bmargb

BF 1936 TEAM

50 XP

31st August 2003

0 Uploads

340 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

Yes, maybe this post should go to suggestions, but It's not only suggestions, so for the moment I will post it here (maybe FH team should do a History forum.) I was talking with one of my friends, and he told me to create this post. I advertise that my english is not perfect, so maybe I got some grammar errors.

Let's go, I heard that FH is creating a map about the D-DAY in Omaha Beach. For itself its a great topic, and I'm sure that some of the american gamers have granpas that fight in that beach, so I think that FH should do the map as the real life. Specialy when the DICE team did it as bad as they can.

***** BASIC INFORMATION *****

First of all, omaha beach is in Calvados Coast, it was the largest beach in the operation (10 Km) between Port-en-Bessin on the east and the mouth of the Vire River on the west. The western third of the beach was backed by a 3metre high seawall, and the whole beach was overlooked by cliffs 100 feet high. There were five exits from the sand and shingle beach; the best was a paved road in a ravine leading to the village of Vierville-sur-Mer, two were only dirt paths, and two were dirt roads leading to the villages of Colleville-sur-Mer and Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer.

The beach was fortified will all types of protections, bunkers, trenches, mines, belgian gates... etc...

See this to know all the protections and see the beach

The objectives of the americans were ambitious. First, it was to capture the villages of Vierville, Saint-Laurent, and Colleville; then it was to push through and cut the Bayeux-Isigny road, and then it was to attack south toward Trévières and west toward the Pointe du Hoc.

***** OMAHA IN FH ******

I suggest to FH team to recreate this map in the exit Easy 3.

In this map the amount of frags doesn't matter, its only to recreate the scene and let teamplay. (As it was the germans will be protected and well armed, and the allies should be corspes in seconds...) The "funny part" of this map should be the hell that were live in that beach.

The map have to me small, the cliffs have to be in a line. The LVCP should start at 100 m or more from the beach (I wont but a destructor, because the naval artilery can't shoot cuz they can't see where the allied soldiers were, and the main part of the radios were lost in the sea). I think that FH should do the second wave of LVCP. The respawn team should be very short.

The 95% of the fight have to be in the beach (the 2 hours that the people fight until reach the trenches), and a 5% should be in the trenches. I think that the allies should got 600 tickets and the germans 100. Germans have to had bunkers, sandbags, trenches and lots of artillery (specialy mortars or a cannon that can shoot with parabolic).

Germans should have a great vision camp (they have to see the LVCP when the allies reach the beach). I think that FH have to put al least five or six bunkers, to let the germans stay in it more than 20 seconds. There have to be a lot of machineguns (in sandbags and in bunkers)

Its very important to reproduce the beach as it was (Saving Private Ryan and Medal of Honor, give you the main idea about how should be the beach).

***** POST DATUM ****

Thats all for my part, I invite to all the people to reply this post, and put their opinion.

I special recomend to the mappers that are doing it, and the people interested in it to read D DAY by Stephen E. Ambrose (the same that did the Band of Brothers and assist to Spielberg in the film Saving Private Ryan)

Lobo

All your base are belong to FH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

6,883 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago

Let's go guys. Time to make research and post suggestions to make the best Omaha map. Open fire.

DHC|Bazza

FH Skinner

50 XP

11th September 2003

0 Uploads

171 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

If it's of any help deciding, these top down maps from Close Combat are modelled on original Reconissance photgraphs. The replicate the various sectors of Omaha and some of the exits.

http://www.wargamer.com/Hosted/CloseCombatOmaha/Maps.htm

BE SURE TO CLICK ON THE MAPS FOR PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE AREAS TOPOGRAPHY!!!!

The Jackalx2k

FHmod Developer

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,214 Posts

0 Threads

#4 16 years ago

Good link Bazza...

A mapper can easily make the map according to all those overhead pics. Nice find!

DHC|Bazza

FH Skinner

50 XP

11th September 2003

0 Uploads

171 Posts

0 Threads

#5 16 years ago

Just glad to be of help. I used it to attempt to contruct a copy of the D3 exit, not to make as a playable map, just to see how accurate I could get it.

However I got it woafully wrong but then, I am a skinner and not a mapper for a reason.

rustybit

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

29th September 2003

0 Uploads

108 Posts

0 Threads

#6 16 years ago

The map have to me small, the cliffs have to be in a line. The LVCP should start at 100 m or more from the beach (I wont but a destructor, because the naval artilery can't shoot cuz they can't see where the allied soldiers were, and the main part of the radios were lost in the sea).

ok i think some place i was reading that a destroyers ship capt' ran his ship to close to shore that day and was going to be cort marshall for it. tell the shore partys let be know about the pin pont hit's on the gun inplacement. The ship was given a Medal and gun cerws for the there act's on that day . the ship capt's was just trying to give DFS to the LST, LAV,LVCP,

form out of the fog thay seen the world's massed fleet comeing and the longs day start's

http://search.eb.com/normandy/week2/Omaha_Beach.html Throughout the landing, German gunners poured deadly fire into the ranks of the invading Americans. Bodies lay on the beach or floated in the water. Men sought refuge behind beach obstacles, pondering the deadly sprint across the beach to the seawall, which offered some safety at the base of the cliff. Destroyed craft and vehicles littered the water's edge and beach, and at 0830 hours all landing ceased at Omaha. The troops on the beach were left on their own and realized that the exits were not the way off. Slowly, and in small groups, they scaled the cliffs. Meanwhile, navy destroyers steamed in and, scraping their bottoms in the shallow water, blasted the German fortifications at point-blank range. By 1200 hours German fire was noticeably decreased as the defensive positions were taken from the rear. Then one by one the exits were opened.

onormay226j4.gif

RPGreg2600

I shot down MG42Maniac

50 XP

25th October 2002

0 Uploads

391 Posts

0 Threads

#7 16 years ago

The dice map is horrid! I say scrap it and start from scratch.

rustybit

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

29th September 2003

0 Uploads

108 Posts

0 Threads

#8 16 years ago
B.F. Pierce

FHmod Mapper

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

763 Posts

0 Threads

#9 16 years ago

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/100-11/map07.jpg

That's the map I'm thinking of basing my Omaha Beach off of. It's the breakout between Vierville and St. Laurent, which happens just to the East of WN 70, /between/ D1 and D3. That's the advance until Noon June 6th.

So the map would include obviously the kick ass beach (wide coast wise as you can see and kinda narrowish) and WN 70 as the main focus of the German defenses. Plus German artillery positions back behind on top of the bluffs with nebelwefers and 88's. Keep posting suggestions, this is my current project :)

DHC|Bazza

FH Skinner

50 XP

11th September 2003

0 Uploads

171 Posts

0 Threads

#10 16 years ago

any chance of some screenies? :P