ManiK

Dance the dance of life!

50 XP

10th November 2003

0 Uploads

2,134 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I just noticed today that the IS-2 is using the wrong muzzle brake, the proper one is this IS2StalinTank1.jpg

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

There were three muzzle brakes for the IS series. 2 made it into production.

The first was a T style that exploded during a test firing and it was dropped and the German style 2 part brake was used instead.

Later a more effecient design from TsAKB was used starting in Spring of 1944

Coolguy

神 & FH Godfather

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,799 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Remember that the IS-2 has early, mid & late models

Master Minder

FHdev

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

680 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

is2_36_3.jpg is2_36_2.jpg is2_36_1.jpg

all 3 are correct - @all wannabe researchers, first research, than research more, than even more - and than post.

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Forgive the ignorance, but what's the RL's purpose of the muzzle break? Why would you want to slow the projectile (i assume that's what a break does?)??

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago
'[SYN hydraSlav']Forgive the ignorance, but what's the RL's purpose of the muzzle break? Why would you want to slow the projectile (i assume that's what a break does?)??

A muzzle brake is a device that directs the gases exiting behind the shell into a direction where they help minimize the effects of the inertia of the recoil.

Think of it as when the gun fires the recoil pushes the gun backwards very hard, but the muzzle brake directs the gases almost like a rocket would be used to slow down or brake the reward travel, thus minimizing the amount of recoil felt in the vehicle. Minimizing the amount of felt recoil puts less stress on the vehicle, makes it move less, and makes it a more stable gun platform.

And about the T-bar muzzle brake.

To quote from Russian Battlefield:

"The first example of the A-19 tank gun was ready on November 12, 1943 - the barrel of the D-2 gun was removed from the M-30 gun carriage and installed in the D-5T base after reducing its diameter. The T-shaped muzzle brake design was borrowed from the D-2 gun. The unusual muzzle brake was intended to reduce the main disadvantage of any muzzle brake: when a shot is fired, a large cloud of dust is kicked up from the ground, revealing the position of the tank. The T-shaped muzzle brake was intended to minimise any dust plumes due to firing.

The JS-122 (Object #240) passed the Government tests quickly and successfully. Thereafter, the tank was moved to one of the Moscow military testing grounds where it was demonstrated to K.E.Voroshilov. The tank's 122 mm gun was fired from 1500 metres at a captured German Panther tank.

The round hit the side of the Panther's turret, penetrating it cleanly and tearing the opposite side out at the welded seams, throwing it back a few metres. During these tests the muzzle brake of the A-19 blew up almost killing Voroshilov. After this accident it was decided to change the muzzle brake to a 2-chamber design similar to that used by the Germans.

In January of 1944 the last 40 JS-85s were manufactured at the ChKZ. After this, it produced only the JS-122. These mounted the new 122 mm Tank Cannon D-25T with a wedge-shaped semi-automatic breech, which allowed an increased rate of fire from 1-1.5 shots per minute to 1.5-2 shots per minute. In March 1944, the "German-type" muzzle brake was replaced with a better design from the TsAKB. At the same time, the JS-85 was renamed JS-1, and the JS-122 was renamed JS-2. "

http://www.battlefield.ru/is2_1.html