sempai(be)

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

281 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Something thats been bothering me since the initial release and after the patch is the slowdown on many servers.

It's not only lag , I mean if your ping is 45 this can hardly be described as lag ?

I had instances were I had more slowdown on a German server with a 40 to 60 ping than on Japanese servers pinging + 200.

Filter settings in ASE : CPU 2000+ , tried both Win and Linux servers 20 to 64 players , there seems to be no correlation.

Meaning I'm as easy getting slowdown on a 20 player server as on a 64 player server.

Are you guys swinging around more polygons then in the original BF ?

DC , EOD , and BF are running OK on all servers (although I haven't played them since the FH release , lol)

Is the FH team looking into this ? I've seen many players on the servers complaining about this issue and I think it's bound to get people turned awy from FH.

I know we had the same issue when BF was originally released.

[WOLF] Limey

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

22 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Most of the slow down is client side. The sounds / effects are demanding when you have > 44 players. We have some powerful servers on great lines that run vanilla BF at 64 players with zero slowdown. But had to knock back to 44 players for FH.

B.F. Pierce

FHmod Mapper

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

763 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Of course we're swinging around more poly's than BF, every mod does ;)

I've heard similar complaints while playing /both/ EoD and DC about lag, it really shouldn't be a surprise, hell DC /still/ lags from unoptimizations. We're working on some things to fix it as much as is possible don't worry ;)

raslin

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

9th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,062 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

lol, FH throwing around polys? Try thinking about DC 3,000 poly hummers...

Kingrudolf

Fan FH Mapper

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,345 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

I have seen this happening many times with mods.

They go "lag-crazy". The best example is Desert Combat. Although I must admit that the FH mod is the most lag-crazy of them all. Probably because it's all close combat. That way you "stuff up" the graphics.

I suggest lowering your sounds settings and joining servers with 24 at max. Hell, I got 1900 kbps cable but I still experience great lag. And almost always it ain't your comp. Don't forget to make good use of the "ping" filter either. ;)

sempai(be)

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

281 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

It has nothing to do with "lag".

Like I said it's possible to have a smoother game on a Japanese server pinging 250 + than on some European pinging 45.

Lowering soundsettings does not help this.

Guess it's some sloppy netcode.

bmargb

BF 1936 TEAM

50 XP

31st August 2003

0 Uploads

340 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

I got an ADSL 256ks from Telefonica (I'm from spain), that is the worst in europe, and I get a ping average of 150, but I only have lag in servers with more than 50 players. I got all the sound and graphic settings at maximum.

My PC is a :

- Pentium 4, 2800 Mhz - 518 ddr - Geforce 4 440 mx, 128 ddr

NOTE: 2 or 3 times I got lag in Adak (in the allies airfield).

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

I still get lag, sometimes unbearable lag...(so laggy you cannot go prone or switch your weapon...)

the Darkness VIP Member

Advanced Member

50 XP

20th October 2002

0 Uploads

1,333 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

The only lag I get now, in FH, is around the capsized carrier. And that's only when all the ships show up around her. That was on a 50 person server with a ping of 50.

B.F. Pierce

FHmod Mapper

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

763 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

Yeah that's the biggest problem in Atlantic, that capsized carrier and the fact that the map is designed around getting all the ships to attack that single CP. I'm going to change that to see how it works with the next patch.