Lord Nova

Hamster of War

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

204 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago
IIRC the commander won an Iron Cross. Any tank is only as good as the crew manning it and as Usercool pointed out the German tankers were the best.

Too bad the poll reads "which was the best heavy tank" not "which had the best crews"

However in late war the german tank crews suffered and their training/experience became more equal to their russian counterparts (since any russian tanker that somehow survided long enough, would eventually by experience become extremely familar with his tanks flaws and strengths).

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago
Originally posted by BAMmeu Rofl he didnt know that ;)?

Actually I knew who it was but if hes offended too bad I really dont give a damm.

[BlitzJ]Fenrir

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

30th April 2003

0 Uploads

35 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

Would have to say the Tiger/KingTiger considering that the Tiger and JS were farely equal and the ability of the crew was the deciding factor in victory. The JS was geared more towards destroying infantry and artillery and used HE rounds more than AP rounds which the Tiger and KingTiger were well armed with. The better manueverability of the Tiger could allow it to get in a better fighting position than the JS and its AP rounds could pierce the armor of the JS better than the JS's HE rounds could do to a Heavy Tank. There were barely any battles between JS's and KingTigers but a KingTiger's only weakness is its poor choice of engine. The armor of the KingTiger was almost impenetrable to the rockets and AP shells that the Allies possessed and its rate of fire, powerful gun, ammo magazine, and effective range were superior to the JS. Unfortunately the KingTiger was the right tank but at the wrong time of the war. Had the Germans been able to hold out a lil longer, the problems with the engine could've been corrected and the Russians would've had a real monster on their hands as opposed to the Maus. Also to be noted is the JS's weakness to shots from Panzerschrecks which had no trouble piercing the armor.

Lord Nova

Hamster of War

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

204 Posts

0 Threads

#4 16 years ago

In addition, a fire fight with Josef Stalin tanks should not be undertaken at less tehn platoon strength; employment of individual tigers means their loss

From Sept. 1944 issue of the Nachrichtenblatt der Panzertruppen, report of a tiger unit which had met the IS-II Stalin tank in Combat (found in: Soviet Armor tactics in WWII by Charles C. Sharp)

AS far as the fact that 4 king tigers can take out 25 JS tanks. Well i doubt this was very common on the battlefied. Ive read a story where a firefly wiped out 10 panthers and a sherman tanker taking out 2 tigers. Now did it happen? yes it did. Was it common? Hardly

NBrigade|TNT

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

1st May 2003

0 Uploads

5 Posts

0 Threads

#5 16 years ago

Hard decision. In a normal tank vs tank combat, a King Tiger would defeat IS2. No doubt about that. That's why I prefer King Tiger.

Ivegottheskill

No.1 STvsSW Fan

50 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

172 Posts

0 Threads

#6 16 years ago

Go King Tiger! The USSR just copied German stuff in WW2, and stole stuff from them at the end to try and get ahead. While the IS-2 sounds great with a 122mm cannon, I doubt it's real combat effectiveness.

It sounds like it would have been very slow and lumbering.

The thing I don't understand is how German tanks were so badly mauled bu infantry throwing grenades down the hatch. If they'd just had the gun on top remotely controlled by a gunner, they would have been near invincible :eek:

Taranov

FH Dev

50 XP

29th April 2003

0 Uploads

464 Posts

0 Threads

#7 16 years ago
Originally posted by Ivegottheskill Go King Tiger! The USSR just copied German stuff in WW2, and stole stuff from them at the end to try and get ahead.

Bo-o-o-olshit. :lol: Stolen technology? Ivegottheskill, how about that? vk3002db.jpg

It's Panther's prototype. T34-42sd.jpg

T-34/76 type 1941.

Stolen german stuff?:fistpunch:

Taranov

FH Dev

50 XP

29th April 2003

0 Uploads

464 Posts

0 Threads

#8 16 years ago

If you want to make IS-2...

is2_01.gif

I can scan in in better quality

Ivegottheskill

No.1 STvsSW Fan

50 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

172 Posts

0 Threads

#9 16 years ago

Originally posted by Taranov Bo-o-o-olshit. :lol: Stolen technology? Ivegottheskill, how about that? vk3002db.jpg It's Panther's prototype. T34-42sd.jpg T-34/76 type 1941. Stolen german stuff?:fistpunch:

So what, only one almost similar example to show. Russian jet engines from 1945-51 were all copies of German and British engines, a whole range of aircraft spawned from copies of the Me-262.

The Panther just looked similar, in reality it was a superior fighting vehicle.

The King Tiger would win hands down. I didn't realise it had a 128 mm gun :eek:

http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/military/weapons-german-tanks.html

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#10 16 years ago

Hmmm? What are you talking about? The Kingtiger was armed with a 88mmL71, only the Jagdtiger was armed with a 128mmL55. The Panther prototyp posted by Taranov was the Daimler Benz version of the Panther (the other one was chosen), and it WAS a close copy of the T34, no coincidence there. This is quite understandable, because one of the ideas how to fight the T34 was to simply copy it.