Az*

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

3rd November 2003

0 Uploads

107 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Hey i need some opinions on FH maps,we have a server running but are undecided what maps to have on it as tbh quite a few are shit n thats being kind. We wont be hosting any of the fan map pack,the below maps are what we have decided on we just wanna know if there are anymore good maps that any of you maybe know of. OMG El Alemain BoB Iwo jima wake island adak island Gazala Valarisk Kharkov Winter Zelina gora idway Tobruk

cheers :)

Uncle_Sam

Pass me a Lucky Strike...

50 XP

23rd December 2003

0 Uploads

1,120 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Operation Market Garden, Battle of the Bulge, Wake Island, El Alamein, Stalingrad, Valirsk, Kharkov Winter, Zielina gora, Karelia...thats the kinda rotation I would like to see. If you aren't running the mappack, there isn't really anymore to add.

LeopardSeal

Back in the "Good old days"...

50 XP

20th December 2003

0 Uploads

334 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Sounds good, once you get it set up, just let us know where the server is (and what it's called).

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Don't play Adak, it's boring as shit. Don't play wake, it's horribly unbalanced. As is Market Garden and Bocage. Play Valirisk, El Al (it's not balanced but it's a playable map), BotB, Gazala.. maps that have a lot of possibility in them.

Do NOT play the obviously unbalanced maps. Orel is boring and has too many flags. Most of FH's maps are horrid beyond belief. It makes me wonder why BG isn't much more popular.

Kingrudolf

Fan FH Mapper

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,345 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

No Adak please.. it's boring.. No Wake, boring.. No Midway, well you know what I'm about to say. I'm glad finally someone realises that many "fan" maps are, well, kinda crap. Except for Battle for Korsun, the only map from the fan mappack I like, you should run it. I would run pretty much every official FH map, and many of the "original" maps, like El Alamein, Market Garden, Stalingrad maybe, the Russians always camp the Germans there, Bocage, you know, the usual. Say are you hosting Battle of Britain or Battle of the Bulge? I hope it'll be the Bulge. Btw, Orel is a nice map too. Maybe it does lag now and then, but I just love Stuka-ing those Russians..

Nordic

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

30th October 2003

0 Uploads

22 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Hi Im having a problem with Gazala map, it loads about 75% of bar then crashes...

Az*

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

3rd November 2003

0 Uploads

107 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

Cheers fellaz for ur thoughts,i will remove adak,wake and middway as a few ppl have said they dislike these maps. Im gonna add Stalingrad as i 4got about that map and maybe we will add korsun,and even though omg is unbalanced we all like the map and can put up with the typhoons dominating for now atleast,we do like the look of orel but even with a top of the range pc the slowdown is unbelievable so atm this map wont be on the rotation. omg stalingrad El Alemain BoB (bulge) Iwo jima Gazala Valarisk Kharkov Winter Zelina gora Tobruk Karelia

At the minute i cant find the dewd with admin to sort my ftp details etc so it maybe take 1-2 days b4 its sorted,it will be admined so shud be able to have a few gg's on it. I will post IP as soon as i sort that map list out,atm to many ppl leave the server when bs maps come on like the kaukasus (sp) etc so we aint gonna use it untill the map list is sorted.

cheers :)

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

From what I've seen:

OMG -- a decent map, but ONLY if the Germans can get a flag early in the game. If they don't, they spend the entire map on the other side of the bridge getting killed as they cross. This can end up as a very unbalanced map, or as a fairly evenly done map. the key problem is positioning -- the Allies have the advantage. The result is that if they get set up in defensive position, given the nature of this mod, it'll be MUCH easier to defend against an assault force than it will be for the assault force to attack the position. I'd recommend you leave this one out, at least 'til 0.6 comes out and maybe even after that. This map just isn't made well for FH.

Stalingrad -- unless the team is made up of retards, the Allies will almost always win this map and box the axis into thier main base, at which point, the map becomes a slaughterfest and not much fun. The PPSh basically wins the day and has the same effect as the panzerfaust for the axis on tank maps -- it's basically unbeatable in the hands of a competent opponent. Plus, this map is VERY small for FH and the fog has been removed (which makes it functionally even smaller). I'd leave this one out if I were you, but some folks seem to like it. Reminds me of the old Berlin map, though.

Zielna-Gora -- A lot of people like this map, though personally I think it's way too small and ends up becoming one sided for either team pretty quickly. Again, because defense is so much easier than offense, once you get folks into position, they're pretty hard to get out. Again, though, some folks like this map, but I don't know why. It just seems small to me.

