JBOB

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

30th November 2003

0 Uploads

15 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the regular P-47 model shown on the web site under American vehicles looks a little strange. It's probably much better on the game, seeing as most of the website hasn't been updated in so long. Also, I thought that the P-47D had the bubble cockpit and the other P-47's didn't. You may be right, I may be crazy, and no I'm not going to type all of the lyrics to this Billy Joel song, but maybe you could find a picture or something to prove it. Thanks.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago
JBOBCorrect me if I'm wrong, but the regular P-47 model shown on the web site under American vehicles looks a little strange. It's probably much better on the game, seeing as most of the website hasn't been updated in so long. Also, I thought that the P-47D had the bubble cockpit and the other P-47's didn't. You may be right, I may be crazy, and no I'm not going to type all of the lyrics to this Billy Joel song, but maybe you could find a picture or something to prove it. Thanks.

P-47B, C and early D models were what was called razorbacks.

Starting with IIRC the P-47D-25 model al P-47's had the aft fuselage changed to accomadate the bubble canopy off of a Typhoon.

raslin

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

9th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,062 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

FH has two P-47's, Manges and someone elses... One is a D, one isnt...

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago
raslinFH has two P-47's, Manges and someone elses... One is a D, one isnt...

Without a better picture I couldnt tell you if Snerdleys is a P-47D or a P-47N but it looks like it might be a P-47D. The P-47N had a slightly larger wing with squared off wing tips whereas the P-47D has the rounded wingtips.

All P-47D's are the same mechanically. Starting with the P-47D-25 model all P-47D's were bubbletop canopy versions BUT at first the didnt have that little filler piece between the fuselage and front of the vertical tail.

When the fuselage was cut down the P-47 lost some directional stability. The fillet was added to later model bubble canopy P-47D's to increase keel surface which improved directional stability.

Sgt Saunders

Master of space and time

50 XP

29th September 2003

0 Uploads

206 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago
Anlushac11Without a better picture I couldnt tell you if Snerdleys is a P-47D or a P-47N but it looks like it might be a P-47D. The P-47N had a slightly larger wing with squared off wing tips whereas the P-47D has the rounded wingtips. All P-47D's are the same mechanically. Starting with the P-47D-25 model all P-47D's were bubbletop canopy versions BUT at first the didnt have that little filler piece between the fuselage and front of the vertical tail. When the fuselage was cut down the P-47 lost some directional stability. The fillet was added to later model bubble canopy P-47D's to increase keel surface which improved directional stability.

If you notice, this also occured on the P-51D. Early models did not have the fillet while the later did.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

:nodding:

Yup, same reason. And same reason on P-39. Later models had a small fillet added to base of vertical stabilizer to add to directional stability.

mondogenerator

Wolfgaming.net *****istrator

50 XP

24th September 2003

0 Uploads

568 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

The Beaufighter had this as well.

Machony Leeoun

XWW2 Sound Engineer/Coder

50 XP

7th October 2003

0 Uploads

318 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Uh, there were D models with Razerback cockpits. I believe they became bubble canopies in the D27 model

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago
Machony LeeounUh, there were D models with Razerback cockpits. I believe they became bubble canopies in the D27 model

You didnt read the post did you?

"P-47B, C and early D models were what was called razorbacks. Starting with IIRC the P-47D-25 model al P-47's had the aft fuselage changed to accomadate the bubble canopy off of a Typhoon."

Machony Leeoun

XWW2 Sound Engineer/Coder

50 XP

7th October 2003

0 Uploads

318 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

Anlushac11You didnt read the post did you?

"P-47B, C and early D models were what was called razorbacks. Starting with IIRC the P-47D-25 model al P-47's had the aft fuselage changed to accomadate the bubble canopy off of a Typhoon."

I didn't know I wasn't allowed to reinstate a point