Turbo_tiger(DK)

FH dev & JagdPanther lover

50 XP

22nd October 2003

0 Uploads

240 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

After all the constructive feedback in the balance 6.0 thread, I have been looking at some possible changes. 1. Lag problem:

• Replaced all unneeded open buildings with closed equvalents. That will reduce the number of polygons.
  • Reduced the 18 landscape smokes to 4.
  • I will reduce the number of trees around the sawmill.
  • Reduce the amount of barbedwire around the town

2. Complaints about long travel distances, and random skirmishes in small servers:

• Increased the southern out of bounds area, so that it goes a little to the south of the sawmill forrest. This should focus fighting a bit.
  • Moved the northen russian base, from north to south of the river, the new spawn point is now in the small farm to the south of the eastern brigde.

3. General balancing:

• The IS-2 is replaced by 2*T34-85
  • Axis get one more Panther D in main base.
  • Soviet main base is now uncapable.
  • One spawn point added, between the first two rows of suburb houses.

4. Bug fixes:

• Flag bug fixed.
  • 2 Object spawn bugs fixed.

So now its your turn. What am I missing - is it too much, too little or just plain wrong? :feedback:

LIGHTNING [NL]

FH2 Developer

50 XP

30th May 2003

0 Uploads

9,811 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

I've never played it, it always crashes when it loads, same goes for market garden by the way.

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Prokhorovka I've actually rather enjoyed. I don't find it unbalanced either. I've seen it won by germans and by russians. It's all a question of using your equipment wisely.

I'll admit, the IS-2 is pretty damn powerful, but I managed to kill one the other night (2 bazooka shots into the top engine cover). I got lucky, though, definitely. I don't mind the size of the map either and I don't think it needs more "focus" to the fighting, although consider the strategic value of each position. Not simply "Well, there's a supply base here", but rather why is this particular terrain location a place where someone would WANT to build a base? The cities make sense as control points mostly, as do the locations around the bridges. Just something that I think map makers need to keep in mind, rather than haphazardly placing flags and cities and such in random locations.

My one suggestion would be that you replace the Paks with artillery pieces (the 105s), since the Paks cannot be rotated at all. This leaves the Paks in the southeastern flag pretty much useless.

Aside from that, I'd say just optimize the thing. Don't have empty buildings unless you really think people will use them for something. Try to keep the furniture count low, too. Maybe a chair here or a table there, but things like the random wooden cabinets are usually extraneous, as are beds, stoves, and such. I'm willing to accept that the furniture has already been chopped up for firewood. :)

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

It is a beautifull map Turbo_Tiger (DK) but i will adress it as a pilot....

Together with the %^&*% !!!! flight physics in FH 0.6 the fog makes attacking ground targets with the Stuka ausf G and rocket armed Sturmovik near impossible.

You see targets too late to attack them right away, and the inmense turn radius needed to be able to enter a stable and long enough attack run to use aircraft rockets or aircraft anti tank guns plus the fog in wich those targets dissapear while doing an inmense radius turn redicule effective air to ground combat in your map.....

If you have played that map online you will see Stuka's and Sturmoviks trying to dogfight each other......that is because attacking ground targets is too difficult.

If the aircraft would have reasonable flight physics, and the map a tad less fog, it would be a super map for flying and attacking armour.

The map itself is large enough for good air operations, you do not fly out of bounds all the time.

The map on the ground is super, it is open enough for tank combat yet there are trees and objects enough for infantry to defend flag points. I heard the PAKs not rotating 360 degrees will be solved in next versions, so that is no real point.

I like it a lot, but i wish aircraft could be used as they were intended in RL : tank busting/ ground attack.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

I would rather see two more T-34/76's instead of 2 more T-34/85's. You could also add Matilda II's, M3 Grants, and Churchills as all were present at Kursk.

And you could start poking a sharp pointy stick at the modellers and skinners and tell them how bad you need a KV-1 for the Russians.

And while the PAK's cannot rotate I have still managed to get numerous kills with them at the eastern base that I think is supposed to be in the ravines. 88's mihgt be more effective but would they tip the balance of power?

A better flight model is become obvious to the FH team by this point, but many of them say their is no problem so pointless to bitch about it further.

The fog is not so much from the weahter but from the dust, fires, burning tanks, etc. that it turned the area almost dark.

Turbo_tiger(DK)

FH dev & JagdPanther lover

50 XP

22nd October 2003

0 Uploads

240 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago
Anlushac11And you could start poking a sharp pointy stick at the modellers and skinners and tell them how bad you need a KV-1 for the Russians.

The pointed stick is allready in use.:naughty: KV-1, SU-122/152, PzIII & Zis-3 are on the priority list now. But when they will be in game, I dont now yet. We need to get rid of those T34-85's.

schmoppa

Excited

50 XP

5th March 2004

0 Uploads

231 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago
Anlushac11 The fog is not so much from the weahter but from the dust, fires, burning tanks, etc. that it turned the area almost dark.

I don't know what the weather was like at the real battle, but the fog comes from an artificial limitation in the BF engine. Is it possible to play FH with that limit pushed back? From what I understand, mods don't work with punkbuster (or am I wrong on that?), so you could do whatever you wanted - if you have a fast enough machine, you can push back the distance at which fog obscures things and be a successful divebomber!

Heinrich Blotgrasse

XXIX Panzerkorps

50 XP

2nd November 2003

0 Uploads

186 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago
Turbo_tiger(DK)After all the constructive feedback in the balance 6.0 thread, I have been looking at some possible changes. 1. Lag problem: [list] I will reduce the number of trees around the sawmill.

Don't go too crazy on this :). Just taking out the stumps would be sufficient I think along with the other changes you've mentioned. Those trees provide good cover for tanks and it would be a shame to lose that element.

re: bugs I've seen tanks explode for no reason around the sawmill flag. Obviously has something to do with a dodgy object somewhere. I'll see if I can repeat it and let you.

MkH^

FH tester

50 XP

25th September 2003

0 Uploads

2,286 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

Well, as I mentioned on later pages of the 0.6 suggestions thread, I'd like to see some of the less important flags removed to center the battles on few flags in the middle of the map.

Big Lebowski

This is not nam

50 XP

6th December 2003

0 Uploads

1,959 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

Lag: don't now if it would help but remove some of those 88 and nebelwefers at the mainbase's theres just so damn many......