Valdez

Dread pwns me!

50 XP

23rd November 2003

0 Uploads

456 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Well I was playing the atlantic and I was in a german U-boat. Well this destoryer comes up on me, I dive and the exlposions thus far only cause 1 health bar to go away. Well I dived to near crushing depth, and I know the destroyer is up there with the ping getting louder and faster. Well guess what? I didn't get hit. And I asked the guy he was dropping charges the entire time! So deep level diving at least in teh atlantic will help you avoid the depth chargers, but not escape, but at east you could dive be safe, surface fire torpedoes and dive again to reload. Just thought you people would like to know, for I read a thread somewhere about why dive it doesn't do anything.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago
ValdezWell I was playing the atlantic and I was in a german U-boat. Well this destoryer comes up on me, I dive and the exlposions thus far only cause 1 health bar to go away. Well I dived to near crushing depth, and I know the destroyer is up there with the ping getting louder and faster. Well guess what? I didn't get hit. And I asked the guy he was dropping charges the entire time! So deep level diving at least in teh atlantic will help you avoid the depth chargers, but not escape, but at east you could dive be safe, surface fire torpedoes and dive again to reload. Just thought you people would like to know, for I read a thread somewhere about why dive it doesn't do anything.

Yep, that was me.....i tested that extensively in bf1942 and it had no effect do dive deeper then periscope depth at all, depthcharges were always lethal if dropped on top of you.

If what you say is true, we should thank the FH devs very much ! Then diving deeper then periscope depth has a purpose, like it should have and you can try to escape the destroyer like real subs did.

I hope the FH devs pay some attention to the hydrophone issue as well.....subs should have a "radar" screen like the destroyer aswell, to represent the hydrophones that located where a threat or target was.

[11PzG]matyast

[11PzG] clan leader

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,175 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

This is a great tip, thx a lot!

MkH^

FH tester

50 XP

25th September 2003

0 Uploads

2,286 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Thanks for the info. I've never even tried to dive to avoild getting depthcharged cuz it thought it was useless, like it's in vanilla.

Mike 51

Bush/Cheney 2004 apparently

50 XP

27th September 2003

0 Uploads

526 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

I've never been depth charged or successfully depth charged anyone. Never seems to work.

LOL actually except on the Altiuetian map, when the allied destroyer spawned on top of the axis one. I was commander and just solidly depth charged and shot at maximum lower elevation and killed about 30 Japanese on the deck. All the American players stopped to watch as my flying destroyer hammered theirs underwater.

Good times... :)

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

If this is true it's a major improvement!

Valdez

Dread pwns me!

50 XP

23rd November 2003

0 Uploads

456 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

yeah, well if the guy I asked was telling the truth and dropping charges. So far at 2'5 depth does nothing, but at just where the red is, (right above it) has worked for me. The guy did go over my spot 3 or 4 times while I was trying to get away very slowly. Didn't die. I think you have to be at a deep depth to work, I will check this out again to see if it happens once more, or the destory was lying and never did try.

Just to let you know I was shocked too I didn't die, and with 4 passes it should be true, my friend played it (with me there) and we were diving and the depth charges got him at 2'5 depth. SO I think you have to go deep to ensure your survival.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Valdezyeah, well if the guy I asked was telling the truth and dropping charges. So far at 2'5 depth does nothing, but at just where the red is, (right above it) has worked for me. The guy did go over my spot 3 or 4 times while I was trying to get away very slowly. Didn't die. I think you have to be at a deep depth to work, I will check this out again to see if it happens once more, or the destory was lying and never did try.

Just to let you know I was shocked too I didn't die, and with 4 passes it should be true, my friend played it (with me there) and we were diving and the depth charges got him at 2'5 depth. SO I think you have to go deep to ensure your survival.

This would be great, and balanced too....

I mean before you can get to that depth when a destroyer spotted you on the surface and comes heading straight for you with guns blazing, you may not reach that depth in time ;)

But when you have a slight chance to escape, it at least becomes challenging to try.

Valdez

Dread pwns me!

50 XP

23rd November 2003

0 Uploads

456 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

oh yes, and I did, now just need to find an atantic map so hard to find to verify what I found. Trust me I am shocked it works.

Someone can host right now and I can find out for sure.

EDIT: So hard to find an atlantic map to verify this.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

Start a game in atlantic and give me your IP.... ;)