Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

5cm - Granatwerfer

The small 5 cm Granatwerfer 36 was developed by the company Rheinmetall. It was a relatively complicated design, and although it used a special optical aiming device it proved to be disappointingly inaccurate with a deviation of 35m. The Gr.W. 36 had a length of 46.5cm and weighed only 14kg. It fired the Wurfgranate 38, a 22cm long round that weighed 900g and carried 120g of explosives. At a Vo of 75m/s the maximum range was 520m. Without the seperate optical aiming device one Gr.W.36 cost 400,- RM. A total of 25,842 Gr.W.36 were built from 1939 to 1943, when production ceased. Total production of the Wurfgranate 38 ammunition was 22,112,000 from 1939 to 1943. The projected successor model leichter Granatwerfer 40 was scratched because the required maximum range of 800m could not be reached.

8cm - Granatwerfer

The german standard mortar was the 8cm Granatwerfer 34 or Gr.W.34. Developed by Rheinmetall in 1932, it proved to be a very reliable weapon and was immediately accepted. The tube had a length of 114.3cm, the complete mortar weighed 57kg including the 19kg tube. To produce it, 117kg of raw material were neccessary, the weapon cost 810,- RM (Reichsmark). At the beginning of WW II the german army possessed 4624 Gr.W.34. The weapon was kept in production all through the war with another 71,630 produced from 1939 to 1945.The vehicle-mounted version of the weapon carried the designation Granatwerfer 67, abbreviated Gr.W.67.

12cm - Granatwerfer

After germany attacked russia in 1941, they encountered the large russian PM 38 12cm mortars. Not only were any captured weapons immediately used in german service under the designation 12cm Granatwerfer 378(r), the germans were so impressed by this weapon that they immediately prepared to produce their own copies. This design was called 12cm Granatwerfer 42. The tube had a length of 186.5cm and the complete weapon weighed 285kg. It fired the Wurfgranate 42 that had a length of 72.1cm and weighed 15.8kg incl. 3.1kg of explosives. The warhead was usually fitted with the Abstandsz├╝nder 41 ("distance detonator") extender fuse. With a Vo of 283 the maximum range was slightly over 6km. The weapon proved a very successful design, total production (1943-1945) was 8,461 12cm Gr.W.42; it was comparably cheap and cost the germans 1,200.- RM apiece to produce. Of it's ammunition, the Wurfgranate 42, a total of 5,373,000 was built from 1943 - 1945

shrinerr

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

1,258 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Most people think they are needed.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Purpose of posting that was making clear they were heavily used weapons, far more common in the german army then most famous german tanks we enjoy.

Other countries even used them more....

If the FH devs "ruined" tank warfare with Panzerfausts, that are in fact a mortar related weapons, why then not "ruin" infantry combat with mortars also ? Infantry is far stronger as they should be on a battlefield already, i suppose to please the large Quake III fragger type group of FH players.

In fact, APC's would be perfect platforms for mounting heavier ones, or dropping medium ones. The light versions can be carried by infantry themselves.

The represent a weapon type that is not in bf1942/FH yet : a near 90 degree arching weapon able to hit targets behind tall obstructions and effectively cut down infantry in open area's.

Artillery cannot fire behind tall obstructions, their barrel can't be raised high enough, and they cannot hit a target at short range behind a obstructing object neither.

The mortar is in the gap between the handgrenade and artillery......currently that is a huge miss in ways to attack a defended position.

Mortar raping or inproper use can easily be prevented......they weren't the most accurate weapons around......

shrinerr

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

1,258 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

I think you've made you're point..as usual..

[11PzG]matyast

[11PzG] clan leader

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,175 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Eventhough we would have understood even if you would have compressed that into a few sentences.......and I agree mortars are needed.

P.S. This belongs in the suggestion part of the forums....

shrinerr

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

1,258 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

Yes compression of you're posts would be helpful;) But anyway I suspect It will be added later

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

'[11PzGmatyast']

P.S. This belongs in the suggestion part of the forums....

For obvious reasons, not even 1 out of 100 forum visitors goes there so it is less effective posting there for what i want.

I want a discussion if possible if the idea has any support from as many other FH players first, not nessesarely asking the devs if it can be implemented or not in a direct way.

In general forums more people read it and can bring on better idea's, related issues or simply say it is a bad idea. If there is massive support, maybe devs will be more obliged to consider an idea then when it is asked by a single poster. Suggestion forums is more a direct asking the devs way, in my opinion.

That is why.

Nijo

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

20th August 2003

0 Uploads

140 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

Mortars would be nice to have, for sure.

shrinerr

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

1,258 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

And because most of the ''suggestions'' in the Suggestions section are a load of crap. All this crap like ''living animals'' gees who ever started that thread I want to kill..

[11PzG]matyast

[11PzG] clan leader

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,175 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

Ok, still, I believe this thread needs no descussion. You want mortars, everyone wants mortars....what is there to discuss?

Also, the suggestion threads are read by the Devs(hopefully) therefore this needs to go there.....since I presume that the devs will do the models and effects, and not us.