[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#31 15 years ago
2ltbenIn case you haven't noticed, DICE has been adding all the BFV and expansion features into BF42 as well, so modders can use them. Sooner or later they'll be pretty much equal. If not, then by all means choose the better engine. Now really isn't the time though.

I am really sorry, but what the hell are you talking about? :uhm: I haven't seen the feature where the number of people in the flag radius matters for how long it takes to turn it. I haven't seen the feature where zooming in makes you move slower, and there is a delay between going prone to standing. I haven't seen the feature where you can shoot from moving vehicles as a passenger I haven't seen any dense vegetation that you can actually hide in. I haven't seen these and many other features in BF42 or it's expansions. And if a 2 years newer engine isn't better then a 2 year outdated engine, then what is?

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#32 15 years ago

It looks like the FH devs have recognised the BFV engine more usefull then the old bf1942 one, and they are not talking about ingame features or graphics but about new coding possebilities here.

Their only doubt seems the extra work in porting FH over to another platform, and maybe then have 2 versions wich would be too much work too support and develop both. They also cannot use all new possebilities right away as that requires time to code. They will decide what to do after FH 0.62

This is what 2 of the FH devs said on the german site :

ArminAcewie gesagt

es kommt überhaupt nicht darauf an wie BF V aussieht .... uns interresiert "nur" die engine und die ist nun mal leistungsfähiger ...also können wir dadurch auch FH verbessen[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Major Hartmann]Also, für euch mal der neuste Stand zu FH und BFV:

Das größte Hinderniss ist ausgeräumt, und vom Aufwand her würde sich ein wechsel rechtfertigen, für die neuen möglichkeiten die es giebt. (Viele davon sind für die Spieler nicht sichtbar, aber als Coder kann man da schon einige feine Sachen machen )

ABER: Wir werden wahrscheinlich nur eine Basis unterstützen können. FH für BF1942 und BFV gleichzeitig zu machen würde uns deutlich mehr Aufwand kosten.

Im Moment ist sich das Dev team noch nicht 100% einig wo wir weitermachen, zuerst machen wir 0.62 für Bf1942 fertig, dann sehen wir weiter.

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#33 15 years ago

Translate plz?

Huffardo

Arrrr!

48,770 XP

29th November 2003

0 Uploads

4,632 Posts

0 Threads

#34 15 years ago

ArminAce: as said, the graphics of bfv is not a reason to change to BFV. The engine is what interests us, and it's better. That would make it possible to make FH better too. Major Hartman: The newest about FH and BFV. The biggest obstacle is gone *(Maybe using bf stuff in bfv?)*, and the new possibilities would justify a change to bfv, (a lot of them can't be realised by the ordinary player, but they would be nice for a coder). BUT we could probably only support one basis. It would take too much work to develop FH both to bf1942 and BFV. At the moment the dev team is not 100% united on their future, we will first complete 0.62 and then think more about it. This is not exact, both my English and Deutsch could be better, and I have shortened it a bit. It seems like those two devs would like to move to BFV, but that's not of course sure.

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#35 15 years ago

I for one want to see a change. When I play BF1942 now I cringe at the sharp angles on the hills and the lack of foliage. When I play FH, I find that my PC can't handle it, whereas in BF:V performs better.

EoD is leet, and porting it over to BF:V will make it leeter. FH is leet, and porting it over to BF:V can only make it leeter.

BlitzPig_Machine

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

182 Posts

0 Threads

#36 15 years ago

Yeah...the screenies of EoD look good on BF:V. They have a pretty easy job though...well...relatively. They move their vehicles and balance some stuff out and PRESTO BF:V gets a fantastic mod. Of course they'll have to get their maps to work with the new ground cover and such.

I think FH would look fantastic in the BF:V engine.

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#37 15 years ago

Great news

Master Minder

FHdev

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

680 Posts

0 Threads

#38 15 years ago

erm, i see like 10 threads about "fh should move to bfv" here ...

i hope i say this the last time but i know i don't: the TEAM decides what will/should be done - not the public.

Rad-FH

Pro-Filer thinks I'm cool!!

50 XP

12th November 2003

0 Uploads

425 Posts

0 Threads

#39 15 years ago

Well, I have to add my 2¢ to this....

First off, good luck to EoD in their endevours. The sad fact right now is the tools do not work. Take a look at the dialog between our dev and Rexman, Delise, etc on the tools forum and you might get a better understanding as to why we arn't jumping on the bandwagon. I'm on vacation right now becasue max on all of my machines is so hosed right now from beta testing Rexmans newest creations. I can't even save a simple file without it corrupting now.

I've been so excited about the possibilities of the refined refractor engine since it was vaporware that I had some models normal mapped before we were presented with tools. So far the results have been very disappointing. I feel normal mapping it great for games like UT2004 and other games of that genre, but for Flat paint WWII models, it actaully makes them look worse. Normal mapping serves a dual purpose.. it affects bumpmapping so shadows affect high areas, and it also reflects specular lighting. The specular lighting part of normal mapping has no place in a dirty flat-paint word of war.

I came up with a way to bake bump maps onto skins in the BF1942 that I think the results are far superior to BFV's normal mapping. see: http://www.autoadart.com/fh/bumpmap.htm I'm getting near the same results, altho the light mapping does not reflect off the high spots... One of the upsides to this is that the engine is not calling on a 2nd 1024x1024 map for speculer... hense better FPS.

Personally I'm set on sticking with the BF1942 refractor engine. I think it still has much more overhead than we have discovered yet. I know a lot of inoventions that have come out in BFV can be obtained with the old engine. This new engine it not much differnt than the old engine, just a few thing added like the dynamic vegitation. Not sure if this would benefit anything other than our pacific maps.

Again, I'm only speaking on my own behalf.. I've been tweeking much with BFV, and not too excited about it anymore.

Prime Evil

ex-pack expert

50 XP

18th November 2003

0 Uploads

132 Posts

0 Threads

#40 15 years ago

thank u Rad-FH for ur "official" answer, i was wondering bout all these threads bout bf:v and finding no answer from fh-team. after reading ur post im glad i didnt buy bfv :D maybe fh changes when bf 1943 or somethin else is out ;)