Rafterman

Rule#1: Bring a Bigger Gun!

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

594 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Was watching the Hell's Battlefield-Kursk on the History Channel last night. Good show, and it was cool to hear them mention a number of the battles that we fight in FH.

I always knew that the Soviets used a LOT of artillery, but during the show it really focused on how it was one of the Soviets primary weapons to soften up entrenched Germans and charging panzers. Then the T34s and infantry would roll in to mop up.

It got me thinking as to how the massiveness of these artillery barrages could be implemented in FH. Would it be workable to have one person control a battery of guns (4-5) -- kind of like how you can control multiple guns on the ships. This would allow for multiple shells to rain down on a target area and simulate the effects of a barrage. If you had a good spotter, you could really shut down a German offensive or pound a spawn point.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Good point, but i don't know how well that relates to gameplay.

Imagine map start the germans spawning and immidiatly get killed by an artillery barrage. I can already see the complaintment posts that will follow now :p

Maybe if they make a good assault/defence type map for it, where germans are adequately entrenched and protected against such barrage unless they decide to go out and charge during the duration of the barrage. Or lucky hits that fall right in a trench ofcourse. You should severely limit the number of shots of this artillery battery too......so it will be used to shock and disrupt before a russian attack, not as a whole round lasting heavy weapon.

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

You have to remember in the game it's less of everything (compared to real life) so it have to be proportional to the amount of players, so maybe I think you should just control one.

Rafterman

Rule#1: Bring a Bigger Gun!

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

594 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Good points. It would be very easy to make it the ubernoob cannon like the Scud in DC. It wouldn't take long for some guy to figure out how to aim it to nail the base every time.

I like the idea of having it on the right maps though. Maps where the guns couldn't reach the German base, but could hit various approach points that they have to take to attack. For it to be effective, you'd really have to have a good spotter.

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Hartmann made a short movie a long time ago of him shotting around five anti tank emplacements on a what appeared to be Monte Cassino, so it is possible.

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago
D-fenceYou have to remember in the game it's less of everything (compared to real life) so it have to be proportional to the amount of players, so maybe I think you should just control one.

Yeah, the Katyusha is already a pretty much 1-man-spawn-rape-weapon. I think giving them some GOOD artillery and a few units of it would be a good idea.

Monjorob

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

26 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago
'[CNIOhioan']Yeah, the Katyusha is already a pretty much 1-man-spawn-rape-weapon. I think giving them some GOOD artillery and a few units of it would be a good idea.

what about an underground spawn?, so there isn't mass rapeage. or if underground is impossible, then at least in tranches where men can hide from splash damage.

i love this idea, but it has to be on the right map. otherwise, like some of you said, it would be a spawn killing machine

shrinerr

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

1,258 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

What about a long reload time for the whole battery?

Archangel85

Customtitles rock!

50 XP

30th June 2003

0 Uploads

795 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

unrealistic, artillery is reloaded as fast as tank cannons, usually.