what those track attachments are called that were designed to help in movement in snow and mud?

I know exactly what you're talking about. . . but for some reason can't find the correct spelling. They were something along the lines of "shruchen" or I might not even be close.

They were small plates bolted onto the tracks of Panzer III's and IV's that stuck out over the edges and few inches to make the treads wider.

BlitzPig_Machine

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

182 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

No clue...I look forward to reading about it though.

The T-80 track for the M4A3E8 (HVSS) was wider than the ones used on previous Shermans and provided better mobility...but that's about as much as I know about specific track stuff.

Mazz

BFE-WAW

50 XP

16th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,245 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

you taking about the right thing but using the wrong word i think. schurzen is the word for the added armor plates used on late model panzer IIIs and the Panzer IV H. "Panzer IVs serving in Russia, were equipped with wider "winter tracks" (Winterketten) and since the Spring of 1944, with even wider "eastern tracks" (Ostketten)." I think this is what u are talking about or at least this is all i could seem to find but u are talking about track attachments and these are new tracks

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Germans IIRC called them Ostketten

Americans called them grousers, or depending on the stype duckbills.

The problem was for US and Germans was that they had a tendancy to snap off if you caught them on something, like ran over a rock or curb.

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Anlushac11Germans IIRC called them Ostketten

Americans called them grousers, or depending on the stype duckbills.

The problem was for US and Germans was that they had a tendancy to snap off if you caught them on something, like ran over a rock or curb.

Yep, thats what I remember reading. They had to to take them off when going across bridges made for the tanks then put them back on once they were across, not the easiest task.

AussieZaitsev

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2003

0 Uploads

1,970 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

yep, the problem with the germans Ostketten was, if they wre attached it made the berth of the tank to wide for standard german military bridges, thus meaning the wehrmacht had to unbolt and bolt on the tracks of 200+ tanks just to get across one bridge

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

Boy you figure that, with all their ingenuity during the war, they'd have figured out to just make the damn bridges wider. :)

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago
Solo4114Boy you figure that, with all their ingenuity during the war, they'd have figured out to just make the damn bridges wider. :)

Designing(not a big deal), constructing, and then reequipping every motorized division with these new bridges might be a while.

Last Of The Mohjasons

Blah Blah Blah Blah

50 XP

29th September 2005

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

Something posted in another forum: The "Super Pershing" a re-worked T26E1 with the T15E1 90mm gun installed and re-designated T26E4 , pilot number 1, registration number 30103292 never fired a shot in anger, the war ended before it saw action, the vehicle was later found rusting away in a vehicle "bone yard" outside Kassel Germany in June 1945. This tank was the victim of several screw-ups, one the was it was shipped with the wrong sight, that and the army mis-dierected its ammunition to the wrong unit, a Tank Destroyer unit that wanted to know why the new 90mm shells were 12 " to long for their new test T8 90mm guns!

Mazz

BFE-WAW

50 XP

16th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,245 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

look at the last post date for this thread Avil. CHRIST! at least you used the search, for what i have no idea