zero_zero

I'm sonic the spacehog

50 XP

17th November 2003

0 Uploads

363 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Yesterday I had an encounter with my panzer IV. Shot 5 rounds from 2 metres distance in the side of a T-34. I took 5 bloody shots from almost point blank range to destroy it! This pissed me of because I know it can be done with 1 shot when you hit the sweet spot. Only thing is I dont know any sweetspots. If some-one knows sweetspots plz. report them and what's the logic of it? Do tanks have 'sweetspots' in real life?

Huffardo

Arrrr!

48,770 XP

29th November 2003

0 Uploads

4,632 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

The short-barreled 75mm gun isn't that good, but five shots in the side of a t-34/76 sounds odd, at least if you are talking about FH 0.5 and its, in my opinion, a bit under-armoured version of it. IRL some tanks had weak points in the middle of thick armour, e.g. under the gun mantlet, but almost all had weak top and bottom armour and often quite weak back armour. Besides, was the t-34 manned with bots or empty? :) (When it didn't shoot back). If not, one or more engineers might have repaired it while you shot at it.

LIGHTNING [NL]

FH2 Developer

50 XP

30th May 2003

0 Uploads

9,811 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

Aim for the rear of the tank if you can. If not, aim for the tracks. Try never to attack any tank head on.

dRaStiQ

Master and Commander

50 XP

26th October 2003

0 Uploads

580 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

the rear of the tracks also does more damage than the front of the tracks

Winther

FH Betatester

50 XP

16th November 2003

0 Uploads

678 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Don't shot at the top side of the tank. Just in the tracks. The tracks usually do more damage than the rear btw.

[11PzG]matyast

[11PzG] clan leader

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,175 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

I always try to hit the back of the tank, or the top of the tank, where the engine is. I think that is the best method.

But 5 shots, that sounds impossible......I got killed by TommyGunDaliani with only 2 shots in the front...O_o

zero_zero

I'm sonic the spacehog

50 XP

17th November 2003

0 Uploads

363 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

Does FH has area-damage? I hitted the tank in 4 differant spots. Maybe that was it.

Big Lebowski

This is not nam

50 XP

6th December 2003

0 Uploads

1,959 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

yes FH has area-damage

but diden't you say that you hit the tank in the side?

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago
'LIGHTNING [NL']Aim for the rear of the tank if you can. If not, aim for the tracks. Try never to attack any tank head on.

Actually I wouldn't mind attacking the Panzer II head on with any tank. The panzer IV D is a little more dangerous but not that much if you have a Sherman, T-34 or Crusader. Every else though...

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

My tests in game have shown that most tanks take more damage to the side than to the rear. I have not tested every tank so this may not apply to all models.

Unfortunately you picked about the worst tank to shoot at a T34 with. The short barreled 75mm gun is a very poor anti tank gun.

In real life tanks did have weak spots. On the M4 Sherman you will notice in pictures a rectangular patch panel on the side of the tank, that was a paticularly weak spot as the ammo was soted there. There really wasnt a good spot on teh Sherman since the Germans had such good A/T guns that they could kill the Sherman with any long bareled 75mm gun from 1500m and less.

In real life the Tiger I's had a weak point in the armor where the fuel tanks were. At ranges of 20m or less a Sherman, Cromwell, Churchill, or T-34/76 stood a good chance of penetrating a Tiger.

IRL the T-34's weakspot was the drivers hatch in the front plate. It was less heavily armored than the rest of the hull and a direct hit on the hatch would usually penetrate. The curved front of the early style turrets also deflected shots down into the front plate or top hull depending where the turret was facing. The T34 model 1943 had a redesigned front turret plate that was flat to reduce deflections into the tank.

The Panther had a problem with the curved front manlet deflecting shots into the hull roof. Later G models had an additional chin armor added to the bottom of the manlet. Side armor on the Panther was also considered too weak and later models had thicker side armor.