reeree

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

25th March 2004

0 Uploads

20 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Hello FH community! i'm a relatively new player in the BF1942 scene - been playing 2 months. And in that time i've gone from the initial "wow" experience and fun of learning game to just sick of the experiences i suffer through each night. BF1942 attracted me with the lure of teamwork and strategy and yes, im unashamed to say, immersion into the atmosphere of ww2 battles. sadly, i experience very little of these. So i guess im just wondering if the veterans of your community might help me find a MOD that will fit my style. Someone mentioned Forgotten Hope in addition to some others so i'm here to see if this will save me from using my game discs as beer coasters. if this isnt the place for me could someone be generous with their opinions and possibly save me the download time and hardisk space? Each night and each game just degenerates into Halo type Rambo battles with 10 tanks shooting at 10 enemy tanks or planes carpet bombing spawn points or my teammates shooting each other to steal the vehicles. i'm not looking for extreme realism but some blend of realism/game-balance to make teamwork not only possible but successful. Just seems to me that the game encourages rogue missions by reckless players...i.e. grabbing a tank and trouncing through maps....rambo style is just too easy and its rewarded with success which makes me bored fast. i wish medics and engineers were necessary but nobody cares when you and the tank just going to respawn in a few secs anyways. i just dont feel any sense of accomplishment or progression while playing. vehicles are cool but i just wish they had to be used with more care and sparingly...and with more need from ground support to make offensives successful. ok rant done sorry lol. cheers! and thanks in advance.

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Well if you are truly into WW2 history and 100% accuracy on all accounts, I'd give XWW2 mod a try. If you appreciate gameplay and teamwork a bit and want to see a LOT of really great models and coding inovations along with some great maps, this is the place to be. If you aren't hardcore about historical values but like the more serious WW2 attitude, try out Battlegroup42 / Merciless.

Forgotten Hope's main differences to vanilla BF1942 are as follows:

Standard infantry get a rifle. Rifles kill in one hit (unless you hit an extremity). Machineguns are uber deadly. Tanks require skill and strategy to destroy and are destroyed as easily as any other unit if you know how (no more charging into a base with one) All armor has as close to realistic armor and armor-penetration values as possible. The King Tiger tank is a god of the battlefield, while the paperskinned Sherman takes 1 shell to destroy. They aren't without their usefulness though.

Planes are a little bugged in .6, but they WILL be a lot more difficult to fly. You get (usually, depnds on the plane) 1 bomb per reload. No more 30 bombs per plane.

If anything, give FH a try. If you don't like it (you probably will) then you might want to consider the other mods I've mentioned. If you have any questions about the mod just ask here or in a server, people will usually help out with a minimum of harassment. And as always, RTFM :)

The sense of accomplishment is really prevalent. If you take out a Tiger tank, you're like "hell yeah, i just smoked a Tiger!" and most of the time your team will appreciate the effort. Tigers are very tough tanks and can only be owned from above with handheld anti tank weapons.

The site is kinda out of date as far as vehicles and weapons go, but you'll always have your nation's staple infantry rifle. Japs get the Arisaka 6.5mm, Russians have the Mosin-Nagant/SVT40, Germans have the G43/K98, US has Springfield in the early maps and a Garand in the later ones.

Snipers aren't a spawnable class. You need to find a sniper kit on the ground in order to be one. This adds a lot of atmosphere, as there can only be 1 or 2 snipers per side per map and people aren't in 30x30 sniper wars.

There are issues with balance in desert maps and a few bugs to deal with, but this is a beta. The current version, .6, is WORLDS ahead of .5 and is definately worth a try.

Ohioan

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Here's some screenshots taken from pubs.

Crete, the tiny island that is getting assaulted by German paratroopers. I man a 40mm AA gun... attachment.php?attachmentid=4502&stc=1Here's an actual (not staged) screenshot of those same German paratroopers piled into a Junkers transport plane, heading over to Crete. attachment.php?attachmentid=4505&stc=1An IS-2, a heavy Russian tank, one of the many beautiful models in the game. With a 120mm gun, this tank oblitherates anything it hits, with the exception of it's arch enemy, the King Tiger... attachment.php?attachmentid=4503I hide an MG42 in some bushes and watch the "shore" of Stalingrad for approaching Russian boats. My entire team seen in the minimap is defending the shore from them. If they get on shore, it's not easy to win the map, as the Russians have the PpsH. attachment.php?attachmentid=4504&stc=1The Tiger tank I mentioned above rolls beneath my position. I was hitting them from the top as they came but I ran out of ammo, so I tell the 105mm Arty gunner at the end of the road to get ready. Tigers mean business. attachment.php?attachmentid=4506&stc=1

