SilenT AssassiN

A South African Bohemian

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,951 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

serously if its taking this long .......how big 1 GB..what ever happened to those old games being only 5 mb humph....?!!??anyone take a guess

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

And your point is... ?

Master Minder

FHdev

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

680 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago
what ever happened to those old games being only 5 mb humph....?!!??

--> evelution

btw fh 0.6 will probably (like major allready said in his interview) about 200 MB bigger than 0.5

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago
silent assassinserously if its taking this long .......how big 1 GB..what ever happened to those old games being only 5 mb humph....?!!??anyone take a guess

I do remember when Aces of the Pacific shipped on about 3 or 4 floppies.

One reason todays 3D graphics cards have 128MB of memory and more is that the texture maps can easily take that much.

And research how many polygons were in a character model for Doom and compare that to the new Doom game coming out in spring.

IIRC Doom used roughly 300 polys per model and todays models can easily exceed 3,000. All that detail takes up storage space.

Doom used to model a bdy with head attached and arms against the body. Now look at Half Life 2 where the body armor is a seperate mdoel, Barney's ID tag is a separate model so it sways when he moves, etc. All that detail adds realism. Its a trade off with how much detail can the developers add to make the game look and feel good without bogging down the system.

The FH modellers could easily make a 20,000 poly model of a Tiger that would take your breathaway and run and move like the real thing...as long as there werent too many of them.

Look at specs on video card and you will usually see a spec for how many polygons a second or how many triangles a second the card can draw. Every single item in teh game is made of polygons and triangles. The more triangles and polygons in the scene the more detail and the better it looks and the more storage space and system memory it will take.

Since we are talking about a known quantity like the bf:1942 engine a 200mb increase in the game size is significant. Means lots of new mouth watering eye candy for all the boys and girls.

Just a quick example of detail. Have you ever seen the TV show Babylon 5?

The Minbarii war cruisers in the show are computer generated and are about 30,000 polygons. The Minbarii war cruiser in the Babylon 5 conversion for the game Freespace 2 is about 3,500 polygons but looks almost as good.How? Attention to detail where its needed and having a very good skinner imitate the rest of the detail in the skin that goes on the model.

okiN

Duke

50 XP

26th August 2003

0 Uploads

495 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

So it'll be almost 500 megs? HOLY COW! I have cable, and that's got ME scared! :o

AussieZaitsev

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2003

0 Uploads

1,970 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

bye bye cap (3GB)

striderx2048

DiCE/EA: Ambiguously Gay Duo

50 XP

16th May 2002

0 Uploads

2,073 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

no cap here

AussieZaitsev

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2003

0 Uploads

1,970 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

thats coz your in the US right in australia we only just got the radio, so caps are still on :(

lumpeh

FH Groupie

50 XP

25th September 2003

0 Uploads

1,174 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

I hope when you said 'Doom' you meant Quake because Doom used sprites :p Lest yer include the super versions they've made since GLDoom came out.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

HA !

I have just to meet the first broadband user that isn't downloading music and entire movies of 700 mb + nearly all the time.

The only reason to complain would be the FH download will use some of your monthly cap if you have one that is, and block or slow down other downloads fo a short amount of time...

Wich is ofcourse no valid excuse at all if you are a real FH player. I couldn't care if the download was 2 gigabyte, and who really would ? Just leave your computer running while you are sleeping or away. Then you have FH when you wake up or come home....there is no cost per minute as in using a phoneline modem is there ?

And for the ones that do still have a phonemodem....get cable or (A)DSL quick...it is cheaper then a phonebill....really.