Tanelorn

DC Dev

50 XP

17th March 2004

0 Uploads

55 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Just wanted to post some links to footage of these weapons being fired. Demonstrates a much higher degree of control than is demonstrated in-game.

PKM being sholder fired. This weapon is heavier and much more unwieldly than the BAR or Bren. Notice the good control he has over it. PKM movie

Panzerfausts. Not the best, but good enough to see some action. It may take a bit to aim the weapon, but that's simply for estimating range. If we were given a PF iron sight, this would take care of it. It takes a while for us to determine a proper angle in-game anyway. There was nothing to stop a german from firing the PF immediately after a run, and being fairly accurate in real life. Also notice the much higher exit velocity of the warhead. Panzerfaust vid

Submachineguns. Notice the very low recoil and how well these people keep them on-target during full auto fire. Thompson

MP40

PPSH

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

See how all these guys stand still when they fire ?

That is something diffrent then firing a weapon bunnyhopping or running...... :rolleyes:

In game, when you stand still and fire in controlled bursts - as these guys do - you get the same results !!

And again......are these guys really hitting a target, or firing these guns for show......that is a retorical question.....

So what is your point ??

Cpl.Punishment

Putting the "Hip" in Hipocracy

50 XP

11th March 2004

0 Uploads

25 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

In game, when you stand still and fire in controlled bursts - as these guys do - you DIE.

NEVAR STAND STILL. ;)

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Right you are, but i was comparing ingame shooting guns to these guys shooting guns in RL.

My point is, if these real life guys started firing their guns on the run as ingame they would shoot their own feet !!! Or at least hit nothing they try to shoot.

Same if they were running ( heavely breathing ) and then stop to shoot......terrible accuracy, or if properly controlled not able to shoot for several seconds trying to regulate breath to shoot accuratly....

There is a diffrence in sports shooting and military shooting.......sports gunners try to be as accuratly as possible and certainly do not run and fire weapons heavily breathing and/or with sweat stinging in their eyes.....or a 1 kg heavy helmet on their head.....or backpack/military gear hampering good and quick positioning....

Hence you cannot compare sports shooters with ingame situation.

But if you do as these guys do ingame : stand still and fire controlled busts, you will get about the same result....

FH crosshairs for infantry guns are fine as is.....really.

residentevil3

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

24th June 2003

0 Uploads

45 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

That MP40 seems the easiest of the mall to shoot.

Icewarp

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

15th November 2003

0 Uploads

59 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

So based on sport videos like that DC makes their configs?

L O L

Now I understand why...

Tanelorn

DC Dev

50 XP

17th March 2004

0 Uploads

55 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago
So based on sport videos like that DC makes their configs?

Explains why so many people like the weapons handling in DC.

If you watch your crosshairs when you fire full auto with a subgun you will see they expand significantly. The game also has aimpoint movement, which is a better way to handle recoil.

And with the machineguns and rifles, it takes much longer to get your aim in FH than it does iRL. What's so difficult about stopping from a run, raising your rifle, and shooting someone? It certainly doesn't take me 5 seconds to put something in my sights.

BF1942 doesn't allow leaning and walking counts the same as running for crosshair expansion purposes. Especially with the rifles and heavy autorifles, the movement penalty is fierce and it takes far too long to regain your aim. It requires skill to aim at a target, compensating for movement and lagleading, and the basic hand-eye coordination for lining up the shot. Let most of that skill come from the player, don't force innacuracy and long wait times.

If you're going to simulate the difficulties of firing when standing, the AT rifle is a great example. That has aimpoint sway that doesn't go away unless you lie down. The whole waiting 5-10 seconds to aim at a target is nonsense.

These videos show how controllable the weapons are. I thought in 0.6 the FH team would make these weapons more useful for short range combat.

Sputty

Master of Kittens

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

927 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

Guns from that video seem to handle very much like FH's weapons. You can fire accurate while standing and not moving with just about any gun. the MGs are a little more difficult but it's still useable.

StrangerThanFiction

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,110 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

I don't think the smgs are that hard to us effectively in 0.6. I use them all the time since my aim is lousy--If you lie down and hold it steady, you can hit targets even at medium ranges now. The AT weapon timings are a bit of an overcompensation from the opposite problem in 0.5--excessive lethality. People would get blown up in the air by a near miss from a tank, and still be able to accurately fire a panzerfaust at the offending tank. They'll find a happy medium eventually. Nice panzerfaust video, btw.

Lateralus

Ad astra per aspera.

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

441 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

I couldn't get all the videos to work, but the video of the Thompson is irrelevant because the one shown has a Cutts compensator installed, which significantly reduced recoil. The M1A1 Thompson we have in FH doesn't have a compensator, and I believe the barrel is shorter also. That means that the M1A1 should have considerably more recoil, and also be less accurate.

Even if FH's modeling is a bit overdone, it's for a reason. Players should not have any incentive to run-and-gun; they should only be successful when firing from a stationary position, using cover and concealment, etc. If the only way the team can force players to play realistically is exaggerating the crosshair deviation, more power to them.