Ohioan

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

And I had to include this one. It's me on a MG34 position guarding the path on Omaha Beach (not the Dice one, we have a better one). I'm gunning down a poor fool who thought he could just walk up there unopposed.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4507&stc=1

MGs (machinegun emplacements) aren't NEARLY as useless as they were in vanilla BF. 1 hit kills in most cases, and you aren't exposed when you get on one like you were in vanilla bf. A single MGer can hold back 20 or 30 enemy troops without getting hit. It's still possible to snipe them out of there, but it certainly isn't easy, as only the top inch of their head is exposed. Also, there are .... attachment.php?attachmentid=4508&stc=1 ..Deployable MG kits. You pick the kit up, find a place to put it down, and set up your very own custom placed machinegun mount. These kits aren't limited to the 80 round drums and recoil that the handheld MGs have, you get a full 250 rounds and no recoil (improved accuracy too). Putting one of these in a strategic position can mean a lot. You can rotate about 30 degrees quickly using the mouse, and you can rotate a complete 360 degrees using the arrow keys, at a much slower rate. If your cone of fire needs to change, you can hit it.

Blistex

Been here longer than you!

50 XP

20th May 2003

0 Uploads

480 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Fh is about as real as mods get! If this still doesn't satisfy you then I suggest that you buy Unreal Tournament 2004 and download the Red Orchestra Mod.

And if that doesn't wet your whistle you could shell out $30 a month and play WWII online, a game where you have to hit 15 buttons to start a plane and where you usually have to drive for 15 mintues before you get to the front!

SilenT AssassiN

A South African Bohemian

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,951 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Definatly give FH A TRY , oh and if you do end up liking it , and staying here , a little advice never piss someone off here :) other than that were here are nice :)

reeree

50 XP

25th March 2004

0 Uploads

20 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

much thanks Ohioan...downloads in progress now. looks like i might actually have some fun with this mod. caught my eye when you mentioned the "coding innovations" and sense of accomplishment. new models and textures are always secondary to gameplay and design for me and according to your representation, FH seems to have a good blend of both. been thinking alot of my problems with BF1942 are with spawn timers. i just dont think tickets are enough to discourage the playstyle of "blazing guns, kill, die, respawn-so-fast-who-cares-about-medics" cycle i hate so much. not really interested in the Unreal mod called BF1942 hehe. FH looks promising tho. gonna give it a try tonight. thanks again.

reeree

50 XP

25th March 2004

0 Uploads

20 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago
BlistexFh is about as real as mods get! If this still doesn't satisfy you then I suggest that you buy Unreal Tournament 2004 and download the Red Orchestra Mod.

thanks. i hadnt heard the Red Orchestra mod was moving to Ut2004. frankly, after playing UT for 2 years in a competitive clan i got burnt out on chaotic FPS games. never considered buying ut2004 but you got me thinking now hehe.

Ohioan

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

As far as gameplay goes, FH has it's own style. You either love it or hate it. I know I'm biased towards it so I won't go too deeply into it, but you'll notice right away that it isn't like anything you've played before. The weapons in FH are so much deadlier then in bf1942 that you have to be a lot more careful in order to accomplish anything. This means ramboing into a base is usually not a good idea. Spawn times are server settings, but most servers keep it on around 20 seconds, which is a nice round number for that.

Some players, like myself, tend to be more aggressive then others and tend to enjoy destroying enemies more then getting flags, but both actions do help the team. The other day I was flying a Stuka on El Alamein, and I got shot up over the north flag. There were 4 Brits down there, as they had recently capped it. I float down in my parachute, and start spraying 9mm rounds around from my pistol. I get a headshot on one guy, the other guy dies to 5 bullets to the legs, and then I skirt around the edge of the bunker and reload. The other guys are heading towards me and they all have rifles, which aren't that great in close combat. I spray a few more rounds and dart into the bunker, sit by the health cabinet and see if any Tommy kits were there. None.. so I run out and the soldiers who were running in didn't see me run out. I kill one more guy with Pistol bullets to the back and pull a knife. The last guy sees me and shoots, misses, and I walk up and knife his head. I just took out 4 soldiers with a Pilot kit, and I take the flag. That's not something I planned to do and I was definately lucky.

ArminAce

I follow teh Moo!

50 XP

21st December 2002

0 Uploads

678 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

ah ... and dont forgett to pick a parachute up before you are attempting to fly a plane ;)