RandomChurch

Reaching out and touching you

50 XP

23rd September 2003

0 Uploads

145 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

I really enjoy sniping and scouting for my team. Doing recon and spotting for artillery is fun. That's why I play under the name AlamoScout, cause it's what I like to do. I see myself doing a lot more of it now that sniper rifles are fixed and I don't feel like it's going to be a bitch to use them anymore.

One thing I was hoping they might do is take the backpack radio off the scout class. Couldn't they just add one of those big old hand held radios swung over the shoulder or something? The back radio adds to your silouhette when you're lying down which is definitely not a good thing when you're a sniper. You try and lay low but you have this big ass pack on your back which helps everyone see you more.

My other question is, how many of you actually use the artillery when you have a spotter? I like to spot for people, but no one ever knows how to use the artillery that way, or they simply dont use the artillery at all when I'm spotting.

I hope someone writes up an easy manual on how to use artillery or something, so that more people can when I spot. I always manage to get into really good spots and everything where artillery could do terrible amounts of damage but no one utilizes my position and so yeah.

Also, when you call for artillery, do you have to keep your binocs out on that position the entire time when you do, or do you call and then you can bust out your sniper rifle and they see your binocular view from when you called the artillery?

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

yea removing the radio would be cool it looks strange ..

[KsR]SideWinder

Del Monte, I am your father.

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

89 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Yep, it the radio that gives you away 80% of the time, something like the US Sniper in DC, he has a tan rucksack and it looks fine, if not better.:)

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago
BAMmeuyea removing the radio would be cool it looks strange ..

The main problem with artillery is that it's stupidly set up. If the spotter dies, then the camera dissapears. It usually takes 20-30 seconds to START getting a shot on target, some can do it in less. The problem is that the scout needs to call arty, then sit on his ass and not do anything while the artillery tries to hit it. He can't go storm a base or move somewhere else and try to spot another target because that would invalidate his first one.

If the target remains after the spotter's death, I bet a lot more arty would be used.

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

yea bf1942's artilery system sucks cuse you never get the arty strike in time ...

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

When i am not in aircraft, i can often be found in ships ( = artillery) or land based artillery.

Not only using artillery in spotter guided mode is difficult ( most players have no clue how it works ) also spotting requires a certain level of skill !

Just clicking your binoculairs on a distant target in the fog leaves the artillery gunner in riddles too......

Remember : what you see in your binoculairs, the artillery gunner sees in only half that zoom !! Where you see clearly a tank for example, chances are the artillery gunner sees only a base in the fog.

If you want a pinpoint accurate bombardment, you got to close in on your target as much as possible, without getting killed.

I have posted an artillery "guide" in the past with 2 screenshots......the basics aren't really that hard. I am going to see if i still have those screens, else i will make new ones....shortly

Dee-Jaý

Always 1 point ahead of you

50 XP

17th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,694 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

Well, I don´t play scouts alot, but I can see that the backpack might be a bit anying. It might be more suitable for the Officer class. Back to artillery: I can use artillery effectivly if someone spots a target for me. I often ask people to spot, but hardly ever get a reaction. If I know someone is going to get me a target, I don´t mind sitting around in the base waiting for a while. So if before you start spotting, make sure you have someone to spot for. As a Scout, all you have to do to spot a target is take out your binoculars, pick the area you wan´t to spot, and click. Then you can go anywhere you wan´t and use any other item you won´t. The area will be marked for a 130 seconds or untill you die. So you MUST stay alive, or the target will be lost (once you´ve lined up a cannon, you can still continue shooting). As a scout, you can only mark one target at once, but mutiple scouts can mark multiple targets. So, if your in the artillery, you can switch through the marked targets as switching your weapons. Edit: Heres a guide on how to use the Artillery: http://www.planetbattlefield.com/bf1942/strategy/artillery/index.shtml

Mast3rofPuppets VIP Member

08'aIgnorance is not an excuse

50 XP

28th November 2003

0 Uploads

8,198 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

IMO the artillery is the funniest vehicle to use IF I have a spotter, and thats very rare...

RandomChurch

Reaching out and touching you

50 XP

23rd September 2003

0 Uploads

145 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

Well jesus guys, if you're ever on Wolf and you see AlamaScout ask me to spot for you and I will.

I'm a good spotter. I always manage to get into good spots real close up, and I don't leave the spot. All you have to do is ask me if you're in the game and I'll go get myself a sniper kit and make my way into a good spot. This takes some time sometimes, as sometimes I'm spotted before I can get into the real money spots, but jeez. Seriously, I'd love to see more arty action and spotting action so if you guys ever see me on and want a spotter ask me. That's what I want to be primarily doing in .6, spotting and sniping. Everytime I spot I stay in the same spot so I can watch the havoc brought in by the artillery I spotted for. I don't run around and all that crap after spotting. Just lemme know, seriously and you'll have yourself a spotter.

D_Day_Dawson

Missing in action

50 XP

7th August 2003

0 Uploads

750 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago
'[CNIOhioan']The main problem with artillery is that it's stupidly set up. If the spotter dies, then the camera disappears...

Is it fixable?? I've only managed to use spotting/artillery on lan games - on public servers I'm either spotting and noone appears to care, or I hear someone spotting and I'm nowhere near artillery... As you said we could do with the camera staying for 'its' lifetime not the spotter's lifetime. Does secondary-fire work with the field-guns as well for artillery spotting? Again I never seem to be in the right place at the right time :uhm: