Blistex

Been here longer than you!

50 XP

21st May 2003

0 Uploads

480 Posts

0 Threads

#1 17 years ago

I had an Idea for an interesting map based on the commando raid at St Nazaire in france. The puropse of the raid was to cripple the Harbour and render it impossible for it to house the Tirpitz (sister of the Bismarck). The Raid consisted of a Destroyer ramming the main Loche gates and rendering them useless and troops disembarkign from it and other support craft to do as much damage as possible.

It would be another excellent opportunity to show that FH is more than just a vehicles map. Intense firefights, in a large harbour, bunkers scattered about, tons of buildings, cranes, and not to mention a crippled destroyer (no working guns) stuck right in the middle.

Here is an ariel view: rsn-overview.jpeg

Here is the actual diagram of the attack: rsn-attackdiag.gif

And the Destroyer itself: rsn-campbeltown1.jpeg

Since RtR already has plenty of Harbour models and such the extra work would be minimal in the modelling dept.

I think that It would be an excellent opportunity to have an allied map to mirror crete in the sence of a rash operation that accomplished its objective at a terrible price.

Leo-The-L337-Llama

Not Funny

50 XP

11th June 2003

0 Uploads

407 Posts

0 Threads

#2 17 years ago

Sounds like a very interesting and unique map, not just the boring old 'jump in a vehicle, capture a point..blah blah'. I like the sound of it, but will the map have working searchlights? Like ones you could get in and aim around? That would be very nifty...

DauntlesDouglas

reviving old forum accounts

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

89 Posts

0 Threads

#3 17 years ago

Hey, sounds good.

Maybe it would be neccessary to personnally ram the gates to get anywhere?

ps. When did this happen?

Blistex

50 XP

21st May 2003

0 Uploads

480 Posts

0 Threads

#4 17 years ago
Leo-The-L337-LlamaSounds like a very interesting and unique map, not just the boring old 'jump in a vehicle, capture a point..blah blah'. I like the sound of it, but will the map have working searchlights? Like ones you could get in and aim around? That would be very nifty...

I don't know about that, but I'm sure that they could be animated so as to add more atmosphere. Plus having flares being shot up into the air at random intervals would be cool.

I just like the Idea of having a map where vehicles don't enter into it, and the mission is won relying on teamwork and intensity.

Gamthen

I rax0r you all!

50 XP

10th May 2003

0 Uploads

586 Posts

0 Threads

#5 17 years ago

Thats a great idea St.nazair would be really fun but the british commandos would spawn on the ex-destroyer "campbeltown" fill it with explosives set it on course and jump off blowing the gates! oh the fun :cool: i don't really think searchlights are really possible. bf1942 doesnt have lighting effects. oh yeah it happened in 1942 28th of febuary i think

Master Minder

FHdev

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

680 Posts

0 Threads

#6 17 years ago

we can't use rtr models.

RPGreg2600

I shot down MG42Maniac

50 XP

25th October 2002

0 Uploads

391 Posts

0 Threads

#7 17 years ago

Yeah, no rtr models. (duh) But yeah, sounds good.

raslin

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

9th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,062 Posts

0 Threads

#8 17 years ago

RtR models = get stabbed.

MG42Maniac

A man of dubious moral fibre

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

3,932 Posts

0 Threads

#9 17 years ago

The problem is that this raid was really effective because the Germans were taken completely by surprise. If you were to make this map every German would be waiting by main lock gate with nades at the ready turning it into British Slaughter, this is why doing a Peral harbour map would suck too.

Blistex

50 XP

21st May 2003

0 Uploads

480 Posts

0 Threads

#10 17 years ago
MG42ManiacThe problem is that this raid was really effective because the Germans were taken completely by surprise. If you were to make this map every German would be waiting by main lock gate with nades at the ready turning it into British Slaughter, this is why doing a Peral harbour map would suck too.

Then I guess D-Day is out of the question since it hinges mostly on surprise.