nu7.is

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

12th October 2003

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#1 17 years ago

Hi, here's something I've been working on for and decided to share since I love seeing other peoples WIP's, and I doubt I'm the only one.

http://tinyurl.com/qmv3

This is a "generic" northern france map, in other words I did not attempt to recreate a certain battle.. mostly because I'm not a very good WWII battle-historian. ;) (Feel free to suggest a certain battle that I can do some research on and adapt the map to that scenario)

What I wanted to make was a rather compact, close combat infantry based map, with fields and a small fortified village, infantry cover all over.. no huge flat areas where you are a sitting duck... heavily influenced by the microsoft close combat game series, SPR and band of brothers. The layout has zero playtesting hours so balancing it will be a challenge, but I'm trying my best. ;)

If I add armor, it will be in *very* low supply, and I'll probably edit the .con files to slow it down a bit and maybe up the hitpoints somewhat to better simulate the type of combat I'd like to get in this map.

A few things to keep in mind; - I only have a week or so of BF1942 mapping experience, although I'm no newbie when it comes to level designing in general. (I've made quite a few levels for various 3D shooters so far, over a period of ~6 years.) - Even though I only have a week of experience, this is my 3rd map... the first 2 were only made to tackle the learning curve. - The lighting & fog will possibly be tweaked. - The ground texture (purely custom photoshop painted ofcourse) lacks detail, this will be added later. - The shadows have yet to be rendered. - I'll most likely add more vegitation. - I'm making this solely for myself, to learn and develop my mapping skills, but if it turns out that people have some interest in actually playing this, then thats a bonus ofcourse. - What you're looking at only has maybe 7-8 hours of developing time invested in it, so keep that in mind when criting ;)

Anyway, all critique is most welcome (unless it has to do with my english;).. I'm old enough to handle the bad ones as well, so be honest. ;) I'll probably add some more screenies when I start doing the little details and finishing touches.

P.s. Who handles selecting new maps for the upcoming versions of FH?

DauntlesDouglas

reviving old forum accounts

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

89 Posts

0 Threads

#2 17 years ago

Wow, that looks excellent! Might I suggest adding an mg to those sandbags maybe just as a kit? Other than that, looks very good.

Master Minder

FHdev

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

680 Posts

0 Threads

#3 17 years ago

looks good, but why are you useing so much map space if 70% of it is deathzone?

nu7.is

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

12th October 2003

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#4 17 years ago
Master Minderlooks good, but why are you useing so much map space if 70% of it is deathzone?

It's a 4x4 map, thought it was the best bet to avoid noticeable map mirroring, and in-case the map turned out to be too small and I'd need to expand it.

And regarding adding MG's to those sandbags... no worries, that's the plan.

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#5 17 years ago

Doesn't look that bad at all, there are some object layouts I do not like though.

RPGreg2600

I shot down MG42Maniac

50 XP

25th October 2002

0 Uploads

391 Posts

0 Threads

#6 17 years ago

I hate most maps where they don't let you go places, It makes it so you can't flank people.