Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#61 15 years ago

Just FYI, I turned my textures up to 100% and lowered my sound to 22kHz (which REALLY helped performance actually and didn't decrease sound quality that much) and the reticles do improve in terms of thickness. This means that they are a bit more reliable in terms of judging center points and where a shell will hit.

The random ^^^ and == -- _ _ marks still don't mean anything as far as I can tell, though, and don't help for aiming. So, in essence, once you figure out where the center mark is (IE: where the crosshairs WOULD be), just use that the way you would normally with crosshairs.

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#62 15 years ago

[quote]Also, I noticed that there's some weird aiming inconsistencies where, sometimes you are aiming in one particular area, but the shell will blow up WAY below that. Maybe we need some kind of tutorial for the tank sights. I may have to work on that. [quote]

its a wonderful thing called: shell drop. And it does it over a distance. Tank shells dont fly in a compleatly straight line.

I prefer americantnk sights the most because they heave useful ranging lines.

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#63 15 years ago

I haven't played enough with the American tanks to get a sense of their range lines, unless you mean the ones with what's basically an actual crosshair with numbered range indicators to the side of the crosshairs. I think, though, that those are in the British and Japanese tanks, though. The American ones on Battle of the Bulge look more like, if memory serves, the JS-2 or whatever that captured russian tank that the Germans get is.

And yes, I'm well aware of shell drop. That's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about what appears to be inconsistent shell drop, actually, or perhaps simply strange shell drop. IE: you aim directly in front of you, the shell drops about 100m in front of the tank. But if you aim, say, 2mm higher (in terms of actual crosshair movement, not game-relative mm), the shell goes flying. It's as if the drop-off point is hard coded and, at that point, the shell basically goes nowhere. I noticed this mostly on Tobruk when driving a Stuart, where if I moved the position of the gun only SLIGHTLY in one direction, my shells would go flying, but if I didn't, they'd keep blowing up on the sandbag walls.

It's hard to describe and I'd probably have to play it again and actually try to recreate the effect.

LIGHTNING [NL]

FH2 Developer

50 XP

30th May 2003

0 Uploads

9,811 Posts

0 Threads

#64 15 years ago

[QUOTE=McGibs]

Also, I noticed that there's some weird aiming inconsistencies where, sometimes you are aiming in one particular area, but the shell will blow up WAY below that. Maybe we need some kind of tutorial for the tank sights. I may have to work on that. [quote]

its a wonderful thing called: shell drop. And it does it over a distance. Tank shells dont fly in a compleatly straight line.

I prefer americantnk sights the most because they heave useful ranging lines.

Actually it's called gravity! AH damn you Newton and your f = m * g (in which g is the gravitation constante of 9.81 m/s/s)