Meadow

You might very well think that

50 XP

21st February 2004

0 Uploads

3,000 Posts

0 Threads

#22 16 years ago
'[SaSSgtMajor_Rock']I would say medics would be great, but they should not have a nice weapon like a Thompson, give them a Carbine or something.

Um... no? NO WEAPONS FOR MEDICS. THEY DIDN'T CARRY THEM. THEY DIDN'T ENGAGE THE ENEMY. THEY HUNG BACK AND HELPED MEN WHO WERE HIT BY FIRE. Christ, I would have thought players of a realism mod would know about these things. Ever seen BoB? Despite some of its historical failures (good on the whole though), the scene in the Battle of the Bulge with the medic getting medical supplies, when the others go off to fight (something like that), he goes with them, but doesn't go into combat, but the stretcher bearers do, armed with pistols I think in case of close combat. On the whole, the medic system went something like this: - 4-6 Stretcherbearers. Lightly armed, basic medical skills, carry stretchers to get men to the medic. - 1-2 Medics. NOT ARMED. Do operations on wounded soldiers to allow them to go back home, not to continue fighting. - 1-2 Nurses. Male or Female, just people who look after the wounded or ill in the medic camps, and possibly drive the ambulances. - Maybe a doctor/surgeon. Some friendly French, Dutch, Belgian etc doctors from liberated towns showed the gratitude by offering to help the medical corps. - 1 ambulance - Maybe a couple of converter jeeps with stretchers strapped on the back. The whole medic system was designed to get men off the frontline and back home safely. IE: If this mod wants to be realistic, medics aren't really going to be used. I like the idea of ambulances driving round to pick up wounded though, I think the medic idea should stop there though.

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#23 16 years ago
Invalid CrashHey look at me I'm an engy with a magic wrench that truns the 1 crucial bolt to fix the aircraft carrier. Of course its not realistic but its even better, it encourages TEAMWORK. We need medics. There used to be medic kits you picked up and could only use to heal others, why they took that out I have no idea.

Karelia, Axis Beach flag, in the bunker. Crete, the Allied Hangar flag, by the med cabinet. I can't think of any more right now, but they sure as hell are still in.

Kakoru

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

18th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,050 Posts

0 Threads

#24 16 years ago

Well I don't see why we should sacrafice too much teamwork for 100% realism.

Cpl. Joker

Go For Broke!

50 XP

6th March 2004

0 Uploads

14 Posts

0 Threads

#25 16 years ago

Didn't every soldier (at least US) carry a small aid kit with Sulfa, bandages and Morphine? Having every class carry a med pack would be silly, but it would be interesting to see the officer class be able to heal. The pack (if possible) would not heal the user, but could be used on teammates.

Regular medics would be hard to work in, because no-one wants to play with just a knife!

hawkeye47x

death by eXpak

50 XP

13th February 2004

0 Uploads

33 Posts

0 Threads

#26 16 years ago

my great uncle gene was a coreman (sp), and he carried a colt he said the sidearm was standard issue... not just a knife. and a fellow coreman of his carried a thompson off of a dead soldier he was close with. that probably was not uncommon for medic soldiers to do (self protection would be high in my books at war)

Hedgemus

I Like Pie!

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#27 16 years ago

I don't see what the problem would be if mappers put a few medic kits in the maps. That way if someone wants to be a medic and help out his fellow comrads then he can do so. If no one wants to be a medic, then it will be like it is now.

As far as arming the medic, he should atleast get a rifle so people can protect themselves while they are out healing others.

As far as having the ambulance with the healing radius, that kinda seems a little unrealistic. It just would seem odd that when you are in a fire fight and wound a guy an ambulance pulls up and starts healing him while he is shooting at you without having to get into it. I guess it would be the same for the human medic, but atleast you could shoot him so he would stop healing. Whats wrong with having people hop in the back of the ambulance to get healed?

Meadow

You might very well think that

50 XP

21st February 2004

0 Uploads

3,000 Posts

0 Threads

#28 16 years ago

Make people get in the back, and the ambulance is 0% armour, so very easy to destroy.

Medics were not armed! They picked up weapons from others if they really had to, but most medics were actually pacifists who had wanted to do their bit by helping the wounded, not killing the enemy.

SgtBigglesworth

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

10th November 2003

0 Uploads

141 Posts

0 Threads

#29 16 years ago

MeadowMake people get in the back, and the ambulance is 0% armour, so very easy to destroy.

Medics were not armed! They picked up weapons from others if they really had to, but most medics were actually pacifists who had wanted to do their bit by helping the wounded, not killing the enemy.

The idea was that they wouldn't be shot at by the enemy....wether the enemy respected that or not is debatable but at least there was that implication. However an unarmed medic in FH would just be easy pickings for the opposition.

I personally would like to see the medic class back again - with a rifle or pistol, and a medic pack, without the ability to heal himself.

It promotes teamplay. Which is realistic. People running arround scattered not giving eachother cover etc... is just not how it happened. So surely a mod focusing on historical accuracy would want to promote realistic gameplay.

Kakoru

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

18th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,050 Posts

0 Threads

#30 16 years ago

Hey, I was just wondering something. Did the germans carried both a panzerfraust and a K98 at the same time?? Looks pretty heavy :(