skeleton_man

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

5 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

First time post, and not really sure if this is the appropriate forum, which is why I've also posted it to suggestions. Great mod btw, for a first release.

Anywho, why ducks should be included.

Maybe its just me, but I've noticed that in a fair few games so far that teams become penned back at bridging points. Sometimes the opposing team can build up a force of tanks/troops such that there is essentially no way for the other team to overcome them and get past the bridge, regardless of effort.

What I would like to see is the introduction of an amphibious vehicle for each side, limited to one apiece at the base camp (to prevent it being used as a simple taxi). That way, when a situation such as that outlined above arises, it would be possible to get troops across the river and into action en-mass, instead of having them picked off piece-meal as they try to sneak across the bridge.

I'm not sure what is available for the axis side, but the alles could use a DUKW (duck, get it?). These were in reasonable heavy use in WW2 from my admitedly limited and sketchy knowledge, and manufactured in Britain. The reason I thought of them was that I saw one in my hometown recently, where a company has repaired a few surviving DUKWs and used them to give tours through the town, and up the main river which runs through it.

I just think it would be a really good addition to the game on the city levels with rivers running through them, like Karkov and Orel (might be mixing the maps up here).

Here is some basic info from a site dedicated to them that I came across through Google.

"DUKW's were created following the attack on Pearl Harbour as a means to transport supplies from ships to areas that did not have port facilities. DUKW's were first used operationally in Europe during the invasion of Sicily. Nearly 90% of all supplies came in by DUKW on the vital second and third days of the invasion. D-Day brought a force of 2000 DUKW's to the Normandy coasts. The fleet was an essential element in the strategic surprise of the enemy, which assumed the Allies needed a port to make an effective landing. Considered to be one of the most successful amphibious vehicles ever made, there were ultimately over 21,000 produced by a work force consisting mainly of women working in the war effort. "

Anywho, even if its just a pipe dream, here are some images of the "ducks" in action

Photo of DUKW and Troops id_dukw_full.jpg

color DUKW dukw.jpg

Renovated DUKW In Water DUKW3.GIF

The following is a .doc with history, details and images of the DUKW

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~jrcoles/DUKW%20DETAILS.doc

Anyone else feel that DUKWs, and an Axis equivalent (if one exists) might make great additions to the game further down the line?

LIGHTNING [NL]

FH2 Developer

50 XP

30th May 2003

0 Uploads

9,811 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Don't forget the LWS and the schwimmwagen!!! (Where the hell is the schwimmwagen???)

Lord Nova

Hamster of War

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

204 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

weren't they working on this at one point? i thought it was already done

Neko Reaperman

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,126 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago
Lord Novaweren't they working on this at one point? i thought it was already done

meh.... i would prefer if there were as few "sneaking around" stratagies as possible...

im sick of holding a bridgte in bf42, only to see the flag behind me go grey because some idiot just swam across the river....

whats wrong with fighting over one location for an entire round? i find slow, almost fixed-front battles to be very very fun...

Lord Nova

Hamster of War

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

204 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Well they would only be in pacific maps or maps that take place close to D-day. I mean its kinda dumb to have them in the middle of bocage or bulge.

hasund

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

29th September 2003

0 Uploads

25 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Neko Reapermanmeh.... i would prefer if there were as few "sneaking around" stratagies as possible...

im sick of holding a bridgte in bf42, only to see the flag behind me go grey because some idiot just swam across the river....

whats wrong with fighting over one location for an entire round? i find slow, almost fixed-front battles to be very very fun...

Hm...I disagree, but I also agree. I like there to be many strategies at hand, perhaps because I am a typical sneaker but because it allows a wider choise of strategies and counterstrategies, more variety and unpredictability to the game.

BUT. This is the ideal state, and on big maps with a lot of posts I get the feeling the whole game is without structure or form sometimes. The map Hellendoorn in Secret Weapons (conquest mode) is the best example I think. They have amphibious vehicles and they keep crossing the lakes, making it harder to hold of enemies. The result often is that posts are one and lost and one in something that looks like a random dance. Noow queue to my fave FH map, Karelia. Fixed fronts, a clear aim for both teams, more of a war-feeling to it. Easier to get a "team feeling" with strangers on a server.

My moral is, I want cake, but why have it if you can't eat it. Design different maps that have makes possible different types of strategies. Clans and teams with good cooperation can deal with the more complex game patterns in Hellendorn, others can have more fun knowing exactly what direction (but not where..) the enemy is in Karelia. And by the way, more maps like the one just mentioned would be very welcome.

(It annoys me too when they do it to me, but I won't stop making that flag grey).

rustybit

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

29th September 2003

0 Uploads

108 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

do DUCKS need to be in the game i say yes for one thay fit in with the realism that FH is going for and that thing that EA put in the SECRET WEAPONS OF WWII i dont know the name of it it was used in the South Asia Pacific NOT in Western Europe !

Key Features ยท Machines of War. Get behind the controls of 35 historically accurate WWII vehicles and fight a raging battle on land, sea, or air! Charge across the desert in a powerful tank or transport troops into battle in an armored APC. Pilot a heavy bomber over the drop zone or engage in a nail-biting dogfight. Fire the guns of a mighty battleship or prowl the sea-lanes in a submarine. The outcome of the battle depends upon the choices you make.

i dont see it EA

Neko Reaperman

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,126 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

rustybitdo DUCKS need to be in the game i say yes for one thay fit in with the realism that FH is going for and that thing that EA put in the SECRET WEAPONS OF WWII i dont know the name of it it was used in the South Asia Pacific NOT in Western Europe !

i dont see it EA

ar'nt DUWK's (or whatever) just converted 2 1/2 ton trucks?

Artie Bucco

Guey>Tio(a)

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,682 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago
Neko Reapermanar'nt DUWK's (or whatever) just converted 2 1/2 ton trucks?

Yuppers

and they were used pretty much in almost all major amphbious landings in Europe and as well as the Far East in Burma and a shitload of islands in the Pacific

rustybit

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

29th September 2003

0 Uploads

108 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

it was used in the South Asia Pacific NOT in Western Europe ! The LVT-2 Water Buffalo is an armored amphibious landing vehicle housed in a tank chassis. It is effective in both sea- or land-based engagements. With armored sides protecting its payload and three machine gun turrets allowing it to defend itself with ease, the LVT-2 is an ideal amphibious transport. and not by the UK that i know if

new_weapons_5.jpg