The flag capper and the 1337 killer : who is the most usefull for his side ? -1 reply

Please wait...

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#41 16 years ago

Actually, I find going for the ticket bleed on all but the three flag maps is a REALLY bad idea. It usually leaves you far overextended in terms of the territory you're trying to hold, which just means that the enemy will eventually take the flags back and all your work will have been for nothing. I find it far more effective to take and then hold just enough flags to keep ticket bleed from hurting you. If you defend, trust me, they'll come to you. They're just as impatient as you are, if not moreso. They can't STAND sitting aroudn waiting. So rest assured, long as you pick a spot that's strategically valuable or hotly contested, you'll see action.

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#42 16 years ago

50% 1337 killer and 50% flag caper is only way to go you cap falgs and are good at killing ..

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#43 16 years ago
Solo4114Actually, I find going for the ticket bleed on all but the three flag maps is a REALLY bad idea. It usually leaves you far overextended in terms of the territory you're trying to hold, which just means that the enemy will eventually take the flags back and all your work will have been for nothing. I find it far more effective to take and then hold just enough flags to keep ticket bleed from hurting you. If you defend, trust me, they'll come to you. They're just as impatient as you are, if not moreso. They can't STAND sitting aroudn waiting. So rest assured, long as you pick a spot that's strategically valuable or hotly contested, you'll see action.

I can agree with that.

The whole thread was started to show with numbers flag capping isn't all there is. You also need artillery gunners, sniper/spotters, bomber gunners. pilots, tankdrivers, tank gunners. Most vehicles are so easily killed because they have no support. Most flag capping infantry dies countless deaths because they have no suppport.

That bombers and tanks are killed within 3 minutes is not "normal" It has become normal because they are wasted by wrong (ineffective) use.

Most support is not able to cap flags, if they do their job really well :

Ofcourse tanks can capture flags, but they get so near to structures like barracks, bunkers and sandbags where infantry is certain to hide out, that these tanks are ususally destroyed by expacks or AT weapons there. A carefull tank commander holds his distance from flags or area's with a lot of objects, and let infantry take it while covering them.

Snipers need to infiltrate near enemy positions and snipe or spot there, they are wasting their kit going after flags. With the crosshairless sniperrifle they are not really equiped to deal with close by enemies or armour.

Tanks and bombers without gunners are far easier to knock out. Without artillery gunners much more infantry is going to die storming defended positions.

Fighters are meant to prevent their own side being strafed and bombed by killing the other side airforce. When they have spare time, then they can help out the troops on the ground by close support. Bombers are meant to prevent enemy vehicles reaching the front, or knock defenders out of their positions, as flying artillery.

If a fighter pilot bails out to cap a flag, he enables the enemy to take control of the air. Next all friendly forces can be strafed and bombed by the enemy airforce, and the airfield will probably be strafed too, so no aircraft get the chance to take off ever again.

Therefore do not expect fighterpilots to bail out, unless their last flag is lost. The last thing you need holding on to a last flag is enemy bombers or artillery flattening the flag area.

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#44 16 years ago

That said, when your team is down to its last man and he's some jackass who won't bail out, and there are no more flags...you've got a problem.

And also, I'd like to point out that while all team roles are valuable, players should not (outside of clan play where you have predetermined roles) assume that they are THE person for a particular role. Do what's needed for your team, not just what you want. Towards this end, DO NOT PLANE CAMP. If the planes are gone, grab a vehicle and go help your buddies on the ground. It doesn't matter that the other pilots suck and you're better than they are at flying. Be a team player. Help your team by doing more than just standing around on the airfield.

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#45 16 years ago

You need flag cappers who're backed up with 1337 killers. Why?

You take a flag; that allows you to redistribute troops to that point in the next spawn wave, gives you access tp the resources and a tactical advantage. In effect you're pushing your enemy back and forcing them to react to you.

But once you have the flag, you need people to spawn there in order to repel any counter-attack, which is where the 1337 killers come in. In a match environment, a 1337 killer can 'set up shop' for an effective defense while the flag capper moves off to take the next flag. Individual kills/points don't matter, as its only ticket bleed and deaths that effect the enemy tickets.

Beast of WarIf a fighter pilot bails out to cap a flag, he enables the enemy to take control of the air. Next all friendly forces can be strafed and bombed by the enemy airforce, and the airfield will probably be strafed too, so no aircraft get the chance to take off ever again.

We have a standing order in my clan; unless you are expressly ordered to do so, there's no 'plane taxis' on the battlefield. But sometimes it IS a tactical advantage to take a flag quickly even if you don't control the air - flak and coax guns concentrated onto a single target can be suprisingly effective :D

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#46 16 years ago

Solo4114That said, when your team is down to its last man and he's some jackass who won't bail out, and there are no more flags...you've got a problem.

And also, I'd like to point out that while all team roles are valuable, players should not (outside of clan play where you have predetermined roles) assume that they are THE person for a particular role. Do what's needed for your team, not just what you want. Towards this end, DO NOT PLANE CAMP. If the planes are gone, grab a vehicle and go help your buddies on the ground. It doesn't matter that the other pilots suck and you're better than they are at flying. Be a team player. Help your team by doing more than just standing around on the airfield.

Well, it actually DOES matter nOOb pilots get the planes. That means your side is going to be bombed and strafed without restrictions. It means your side is going to lose most of it's tanks, a lot of vehicles, a lot of infantry and possibly the enemy bombers knock defenders out of flag points wich then are lost. Giving up airpower means doom if the other side does have good pilots.

But when there are 10 guys running around at the airfield doing nothing, that is not good neither. If aircraft are already in use better go do something more usefull. Those at Wolfservers could have seen me fighting in tanks and on foot, althouh i really hate that.

( I do like the magnum 44....ehhh....no 2 pistol :lol: )

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#47 16 years ago

Yeah, but standing around on the airfield in the meantime isn't helping either. Is it better if a skilled pilot gets a plane? Absolutely! The problem shows up when EVERYONE thinks they're a skilled pilot and that no one else is. This is one of the reasons why we have the vehicle camping rule (includes planes and other vehicles). Hanging around doing nothing waiting for vehicles to spawn helps no one on the team. Also unfortunately, quite often there are flags which have recently been captured that desperately need defending so spawning at the main base isn't helping anyone either.

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#48 16 years ago

This is probably why Airfields need more and closer flak guns placed around them. At least then the plane-campers can do something useful to eliminate any planes seeking to take out the airfield.

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#49 16 years ago

apocalypse_kid Personally I am a elite Tank Commander, there's many an Apache or A10 pilot in DC who has come unstuck from my main cannon, and maps like El Alemain, Gazala etc are made for capping flags with armour. Only when the player numbers are low does air power become dominant, other times it is a combination of ground and air that wins the game in all mods, FH, DC and etc.

Have fun guys

:cya: :cya: :cya:

:smokin:

Same here. I used to be all about the air, until I learned of the power of the ground. At least in DC. Just drive underneath a hellicopter and turn around, it will plummet to earth and try to recover, then you just shoot it with the cannon. In FH, most tanks are ridiculously weak and slow, and there's no advantage to using a PanzerIV as opposed to a jeep full of Panzerfaust troops.

Lemon Fresh

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

29th September 2003

0 Uploads

29 Posts

0 Threads

#50 16 years ago

I personally hate plane-campers and anyone who only flies and never tries to be a ground troop. If all you're gonna do is fly, why not go out and get a flying game? If you are a very good pilot, why not try to improve your ground skills? play the game and everything it has to offer, not just flying.