emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#1 17 years ago

This documentary is now on the History Channel and is a godsend for anyone tying to do a authentic Wake Island map.

Lots of on scene color video as Veterans walk and point out where the fighting was and tell their story.

Makes me realize the DICE map is the wrong color, is too tall and the vegetation is all wrong.

This show will probably be repeated later today for those that want to try and catch it.

I posted it here so those that wanted to see it would find it.

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#2 17 years ago

Wake is prety much a big sandbar. Dices map is the right shape, but its like a freakin mountain.

DHC|Bazza

FH Skinner

50 XP

11th September 2003

0 Uploads

171 Posts

0 Threads

#3 17 years ago

Boy are you guys in for a surprise ;)

*zips up mouth*

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#4 17 years ago

*glee*

Tries desperatily to pry open bazza's mouth.

DHC|Bazza

FH Skinner

50 XP

11th September 2003

0 Uploads

171 Posts

0 Threads

#5 17 years ago

Im not saying anything... I just liked it how you imediately recognised how the map SHOULD look.

RandomChurch

Reaching out and touching you

50 XP

23rd September 2003

0 Uploads

145 Posts

0 Threads

#6 17 years ago

Yeah that show was on a long while ago, and I just noticed today they were reshowing it. At least FH knows Springfields instead of Garands. And the old fashioned saucer helmet things from WWI, and Wildcats not Corsairs! Oivay! Ah, love the Marines. Really whipped some japanese ass there.

Iggins

King of the Llamas

50 XP

11th July 2003

0 Uploads

83 Posts

0 Threads

#7 17 years ago

i take it you watched it today too. i saw it a ong time ago and today. it's a good two hours.

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#8 17 years ago

Anlushac11This documentary is now on the History Channel and is a godsend for anyone tying to do a authentic Wake Island map.

Lots of on scene color video as Veterans walk and point out where the fighting was and tell their story.

This show will probably be repeated later today for those that want to try and catch it.

Anyone see the CNN Presents where they took George Bush Sr. back to the islands he was bombing (and got shot down over) in WW2? It was a really fascinating show. They showed him sitting there and shaking the hand of some old Japanese guy that was in the building he was supposed to have bombed. Craziness. (Sorry a bit OT) The sand was black, instead of yellow, and there was almost no Mountains. There were patches of dense forest, and they toured Iwo Jima as well. Dice got that one pretty wrong. Almost no mountains except for the big one (forget the name). It had little dugout pits where Japanese would sit and wait for the US to pass them, then shoot them in the backs.

cat3

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th December 2003

0 Uploads

264 Posts

0 Threads

#9 17 years ago
'[CNIOhioan']There were patches of dense forest, and they toured Iwo Jima as well. Dice got that one pretty wrong. Almost no mountains except for the big one (forget the name). It had little dugout pits where Japanese would sit and wait for the US to pass them, then shoot them in the backs.

Mount Suribachi. I always felt that Iwo Jima was pretty accurate geographically, but it was like they shrunk the land area by half but kept the elevation the same.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#10 17 years ago
Vic VegaMount Suribachi. I always felt that Iwo Jima was pretty accurate geographically, but it was like they shrunk the land area by half but kept the elevation the same.

First time I played DICE's version of Iwo I was like "Wheres the infamous black sand beaches?"

And DICE's Guadalcanal with no Henderson field, no Pagoda Hill, Mt. Austin, etc.