Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

No, not a bug.....

But all that use top mounted mg in a tank that is driven by another player know what i mean. Most tank drivers scan the area turning their turret around all the time. You behind the top mounted mg move with that turning.

But suddenly you see an enemy soldier aiming his AT weapon at your tank, but the tank driver is turning his turret........that makes hitting that enemy AT infantry soldier impossible !!!

You could suggest tank drivers should not rotate their turret all the time, so the top mg gunner can take care of all AT infantry that threaten the tank. The top mg gunner can do that much, much more efficient then the tank driver himself......but.....when the tank driver doesn't scan the area, he will be shot by enemy tanks.....

That leaves me with a question, asked by others before : Can't we have a top mounted mg position that doesn not turn with the tank turret, and can be operated independend of it ?

It is a bit unrealistic, but real life top mounted mg gunners have no lag, and actually know where the tank turret is going to turn.....since they have good intercom. Clan can have that with TS, but in pub servers that is almost impossible for regular players.

[1.SS.Pz]LSSAH

You suck at the Internet.

50 XP

22nd November 2003

0 Uploads

536 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago
Beast of WarThat leaves me with a question, asked by others before : Can't we have a top mounted mg position that doesn not turn with the tank turret, and can be operated independend of it ?

EoD .3 has independent MG positions on a lot of the tanks. From my experience it was really well done and caused me no lag. I think DC was on the way to implementing something like this but it got fouled up somehow. But, to answer your question, yes it is possible, and I don't think it's all that hard to implement.

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Dispite the fact of it being unrealistic for the time, i think it would do alot for gameplay. I hate being on arnhem or something and tring to shoot a piat troop as the tanker is flicking his turret 180*. We both get killed.

Right now i usually stick to tigers, they dont turn theyr turret very often, and if they do, its nice and slow.

Baron_Von_Goofey

all polar bears r left handed

50 XP

14th November 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

i recon that this is one of those instances where the fh team need to sacrifice realism for game play

Lateralus

Ad astra per aspera.

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

441 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

To add to this thread a little bit, some of the MGs mounted on vehicles have incorrect characteristics.

The Hanomag, for example. Its top-mounted MG cannot turn in a complete circle, as it could in real life.

The Sherman top-mounted .50 cal is also incorrect. That weapon was on a mount that could only rotate about 90 degrees in each direction.

I haven't tried every single vehicle, but these I noticed while playing yesterday. Hopefully these will be fixed in a future release.

Baron_Von_Goofey

all polar bears r left handed

50 XP

14th November 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

so in the sherman's case an independant mg would not be a good idea

[1.SS.Pz]LSSAH

You suck at the Internet.

50 XP

22nd November 2003

0 Uploads

536 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago
Baron_Von_Goofeyi recon that this is one of those instances where the fh team need to sacrifice realism for game play

Yeah I hear that -- it's damn near suicidal on Arnhem trying to cross the bridge. I have more luck speeding across in a Puma and getting on of the rear flags.

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago
The Hanomag, for example. Its top-mounted MG cannot turn in a complete circle, as it could in real life.

Depends on the hanomag version. Some only have 180* rotates (stuka hanomag) and some have 360 turrets (standard hanomag) as they did in real life.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago
Baron_Von_Goofeyi recon that this is one of those instances where the fh team need to sacrifice realism for game play

:agreed

Non related, but also an issue is the fixed tunnel view of the apc driver. It would be nice if he could look around because he has no turret to do so. Apc could be more usefull in anti infantry role, if the driver ( if alone) had better situational awareness.

In the Stuka zu Fuss "apc" you can have a look around as driver.....i hope all apc get that view.

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

Agreed.