emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#41 15 years ago

I think the US used this. But I thought there was a more rounded version of it. http://berg.heim.at/kaprun/430256/html/pages/dodge_wc52_1941.htm

Witch Hunter General

Dread thinks I'm a special person

50 XP

19th May 2003

0 Uploads

350 Posts

0 Threads

#42 15 years ago

3/4 ton truck. they used it in extreme numbers.

Schpetzka

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

177 Posts

0 Threads

#43 15 years ago

Oh yeah, I'd totally forgotten about those. Basicly thier purpose was that of the Bren to carry weapons and tow/carry light crew served weapons. The difference was that they were American :rolleyes: unarmoured and used wheels instead of tracks. They were easier to maintain but weren't as suitable for combat duties as the Bren.

It'd make a nice vehicle for engineers or something, carry extra mines and explosives or barbed wire and be capable of towing the smaller AT guns as well as carrying a few guys.

And adding to the post above. THe Jeep was a 1/4 ton truck and the big Dodge 6x6ers were 2 1/2 ton trucks. This makes a great intermediate vehicle.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#44 15 years ago

Dodge KC-1 1/2 ton truck 1935. The destroyed one on top was photographed at Hickam Field on Dec 7th 1941. http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_dodge_early.php3

Dodge VC-6 1/2 ton 4x4 carryall. 1936 http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_vc6.php3

International Harverster 1/2 ton 4x4 weapons carier. 1941 http://www.olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_ih_m1-4.php3

Brits: Morris CS8 1935. Many were lost at Dunkirk http://www.geocities.com/britsatwar/transport.html

Bedford OX http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/AirspeedNews/ox.html

Ahhh...sleep.

[WOLF] JChaser

WOLF Member At Large

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

45 Posts

0 Threads

#45 15 years ago

Ok, So you said not Halftracks before 42. USA M2 Half Tracks Well the M2 had 3,500 produced in 41 by White and some by Autocar. So there were halftracks around in 41 and was Standardized in 1940. Most of these would not have found there way to the english on crete or the poor marines on wake but they were around. Didn't see real issue unlit May but the us wasn't at war then. Jeeps Jeeps were common issue starting in January of 41. So they would have been common issue to us army units. Marines would have had Dodge T207-WC3 or something similar. Is it worth the work in changing them out no. Almost forgot the M3 command and scout cars. They were around in 39. Britan, They had the universal carrier (Bren carrier) from the ealy years of the war. This was much smaller than a halftrack but it served its purpose. As far as them using US equipment i can find that there were M3 halftracks in BA service in 10/42 and jeeps in 5/42 Before that they used things like the Morris CS8, FAT quad, Bedford 15ctw and other assored trucks including chevy flatbed trucks modified for the LRDP (Long Range Desert Patrols). Does this have a large effect on the realism aspect no. Would i like to see the bren carrier for the brits yes. But a jeep or car no big difference especially when there unarmed.

MeanMrMustard

Such a mean old man

50 XP

15th September 2003

0 Uploads

178 Posts

0 Threads

#46 15 years ago
'[WOLF JChaser'] Before that they used things like the Morris CS8, FAT quad, Bedford 15ctw and other assored trucks including chevy flatbed trucks modified for the LRDP (Long Range Desert Patrols).

Was just gonna mention the LRDG Chevys, beat me to it though :P wd be good to see them in game, specially seeing as we have the SAS jeep, I know the LRDG wasn't primarily a combat unit, but they were armed (had a model of one with a Lewis MG mounted on the back) and would be nice to see on a huge hilly desert map, kinda like El Alamein i spose, or Battleaxe but with a few more drivable roads round the outskirts. Universal Carriers would also be nice to see, they have a model on the front page I believe, but not heard anything more... Harry

Meadow

You might very well think that

50 XP

21st February 2004

0 Uploads

3,000 Posts

0 Threads

#47 15 years ago

Universal Carrier and Bedford OY for the British.

NEXT!

Rahad

Marines goto hell then regroup

50 XP

21st December 2003

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#48 15 years ago
InsaneJakester... Mopeds were introduced in the 1960's or 50's i think BTW Scooter not so sure about. We could also get Go carts YEAY YEAY YEAY VROOM VROOM VRRRoOOM

I know Mussolini had a dream of having an entire armed force equiped with scooters. He did have them equiped because there is old film footage of it, but I couldn't tell you if they ever saw combat.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#49 15 years ago
'[WOLF JChaser']Ok, So you said not Halftracks before 42.

Wrong......read back. I said they reached mass production in 1942.

Jeeps were common issue starting in January of 41. So they would have been common issue to us army units.

No, there weren't common in January 1941. There were various variants produced in numbers by several companies to prove they could handle large output production that was required, but mass production of the jeep we now all know only started late 1941/begin 1942.

Because the jeep and the M2/M2 were not mass produced untill 1942, it is highly unlikely that the ones that were produced, were exported outside the US before 1942. It is impossible that they were the Brittish standard issue vehicles as we know in bf1942/FH in maps before 1942.

That is what i said. And that is what happened.

Anlushac and others linked to the vehicles that were used before 1942 by the brittish.

I don't think it is all important the jeeps before 1942 for the Brittish have to be inmidiatly removed, but in the long run of releases the Devs should consider replacing them by vehicles that were really used. In an interview, that is what BF Pierce said was one of the goals in the mod. I think he was rather thinking of important weapons and vehicles, but when you want to be accurate, jeeps and M2/M3 halftracks cannot exist were they were not there in RL. And the fact that the US army maybe did have some early versions in begin 1941, doesn't mean the Brittish had them, and certainly doesn't mean they were common in the Brittish/Russian army by 1941.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#50 15 years ago

I would like to corect a small oversight on my part. The Dodge WC52 weapons carrier is a 3/4 4x4 vehicle. From what I can gather Dodge and other manufacturers made 1/2 ton weapons carriers from 1940 til 1943 when the Army said they needed a heaveir version. The 3/4 ton wepaons carrier therefore didnt enter service til 1943.

Apparently on the Dodge vehicles any vehicle number over 50 is over 1/2 ton. And any vehicle starting with a M is a post WW2 vehicle.