okiN

Duke

50 XP

27th August 2003

0 Uploads

495 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

I thought this was supposed to be fixed? The cone of fire is bigger while running, sure, but because the gun has such an awesome ROF and appears to be freakishly accurate just the same, it can still be used very effectively as a CQB assault weapon. Is that what you (The devs) were going for?

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

more recoil perhaps? It's the same with the others like Bren too.

Sputty

Master of Kittens

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

927 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Huh? Running and gunning with any of the MGs makes it so innacurrate it's only effective at about 1 meter, and even then an SMG will kill the MG usually, as will a rifler at that range as their weapons are far more accurate.

Lateralus

Ad astra per aspera.

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

441 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago
okiNI thought this was supposed to be fixed? The cone of fire is bigger while running, sure, but because the gun has such an awesome ROF and appears to be freakishly accurate just the same, it can still be used very effectively as a CQB assault weapon. Is that what you (The devs) were going for?

The MG42 was an effective close quarters weapon (meaning less than 10 yards), simply due to its rate of fire. If a real-life German maschinengewehrer came across an enemy just a few yards away, what do you think he would do? He would raise his weapon and fire at him. Firing an MG42 from the hip was not a common or effective tactic, but it would be done in that situation. What do you propose, that the damn bullets turn around and go backwards? Perhaps you should try not engaging a machine gunner from point blank range if you expect to survive.

okiN

Duke

50 XP

27th August 2003

0 Uploads

495 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Sputty, I disagree. An SMG trooper will beat him, sure, but a rifleman usually bites the dust when he comes across a machinegunner at close range.

Lateralus: I'm no expert, but I find it VERY hard to believe that a person could just run around with such a long, heavy weapon and use it effectively at any range, especially when you take into consideration the MG's huge recoil. Think about what you're saying here. And I don't remember mentioning point blank range; that gun can seriously kick ass while running even at a moderate distance.

Then there's also the matter of the cone of fire actually making no differance. Not only does it seem to fail to depict the gun's accuracy very well, there's also a way to make it's effects null and void altogether. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about, but I won't say it out loud in case someone doesn't. That little bug also needs to be dealt with, since it makes charging a tank with a Pzfaust or attacking a flag with an MG just as easy as it ever was. And now that I'm at it, I guess I could also bring up that the panzerfaust is still reloadable, although I don't see why they wanted to make it non-reloadable in the first place.

ArminAce

I follow teh Moo!

50 XP

21st December 2002

0 Uploads

678 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

if you belive it or not but the mg3 & 42 can be fired while standing from the hip ... its hard to aim on targets thes first time ... but with a little bit of experience you can hit your target

TommyGunDaliani

Cesare

50 XP

26th June 2003

0 Uploads

1,717 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

Yea ive seen people fire those, and empty belts firing from the shoulder as well as the hip. I know engaging at like 6 meters with a mg42 that other guys would eat mausers for 3 secs. Mgs in fh are perfectly fine.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

612 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Only used an MG42 like that once, and at the range I fired I'm certain an MG42 gunner could get a kill. It may be inaccurate, but at 5 metres does it matter?

TheWharGoul

Tank Modeller

50 XP

18th March 2004

0 Uploads

221 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

haha.. You can do a lot of things you would think not possible when your life is on the line. Even if you didnt hit the guy.. you freaked him out enough that he will hit the dirt.. this is all IRL.. Now on BF is another matter. cause they guy your firing at isnt excatly fighting for his life as if it was his only one. so they might not react the same.. but its doable..

okiN

Duke

50 XP

27th August 2003

0 Uploads

495 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

Ok, if you guys say so...

By the way, is the weapon switch = instant accuracy problem a BF thing or a FH bug?