Ladigue

An island in the Seychelles

50 XP

4th February 2004

0 Uploads

216 Posts

0 Threads

#51 14 years ago
Gen'l KnightI'm glad you mentioned this, Ladigue. In the last week or so this would explain some of what I've experienced, getting blasted by tanks I can't see.

Yeah, it's sometimes quite common on some servers. Really easy to do and PB does not catch it. However, it comes with a cost. People using that exploit/cheat cannot really fight up close as, when playing as infantry, the least zoomed view they have is the normal zoomed one. They do bad in melees, but rack up lots of kills over long distances. Their rifle fire is far more accurate than say the sniper kit. Same with automatic weapons even. LaDigue

Ladigue

An island in the Seychelles

50 XP

4th February 2004

0 Uploads

216 Posts

0 Threads

#52 14 years ago

Just to show how the cheat affects game play. First, a pic called "normalview.jpg"... a view on El Alamein where I face another tank without cheating in the British base. Then a pic called "cheatview.jpg"...where I am now inside the tank I was facing in the previous pic, but have turned the cheat on and easily hit and take out the tank I was in a minute ago. Note that the position and distance of tanks has not changed. The last pic, "driving.jpg", illustrates what it looks like for these cheaters when they're driving and in the 3rd person view. This cheat does not really help that much with a tank like early model PZIV with a really curvy ballistic trajectory, but it makes a tremendous difference if you're in a Panther or other tank with a flat a fun trajectory. BR, LaDigue

Real-BadSeed

Science experiment

50 XP

5th December 2004

0 Uploads

3,799 Posts

0 Threads

#53 14 years ago

hmmm explains some fishy play, alright.. i think i know some of these cheaters already, guys that hit you one shot from across the map..... this needs to be reported to PB and explained to them how its acheived i wish people caught cheating got universal EA ban by hashmarks. so never can play online again, with that copy.

Arisaka

Staff suffers from PCD

50 XP

16th August 2004

0 Uploads

1,495 Posts

0 Threads

#54 14 years ago

those samples are far worse (as in (more) obvious cheat) than the ones in the thread that discussed this topic some time ago. while i think that increasing lod-distance (but not renderdistance) is perfectly ok (even though i myself don't have the system for it), your case is not even in the grey zone. however i would like to point out that there should be a legal field of view range which permits people to customize it to their screens (size, distance from monitor, etc) and other factors. currently it's 90 degrees, and assuming that the monitor takes up around 30-40 degrees the legal range could for instance be 50 - 110 degrees or similar. this can be measured in screenshots! and by adding a template on top of the screens admins can very quickly determine whether it's within the agreed legal limits. i only hope the admins on the major servers could come to some agreement for the 0.7 release. :uhm:

Real-BadSeedthis needs to be reported to PB and explained to them how its acheived

first of all i don't think PB can do anything about it. second i bet PB would mess up the fix, causing some autoban on normal settings.

Real-BadSeed

Science experiment

50 XP

5th December 2004

0 Uploads

3,799 Posts

0 Threads

#55 14 years ago

being able to increase your viewdistance, any amount... is in my opinion cheating! everyone should be forced to play with the same settings. this "my comp is better so i should be allowed to cheat a little" is garbage! this will not increase the number of players, in the game... it will reduce it. because most players despise cheats. and, as soon as it gets out about this cheat. people will start screaming "cheat" left and right. it must be elliminated or will cause nothing but problems with accusations.

Arisaka

Staff suffers from PCD

50 XP

16th August 2004

0 Uploads

1,495 Posts

0 Threads

#56 14 years ago

this isn't the clubclass or xbox/tv-console world. and increasing LOD (!)-distance is not cheating (even a little). increasing rendering distance is.

Frederf

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

2nd March 2004

0 Uploads

2,156 Posts

0 Threads

#57 14 years ago

Right. LOD Distance is just upping the quality of the game. It doesn't give you any more info, like viewdistance.