[TC|N00bey

GF makes me horny

50 XP

25th May 2003

0 Uploads

67 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

As christmas holidays draws closer and BG are nearing a new release it's time for some realistic thinking.

I know most of you here are devoted FH fans, just like me, but we do need to open our eyes a bit. FH is a great game for sure, but with only a few populated servers to choose from and with questionable gameplay, there must be something that it havent got.

Personally I love FH becasue of it's many "realistic" vehicles and weapons, aswell as that special "feeling" you get while playing a game with an atmosphere. It's now over a month ago since anyone else in my clan last played a bit of FH. They are all tired of the unbalanced maps, same old vehicles and other content-related issues. I havent played it for weeks. Most of you detest BG and DC, but I sure believe their new releases will be, and are, far more popular than FH is by now. Silent Heroes is another aspiring mod with great new features, aswell as a few bad ones and lacking content.

Most people here consider the FH team to be made with by a handful of Gods, constantly requesting changes, additions, releases etc from them, all based on personal desires of what a game should be like. Well, most sane people will sooner or later understand that a game can't be anything without a good fanbase. The people on this forum aren't a good fanbase, we're a heap of fanatics, way too few to populate any servers or give the FH team any recognition.

What do I want? Well, first off I wish that the FH team would understand this, that they simply can't aspire to make up for the hype created. Their first release had loads of eager fans waiting, and most got dissapointed or grew tired. Now, that was a frist release that couldn't be "all that", of course. With their second release nearing, almost half a year later, most people again believe in the hype. If my predictions are correct, the final phase of it will be rushed to meet the fans demands and will yet again offer half-finished gameplay and vehicles. Most other mods, especially the succesfull ones tries to tone down the hype by releasing small content updates. A few balance issues and a tank here, some remade graphics there..a new map every now and then, something reworked etc etc.

This was the case with the ever so popular mod Counter-Strike, aswell as Desert Combat. Both of these started off quite unnotably. but evolved into massive games over time, constantly rewarding fans, gaining new ones and improving. They both offer gameplay for both the devoted fans with skills up to their necks, and some candy for the newcomers. This is another factor FH needs to figure out: "The Candy Factor". Fh needs something that everyone can apprecate, but only the skilled can master. Right now it's the reworked Tiger and the half-done FW-190. None of them offers anything for the opposing team. I'm well aware that this will be addressed in 0.6..when it eventually is released.

Yet again, beware of the hype! There won't be any massive tank battles with IS-2's and Tiger II's going on all over the place once 0.6 is released! A few half-done Poles and French lads here and there sounds more like it, offering the same kind of picturesque battles as Crete, a map for only the most devoted fans.

So for you, fan or DEV member who has struggled through this post with all it's abuse of the english language, I say to you: Please don't rush the next release, please don't make any more suggestions, please don't expect it to live up to the hype, and most important of all, don't release 0.7 half a year after 0.6. Make sure 0.6 is good before you release it, but don't do this again in the future, plan!

MeanMrMustard

Such a mean old man

50 XP

15th September 2003

0 Uploads

178 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Although I can't remember exactly, FH 0.5 was released in mid-late september, which is just over 3 months, which is nowhere near half a year.

I think they should hold out for the '1 big update' thing, it will help in the long run. If they released 0.6 in a long stream of small updates, they would arguably lose the 'wow' factor, whereas by releasing everything in one go, people are really going to be blown away. Besides as we have all seen and read, 0.6 isnt just going to be new skins and models, its more like a whole new mod, which is why there wont be an 'incremental' patch when its released. Harry.

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Without access to private forums a lot of the things you addressed we cannot know for sure.

D_Day_Dawson

Missing in action

50 XP

7th August 2003

0 Uploads

750 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Yeah, hopefully it'll be a big change when we get 0.6, then incremental patches for a while after that as all other mods do. Besides the info we've been supplied with so far, even just getting the new maps and sounds are a good thing even without all the new models, etc that we _know_ have been done (doesn't include what we haven't been told about).

TommyGunDaliani

Cesare

50 XP

26th June 2003

0 Uploads

1,717 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

I have nothing to say, your name says it all for me.

SimonS.

[11PzG] SimonS

50 XP

10th August 2003

0 Uploads

568 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

I have a feeling that 0.6 is going to be BIG

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

Dear Noob,

The reason FH cant release just a update is that the majority of the code in 0.6 has been changed or tweeked. Alot of the problems you mentioned will be addressed corrected in 0.6

Since no one wants to d/l the game then 4 or 5 add ons and patches FH0.6 will be 1 big install that will replace the previous 0.5 version so you wont have to spend the day hunting down all the add ons. That was another complaint.

While I have the utmost respect for Battlegroup 42 and its mod its not my favorite. I think BG42 looks fine, but I am not happy with the stock weapons and flight models. 0.95 says they will change that. I guess we will see. To me BG42 is what FH would be like if they decided to release a arcade mode and not try to model real weapon and vehicle performance.

0.6 will be out soon. Wait and try it then if you have a legitimate gripe come here and complain.

And the FH team are not Gods, they are minor deities at best (forgive me masters, I mean not what I say )

[TC|N00bey

GF makes me horny

50 XP

25th May 2003

0 Uploads

67 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Well the thing is, Mustard, even if your tone is very optimistic, it only represents what we here will think once it's released.

The "wow" factor you speak of is the enemy in the long run, in my opinion, as people grow tired when nothing new happens, and with the ever-increasing hype, FH will always be losing fanbase.

I do agree 0.6, at this stage, has to be a complete release. This is where the time aspect comes in; it will probably take a few more months for it to get there. Once it's out, it may be a darn fine game, but chances are it will be forgotten after a while, just like it is right now. Who knows of much of it that's actually something the masses want.

That's all I wanted to say, I'm off to the countryside in a few hours and hopefully BG will have some fine new sights for the Jagdpanzer when I get back!

@Ans11 I don't think you got my point really. What I'm saying isn't that they should rush 0.6, it's quite the opposite. What I am saying is that in the future, they should release updates instead. Sure, it takes some time getting all the add-ons if the mod people haven't made larger ones for newcomers, but no successfull mod has ever made a living releasing huge releases with a long time span between them.

If they have updated the code, well release that as one version, Poles and French in another etc, all to get more and more fans.

I'm with you about BG, it's fun for a laugh. They work hard but I dont think they've got the right ideas. I remember when they had released a new version with the IS-2..and I jumped in it just to find there weren't any slots for gunners! However, they do imrpove over the months. The new sights are one of those things. @

Merry X-mas everyone!! Don't bite your nails in anticipation for 0.6!

MkH^

FH tester

50 XP

25th September 2003

0 Uploads

2,286 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

Completely agree with you, N00bey. The major bugs and gameplay issues should be fixed with smaller patches, including some little additions like vehicles and maps, instead of making a big fucking patch that takes like a half a year to make.. In this case I quess it was acceptable, since there were quite a lot issues with the first release to be patched in smaller patches.. Would have turned into same download hell as the 0.5 release.

ManiK

Dance the dance of life!

50 XP

10th November 2003

0 Uploads

2,134 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

well put n00bey