emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#11 16 years ago

The first time I used the elevator I went to the right side of elevator, pressed E and appeared in the ahngar, and promptly fell through into the water and had to swim out of the ship and back to the nets. I have had that happen only once though and I cant swear to it but Im pretty sure it hasnt happened since the 0.61 patch.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#12 16 years ago
'[SYN hydraSlav']Now imagine if the planes were spawning behind the lift. You get into one of those planes at the back, start accelerating for take-off, and then a lift with a plane comes up right in front of you. With no means to break, you crash into him, destroying 2 planes and getting a TK. Ohhh, imagine all the complaining if the devs would have put the planes at the back. I don't understand why people see only the problem, but fail to realise the rationalle for why the devs decided to do what they did I do however agree that there shouldn't be any planes spawning on the top at all.

That is why i suggested in another thread moving the ondeck planes to the other end of the carrier deck......

Almost no player uses the full lenght of the flight deck, they all leave sideways at some point, so opposite taking off aircraft will not frontally run into each other, unless piloted by......ehh.....AceS doens't like that word.

Planes at the other end of the flight deck will also obstruct landing aircraft ( pilot kits on carriers are not possible, there are non so you have to land somewhere to get out ) the least of all possible positions.

Markings on the flight deck might help prevent crashes. In game, there is no traffic control.....

Carriers should have a marked place on the flight deck where planes can be repaired automaticly.

( and all airfields should have that too, or a accesible repair hangar, it is still a game and needs to be as functional as a real carrier/airfield )

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#13 16 years ago

LOL be glad thaey didnt model it realistically and put the forward elevator in also. NOW that would be a problem

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#14 16 years ago

would be good with a Ship Vs ship map (not like Midway) were each side gets 3 ships each and some pt boats ..

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#15 16 years ago
Who_Flung_Poo?If you are stupid enough to try and take off while the lift is down you deserve to die a horrible flaming death more than one time.[/QUOTE] You surely did not get the point, did you? [quote=Beast of War]That is why i suggested in another thread moving the ondeck planes to the other end of the carrier deck......

Hmm, i was sure that i posted it... but looks like i just thought that i did :rolleyes:. Anyways, what i was thinking about is to have the carrier decks much wider. This way, there can be a "lane" for the planes from the back to take off in straight line, and the elevator can be placed more on a side. This way, when the pilot comes up, he can first taxi to the "runway" lane and then take-off. Since the pilot who goes through the trouble of bringing the plane up will be more responsible then someone who just jumps in and hits full throttle, they will first make sure that noone is taking off at the moment, and this should avoid the crashes. Thoughts?

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#16 16 years ago

what if the elevator is down then ;)?

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#17 16 years ago
BAMmeuwhat if the elevator is down then ;)?

Its gonna be a short trip :)

Not realistic but might work? put a bump in the flight deck so a aircraft taking off "bounces" over the elevator well. Cant do squat about aircraft coming up elevator but it might let aircraft pass over the opening.

And what about using a radius thingy (technical term) like when a soldier enters zone around flag it turns white except this would disable the elevator if another aircraft is behind the elevator.

Actually the US and Brits did have forward flight deck catapults later in war. How about using the floatplane launch code to launch Navy aircraft from the forward flight deck and make the flight model on Navy planes so they can land slowly and stop quickly. Then it would be possible to recover aircraft on the rear and launch aircraft on the front.

Essex class had a second forward flight deck catapult added in March of 1943

USS Enterprise had two H 2-1 catapults on the forward flight deck that could launch 11,000lbs to 70mph in 73 feet so it would be historical

I picture hopping into a Hellcat or Corsair and taxing to the spot and typing a designated key and you are "loaded" into the catapult. You launch the same way the floatplanes do.

Or move planes back to a revised old flight model so we can do "arrested" carrier landings. Not much room in BF maps but IMHO nothing is more fun than taking off of or landing on a moving carrier. That is one thing BF does very well. Except when the captain of the carrier decides to make a hard turn then it can be frustrating and explosive getting off the deck or landing on a turning ship.

I have done that before where I was on Wake and drove the carrier and watched for take offs and landing s and straightened out so planes could get oof and onto easier.

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#18 16 years ago
BAMmeuwhat if the elevator is down then ;)?

The way i suggested it, the elevator will be to a side of the main runway-lane, so planes taking off from the back don't have to worry about the elevator since they won't be going over it. And the pilot of the plane on the elevator will have to perform simple taxing as if driving a car from a T-junction to the main road

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#19 16 years ago
'[SYN hydraSlav']The way i suggested it, the elevator will be to a side of the main runway-lane, so planes taking off from the back don't have to worry about the elevator since they won't be going over it. And the pilot of the plane on the elevator will have to perform simple taxing as if driving a car from a T-junction to the main road

Actually looking at pics of the CV-6 Enterprise the amidships (middle) elevator is offset to starboard (right side) up by the island so aircraft could be towed past the elevator on the left.

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#20 16 years ago

Personally, I say just ditch the elevator. It leads to some serious plane camping and smacktardism if you're not careful. It's a huge pain in the ass for the allies on that map.

Also, the carrier armor needs WORK (actually, all the ships do vs. PT boats and torpedos). It's really quite easy to sink the big ships now.