Artie

CCCP

50 XP

27th September 2003

0 Uploads

545 Posts

0 Threads

#41 17 years ago
simo_03its actually just a rumour that the Germans sent their best sniper in to kill Zaitsev, but it is a popular and widely belived one.

I've read a book with an actual account of it. It's called "Barbarossa" and was written in the 1960s by a British historian named Alan Clark. The book quotes the diaries of the people involved, so I somehow doubt it's not true.

The German sniper may not have been their "best" sniper, but he was a the director of a major sniper school in Berlin.

[1.SS.Pz]LSSAH

You suck at the Internet.

50 XP

21st November 2003

0 Uploads

536 Posts

0 Threads

#42 17 years ago

ArtieI've read a book with an actual account of it. It's called "Barbarossa" and was written in the 1960s by a British historian named Alan Clark. The book quotes the diaries of the people involved, so I somehow doubt it's not true.

The German sniper may not have been their "best" sniper, but he was a the director of a major sniper school in Berlin.

If the diaries were those of Russian troops, I would be wary of their authenticity. I'd even go out on a limb and damn near guarantee they were fabricated by the state.

Artie

CCCP

50 XP

27th September 2003

0 Uploads

545 Posts

0 Threads

#43 17 years ago

I won't even respond to something that ignorant.

Blistex

Been here longer than you!

50 XP

20th May 2003

0 Uploads

480 Posts

0 Threads

#44 17 years ago
ArtieI won't even respond to something that ignorant.

You're a moron!

There is no evidence one either side at all there there was a sniper duel between Zaitsev and some "ace germsn sniper". Zaitsev never, ever mentioned that he had ever had a sniper duel. The story about him hiding and raising a helmet or glove to get shot and lure the other sniper out was a total fabrication by someone other than the Zaitsev himself or the Soviets. It never happened in any regard!

p.s. The soviets were notorious for creating atrocities or heroes for public consumption to improve soldier and worker morale.

[1.SS.Pz]LSSAH

You suck at the Internet.

50 XP

21st November 2003

0 Uploads

536 Posts

0 Threads

#45 17 years ago

BlistexYou're a moron!

There is no evidence one either side at all there there was a sniper duel between Zaitsev and some "ace germsn sniper". Zaitsev never, ever mentioned that he had ever had a sniper duel. The story about him hiding and raising a helmet or glove to get shot and lure the other sniper out was a total fabrication by someone other than the Zaitsev himself or the Soviets. It never happened in any regard!

p.s. The soviets were notorious for creating atrocities or heroes for public consumption to improve soldier and worker morale.

What he said.

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#46 17 years ago

BlistexYou're a moron!

yea its just propaganda ...

Kingrudolf

Fan FH Mapper

50 XP

8th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,345 Posts

0 Threads

#47 17 years ago

If you got CoD, you can take some screens from their map of the statue. If you don't, I can make some screens myself, or someone else around here maybe.