TheShadow

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

25th December 2000

0 Uploads

56 Posts

0 Threads

#11 15 years ago

No destroyers! The map is perfect now. Destroyers would ruin the whole map. The Omaha Beach should be all about infantry combat

Dee-Jaý

Always 1 point ahead of you

50 XP

17th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,694 Posts

0 Threads

#12 15 years ago
TheShadowNo destroyers! The map is perfect now. Destroyers would ruin the whole map. The Omaha Beach should be all about infantry combat

It would still be all about infantrie combat. You might not have noticed, but artillery support hardly has a significant impact on most maps regarding difficulty and balance. Also, it wouldn´t be much harder for the axis since they should all be hiding in their bunkers. So I wouldn´t worry about artillery unbalancing the map. Besides, it would really add to the rather quiet map (most of the time).

James Doolittle

Oldie

50 XP

29th November 2003

0 Uploads

172 Posts

0 Threads

#13 15 years ago

Yes, the map is really awsome. Although it could need some bombing sounds such as the sounds on Gold Beach, that'd be very cool!

Dee-Jaý -I don´t understand why the Allies don´t have at least a Destroyer, better even a Battleship to start off from. Not only would this be kind of a better atmosphere, but it would also allow the Allies to have some artillery support. -I gernerally think 2 LCDs are just to few for a map like this. Imho there should be at least 4, better 6 at once you can lauch from...

-There seems to be rather little artillery on the map, or its just never touched. -And last I can think of isn´t a specific Omaha Beach aspect, but the stationary MGs all seem rather powerfull. Instead of beeing emmidiate kills I say a hit with an MG 42 across the distance of the beach should take away about 70% of HP. The closer you get, the more dethal they could be. This also applys for the MG 34s...

Nah, the Allies don't need a Destroyer. Like someone else said here, it'd ruin the fun of the map...

I agree with you on the LCDs, there should be at least 4.

There's enough artillery as it is for the Axis. The rockets launched from the back are more than enough.

The MG42s are fine the way they are now, in my opinion they should be just like that. Because they are mainley how they should be (lol)...

BlitzPig_Machine

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

182 Posts

0 Threads

#14 15 years ago

I don't think the allies need artillery support.

Just put some sniper kits (1 or 2) on the beach please. :D

sturmklinge

Rippin' Kitten

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

451 Posts

0 Threads

#15 15 years ago

hm.. i like gold beach more then the new omaha. gold beach has the bit more atmosphere (imo). anyway a nice map.

whoever made this map (didn't read the credits well enough :/) there is a little cosmetic bug: to the right of the beach there are some houses. in front of the red house, there are two benches "hanging" in the air.

urseus

|LAB|urseus²

50 XP

8th May 2003

0 Uploads

263 Posts

0 Threads

#16 15 years ago

I didnt like it at the start, the allies had no chance. However when we all swarmed up the left and broke in i had a great time.

Suggestions:

- Needs ambience. The game is waaaaaay to quiet. - Move some arty and morters closer to the beach for the germans, so that you get more explosions and stuff on the beach. - Add a touch more fog on the beach to give the allies i little bit more of a chance. If youve ever played the day of defeat map dog1, that is the pinicle of what beach maps should be. It was in the original release of dod beta 2, but because the game makers didnt create it they were jelous of its popularity and cut it.

MkH^

FH tester

50 XP

25th September 2003

0 Uploads

2,286 Posts

0 Threads

#17 15 years ago

I already posted this into another thread, but since there seems to be a separate thread for the map, I guess it doesn't hurt posting this again.

Great map, especially on crowded servers. Had great time playing it today on 64 player server. I even spotted at least Lumpeh, Killor, Beast Of War and Grossamiral Dönitz there on the server. It was a really nice match, until some axis morons started camping on the beach with grenades and exp packs.

But, I do have some suggestions for that map too.

Ambient sounds. Especially when playing on yanks it feels very empty, even when running towards the shingle with dozens of machineguns firing 200 meters away from you. Maybe add some seagul sounds, artillery explosions, planes flying over (or even actual ambient planes, as seen on BattleGroup and FinnWars), soldiers screaming from pain and wawes hitting the sand. It would add so much atmoshphere to it. Those are a must. Especially on 30 player servers it really feels like a relaxing morning walk on the beach rather than.. well, Omaha landing.

Second thing about that map is that especially on smaller servers nearly everyone flanks from left or right of the beach instead of rushing right trough the middle, as often displayed on movies. It kind of gives you the feeling of five soldiers sneaking past the enemy defences, which is, at least to my knowledge, not what happened in Omaha.

Cutting out the most left part of the map would in my opinion be the best solution, but im quite sure the autor of the map would not find that fun, especially when the results of hours of hard work are visible on every part of the map.

Maybe limiting the left part of the beach somehow would be a solution to prevent most allied soldiers from landing there. It's a real shame that the left bunker usually stays almost intact when everyone goes either thru the right bunker or the passage on the left of the map and circle behind the lines of defense to the last flag without even being seen and put a quick end to the round. Thats why the middle part of the map, meaning the part that starts from the bunkers and ends at the last flag, hardly ever sees any action. I thought the meaning of it was to provide defensive positions for retreating Germans after their main line of defence, the beach bunkers, has been breached.

In my opinion leaving the bunkers as the only passage to enemy flags and making the landing area more narrow would hugely enchance the gameplay, not to mention the atmosphere.

Cpl. Joker

Go For Broke!

50 XP

6th March 2004

0 Uploads

14 Posts

0 Threads

#18 15 years ago

Great work on the Normandy beach maps FH team. This is without a doubt the best looking Omaha beach map for BF42 I've seen. About adding allied warships...During most of the battle, the infantry had to go it alone. The amphibious tanks had foundered in the surf and the fleet couldn't risk hitting thier own assault forces coming up on the beaches. The ships were farther out than the maps could accurately portray too. Ambient sounds would add imensely to the experience: explosions, yelling in german and english, and radios inside of the bunkers. Either way, great maps

nosispower

GF makes me horny

50 XP

13th February 2004

0 Uploads

96 Posts

0 Threads

#19 15 years ago

Does anyone feel it's a little too big though? A lot of times, I'm running up the beach alone or with 1 or 2 other guys. I doesn't have as much of the desperation that was seen in SPR. The way that you can sneak around the MG is also a little annoying. So many people just opt to go towards the houses on the right, instead of having to dash for the sea wall for cover.

urseus

|LAB|urseus²

50 XP

8th May 2003

0 Uploads

263 Posts

0 Threads

#20 15 years ago

The size is fine that was the problem with the original looked really silly with these enclosed cliffs.

I think were all in agreence that intense ambience and more explosions are needed on the beach.