el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

I've been playing a bit of FH with NFP (Not For Pussies) settings on the servers, and I'm curious as to how many other people play it like that?

NFP means that tags are off There's no hit indication There's no outside perspective on the vehicles (no nosecam in planes)

IMO it makes the game MORE realistic; you have to ID your opponent with their uniform (at long distances) or be more aware of your minimap at short. Planes are harder (obviously), but using the mouselook function, it's definitely workable. The scariest thing is tanks; you can't see WHO is in it (unless you're habitually checking your minimap). It makes a distant tiger a WHOLE lot more menacing.

Teamkills happen a little more often (especially with noobs in the server), but it's part-and-parcel of war.

Interestingly, it make EOD damn cool, to.

So. Who's tried it?

SimonS.

[11PzG] SimonS

50 XP

10th August 2003

0 Uploads

568 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

How do I do it?

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

It's a server-side setting. If you're setting up the servers you just change all the settings to suit.

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

I haven't really tried it that many times because of the lack of servers running it on these settings. Do you happen to know of any good ones?

CaPtAnInSaYnO

wankasaurus wrex

50 XP

17th October 2003

0 Uploads

292 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

i think we'd all like to know of servers running these settings

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago
CaPtAnInSaYnOi think we'd all like to know of servers running these settings

I'm at work, so I don't have the IP address on hand. Perhaps you can find it in ASE by filtering:

It's a New Zealand server named "Xtra FH NFP" (or similar). Filter for that, you should find it. And if you're not in the South Pacific, you're likely to ping like a maniac. But NFP is definitely worth it - it makes the game that much more visceral.

The Jackalx2k

FHmod Developer

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,214 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

A good while before FH came out I used to play at a server called "[OSF]Ardennes Forest" and they had no nosecam on planes. I think that's what seperates me from other good pilots....the fact that I can fly just as good with cockpit on D:

I have never seen one that has no outside view on land vehicles or planes though...sounds kick ass. I'd like to play on a server like this.

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Our clan had a scrim with some guys that participated in CAL, and they have the tags set to really low. We did not even know this, so needless to say when the game started our pilots bombed a few of our own ;). IMHO no tags is a great setting. However, taking hit-detection away from BF servers is just stupid. And this got nothing to do with "pussies" or "not-pussies". In BF without hit detection it's impossible to tell if you hit or not. In real life when you hit something you can see your bullets bounching/going through it. Hit detection makes it more real by showing you when you hit (like bullet holes/bouncing/blood) in real life. The game does over "puff" smokes and "blood" when you hit someone, unfortunatelly that's only client side. So even though you can see the guy bleeding, it does not mean you even scratched him. So hit-detection just makes it more real (from the unrealistic client-lag-server architecture of the game that does not apply to real life). Is it harder to play without hit detection? Yes. Is it more real? No, infact it's less! As for external views: i know that in real life you can't just look behind your tank with the 'c' key, however in reallife, i think tanks had some kind of side slids that they could look through. This is not present in the game right now. So again, taking out the external views does make it harder and more challenging, but it does [/i]not[/i] make it more real.

pilsn3r

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

4 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

really a like those things exept no-nosecam @ planes since the cocpits are a bit fudged. (crosshairs in wrong place and POWhat only works with saitek or you have to use the mouse

if you steal a tank. be ready to get tk:d. as it is now i often get blasted by my own team when trying to get back to safety/ammo/repair in the right kind of vehicle... no grief but that sucks... (blasted a few friendlies myself also...)

Piispa

Dread thinks I'm a special person

50 XP

20th August 2003

0 Uploads

292 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago
'[SYN As for external views: i know that in real life you can't just look behind your tank with the 'c' key, however in reallife, i think tanks had some kind of side slids that they could look through. This is not present in the game right now. So again, taking out the external views does make it harder and more challenging, but it does [/i]not[/i] make it more real.

No, actually the tankers were pretty much limited in frontal view if the hatches were closed. I once visited in some '50's - '60's era russian tank, don't remember what tank it was (I was like 9 years old), and believe me when I say: you couldn't see SHIT inside it from the little holes the driver used to look out. That's why the hatches were up and the crew popped their heads out when bullets didn't fly around too close by. WW2 tanks were nearly blind in combat and relied very hugely into close infantry support.