Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

While viewing a program on discovery channel on the war in the pacific, about kamikaze attacks the subject suddenly went a few minutes about Fletcher class destroyers. That is ofcourse a familiar name, but to my astonishment they mentioned one of it's main weapons were ten 21 inch torpedo's !!!

Now the FH model has got torpedo's at all! Since Born2lift complained about tidy details all but the most freaked fanatics would notice in a Panther model, this is a far worse yet no one ever mentioned it. Must be not many ship model enthousiast among FH players...

I haven't researched the Jappanese Destroyer, but no doubt something is missing there too...

O3B72Y9CVA1A9M21CCFV3DYRAK576V9U71QJR0J5

Btw : During that documentairy about the war in the Pacific and kamikaze attacks ( that is late in the war ) on ships, carrier born aircraft during that documentairy were all Hellcats and a few Wildcats........absolutely no Corsairs. It is about time the Hellcat replaced the Corsair on many Pacific maps, since it was the main carrier based fighter for most of the war years......and the Wildcat in early Pacific maps.

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

...the fletcher has torpedos on it doest it?

Its got great big ones, that are in turrets like that model.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Actually, they showed US carriers were already attacking airfields in Japan itself ( very late in the war ) the main fighter blasting most of Jappanese (kamikaze) aircraft out of the sky before they even came near ships was still the Grumman Hellcat......

It seems the Hellcat was quitte a capable fighter, with one of the highest kill/loss ratio's any fighter ever had.....and a very important one too, what is the Corsair doing in all the maps it shouldn't be in ?

...the fletcher has torpedos on it doest it?

Its got great big ones, that are in turrets like that model.

??????

Maybe in the Beta you have, but in FH 0.5e it just has a double cannon front and rear and a depth charge launcher......i just checked in Midway...

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Yeh, ... the fletcher has torps, you just havnt been looking hard enough. I know theyr on atlantic.

Witch Hunter General

Dread thinks I'm a special person

50 XP

19th May 2003

0 Uploads

350 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

the Fleet Air Arm had already been using Corsairs on carriers for a year before the US Navy did the same. more a result of desperation(the Corsair is not to well-suited for carrier-operations), they didn't get Hellcats since the US Navy ate up the entire production, and the only other choices were the old Wildcat or their own limited designs.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago
McGibsYeh, ... the fletcher has torps, you just havnt been looking hard enough. I know theyr on atlantic.

Well, it seems you are right....

But out of the 2 destroyers i checked in Atlantic only one had torpedo's, and in Midway they do not have torpedo's. Why is that ?

There were more versions of Fletchers ? I know at least the ones in the Pacific did have torpedo's, i saw them used in that documentairy in that theatre.

striderx2048

DiCE/EA: Ambiguously Gay Duo

50 XP

16th May 2002

0 Uploads

2,073 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

the flecthers on the Dice maps are not all uniformed, but they should be. gahlachanuel has the correct fletcher.

Myxlminx

Fearless Leader

50 XP

4th November 2003

0 Uploads

254 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Errr, WHAT has the correct fletcher? :D

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

IIRC the Corsair was deemed unusable by the USN because the landing gear was too stiff and the long nose and rear seated pilot made landing approaches difficult at best. The Brits developed the curved landing approach that allowed the pilot to see the carrier over the left wing til the last minute. Until thenthe primary users were USMC and FAA. And I think the Corsair was brought to the carriers in mid 1944 as mentioned as a counter to the Kamikaze. The Hellcat was a excellent fighter but it was slow by US standards. Top speed was between 360-380mph. The Corsairs could hit 432-450mph depending on variant. The Corsairs were used with the Hellcats in a high low system where Hellcats flew top cover and the Corsairs flew low and mid altitude cover. The Cprsairs speed allowed it to rush around picking off Jap Kamikazes easier. As an interceptor it excelled at this role.

I have heard Atlantic Fletchers removed their torps since their was little to shoot at and Destroyers were already considered a litle top heavy. Most work was anti-sub with depth charges and hedgehogs. The Med most naval opposition was German E-Boats and heavily armed lighters.

It was in the Pacific fighting against Jap Destroyers in the Solomons that US Destroyers were engaged in very heavy fighting and casulties were sometimes high. Japs had much better torpedoes and were much better trained at night fighting and the Japanese Naval binoculars were designed to enhance visibility at night.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago
striderx2048the flecthers on the Dice maps are not all uniformed, but they should be. gahlachanuel has the correct fletcher.

No torps means not correct. And the Fletcher class was new to the area by end of October 1942.

Mahan, Bristol, and Bagley Class Destroyers were the workhorses of Guadalcanal.