Karelia -- This map blows hot and cold for many players, I think. If it's an even game, the map can be a lot of fun, but if the russians lose their capturable flag, it's all over. the Germans set up defenses and that's that. It's just a ticket bleed after that point. Likewise if the Germans lose their flag. To me, this map would be great if it had one more flag as kind of a no-man's-land in the middle of the map, rather than two capturable flags and two bases. I'd take this one out as it's just kind of an exercise in frustration once a team takes the other team's capturable flag.

Tobruk -- didn't even know this one was FH-converted. I may have to give it a try.

Wernheim -- one of the fan maps, and one of the few that I like, though a v2.0 would be good. My main problem with this map is that the Germans have only one exit from their base, so it's VERY easy to bottle them up in there. That said, if the fighting takes place outside the base, this is one of, in my opinion at least, the best urban maps out there if only because it's actually big enough to do justice to this mod. It ain't a pretty map, though, so don't play it for looks. :)

Korsun -- also an excellent fan-map and another of the few really good ones. Nicely spaced out, plenty of interesting tactics to try, etc. I'd add this one in for variety.

Valirisk -- a tricky map. If the Russians can GET to the flags, the map can get interesting. If the germans grab jeeps and take the flags close to the Russians, it's over for the Russkies. The German tanks will demolish the Russian ones, and the Panzerfaust is particularly deadly on this map. That said, if the fighting occurs in the middle area it can be a lot of fun. I'd still like to see the capture points spread out a bit more, though.

Bagration -- the placement of the flags on this one is kind of funky, but it can still be fun. The last of the fan maps I'd include.

All the rest seem pretty good given their scale and relative balancing. You'll find most of the maps with the Japanese are pretty unbalanced in favor of the US. Hopefully 0.6 will address most of the balance issues. WOLF servers, where I admin, has recently added the pacific maps back in, and they're fun, but often have the US win on equipment advantages alone. That said, competent players can tip that balance, as the US/Japan balance isn't as skewed as the Germans/everyone else balance usually is (or the Russians/Germans balance on urban infantry-only maps -- that PPSh is MURDER, man...).

lumpeh

FH Groupie

50 XP

25th September 2003

0 Uploads

1,174 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

Karelia is a bad bad map gameplay wise right now. I would not rotate it till they address the balance issues with it.

Kingrudolf

Fan FH Mapper

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,345 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

Solo4114, I know a tactic for the Valirisk map that requires only four things, that will make the Germans lose the whole round with a big defeat. You need two experienced tankers, two T34/85's, and drive to the German base. There's an interesting ambush spot, where you can easily destroy their reinforcements. The Russians will automatically conquer all the flags, and the Germans lose the round. I can't tel you the ambush spot, just try a few routes.. I haven't been discovered once by the Germans when ambushing, neither did my comrade when we started picking the Germans of as if it was shooting ducks in a barrel.

Anyway, Wernheim must be one of the worst maps in the mappack. The map is unbalanced, and looks terrible. The ground texture is one and the same, and the map layout is crap. Or how about the sandbag bug? Pisses me off. The Germans start with the Panther, which is twice as strong as the the T34. Now the Russians need to conquer a spawn first to get the T34. The Germans also go for the nearest spawn, and they get a nice present too. The PanzerIVH, which has the same powerful turret as the Panther. Now that's a Panther and PanzerIVH vs. a T34. Now guess who will win.. the Russian will eventually get camped, and once they lose their last spawn (the railway station) they'll be camped for the rest of the round.

The railway station is, once it is conquered by the Germans, almost uncapturable, the flag is in the wide open, and any Russian infantry gets immediately wiped down. The Russian main base has terrible cover to, they spawn in the open, and are really pinned down on both sides. Their only option is to walk West, crossing the river and get a spawn there, because other than that they don't have a chance. Yeah, you can bazooka all the tanks you want, but it ain't gonna work, the bazooka's are too weak for one hit kills, and theres always a German engineer around. Add the fact that the German tanks have multiple MG positions.. do I need to continue?

And Baggration.. you don't want me to say anything about that.. badly layed out.. boring map, not exactly eye candy either. Also, that map offers very little transport, and no one wants to walk miles for a spawn.

Say about the server.. I really hope you will not activate TK punisment.. I hate it so much when I accidentally shoot a teammate and die inside my tank, leaving it for the enemies. In fact, I often get spawncamped by the very tank I died in, theres always an enemy around who rather captures the tank than destroying it. I would advice having a max. amount of 24-32 players.. otherwise it'll either be too boring, or it'll run crap. Hope the admins will be mature and cool persons too. You know, just the opposite of the 21st Pzr server.