Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I am curious how many FH players have decent systems that can handle less fog, larger maps and more vehicles, and FH players that have old or low end systems and really need limitations that most players do not like.

Peacekeeper<..>

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

6th December 2003

0 Uploads

28 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

I am not sure why you put the big map, less fog? less fog = less lag = less processes. Maybe big map, more fog? I like mid size maps =P, size of Iwo Jima, Wake, Guadalcanal, Kharkov Winter is about the largest map I like. Most of those big maps, take too long to get anywhere, sometimes. After the fighting starts, they never seems to be enough tanks or jeeps to get around.

B.F. Pierce

FHmod Mapper

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

763 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

He means View Distance, not fog ;)

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Peacekeeper~ Less fog => greater view distance => more objects drawn at once => higher poly count => increased system load [and thus, lag].

B.F. Pierce

FHmod Mapper

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

763 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

nope, objects viewed through fog are still rendered (because you can still see their highlights in the fog.

Like I said, view distance not fog, those are two separate entities in the map's init.con

Leo-The-L337-Llama

Not Funny

50 XP

11th June 2003

0 Uploads

407 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

I have a high end system, but I don't like huge battles. Too much goes on, and most of the time points are so spread out across the map that you spend the entire game taxiing between points. Capture one point, and then 5 seconds later the enemy starts to take another point halfway across the map. It's just a wild goose chase (prokhorovka, orel for example).

If there was a way to make a large map and still keep it interesting, that would be excellent. But I have never seen a map that can do this. BG42's Operation Citadel is a cool looking map, but it is just plain boring to play. Sure,there are a lot of vehicles in that map, but there's just so much space that the vehicles hardly ever see each other. Big maps = boring.

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

I would enjoy some more big open maps, for some nice tank battles. Not too many trees or other things to chew polys to pieces.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

The more the merrier. Prokhorovka is my favorite due to the tank battles. It is not quite to the desperate pitched battles I want it to be yet.

striderx2048

DiCE/EA: Ambiguously Gay Duo

50 XP

16th May 2002

0 Uploads

2,073 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

in conclusion. less fog does not more. its drawn wether you see it or not.

GI_JOEjk

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

13th February 2004

0 Uploads

142 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

The ONLY time you need a big map is if you have an island and/or aircraft, especially bombers... I have noticed that most fighting happens in and around the bases, and on the roads between them. Thus, a huge map means a player will have to "hoof it", and I know how much we all hate that. Its all about GAMEPLAY DESIGN ([color=red]design a level's playability before starting to build it[/color])!!! You can't have too many big open areas, they just turn into mass killing zones (and eats up CPU/graphics resources). Remember one thing, just because a level is historicaly accurate dosen't mean it will be fun to play (this goes for vehicles too)... You will always have to put some kind of "twist" into a level to make it fun, maybe something players aren't expecting. Regarding the slower PCs: People are going to have to upgrade to more powerfull coputers no matter what. Thats just a fact of life...:deal: