Nijo

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

20th August 2003

0 Uploads

140 Posts

0 Threads

#61 16 years ago

If stronger AA makes all them flyboys stay high up in the skies and practice some high altitude bombing instead of flying at 10-feet alt with a B25 then it can only be good for the mod ;)

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#62 16 years ago
NijoIf stronger AA makes all them flyboys stay high up in the skies and practice some high altitude bombing instead of flying at 10-feet alt with a B25 then it can only be good for the mod ;)

Hitting something with one load of limited number of realtive to RL too weak bombs at high altitude in FH can be a problem without proper bomb aiming equipment.....

You ofcourse know, real bombers that bombed high altitude had a bomb aiming position in the nose, with a device helping to determine release timing and fine control the bomber over the target. Not the pilot flew the bomber the last minute almost over the target, but the autopilot and bomb aimer in the nose did.

Without a bomb aiming position and device, at high altitude you will just drop bombs that scatter all over the place rarely killing any enemy or vehicle, thus being useless for your team. Especially if several gunners are onboard, you have a vehicle that takes several players that will not contribute to the fight in a usefull way.......bad idea.

Besides, we are talking about bombers that were used as level bombers. Most B25 were more used as tactical bombers, that is why you see the FH version having 8 mg to the sides of the cockpit......

Ju 88, BF 110, Ju 87 were all tactical bombers too. They were designed to divebomb and strafe targets, not to levelbomb them at high altitude.

I am all for heavy bombers like the B24 Liberator and B17 Flying fortress in bigger maps having a nose bomb aimer position. A position with a view looking down - magnefied or not - and with control of the plane must be possible within the bf1942 engine.

I would also like the B24 and B17 bombs have proper blast area effect then.....one 1000 lbs bomb must have similar effect to half what a scud missile does in DC, ( scud conventional warhead = 2000 lbs ) and heavy bombers coud carry 6x 1000 lbs if i am not mistaken. Bomb damage for heavy bombers in FH 0.5 are far too weak.

Maybe with half or whole DC scud size explosions these heavy level bombers could do without a bomb aimer aswell. The question is, who really wants RL damage from 1000 ( or even 2000) lbs bombs that destroy half a base with one bomb impact, let alone 6x1000lbs or 2x2000 lbs ( plus 4x500lbs ) of them ?

Nijo

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

20th August 2003

0 Uploads

140 Posts

0 Threads

#63 16 years ago

Keep 2 things in mind: - Even divebombers released their load at an altidude that was higher than you are able to climb with a plane in FH (ca. 800m).

- Strategical bombers were not really capable of "precision"-bombing anyway. If they hit an area within a 3km radius of the designated target it was considered a hit. So even if you have to stay very high with your bomber in FH, a dedicated bombing run, releasing the full bomb load over a heavily-defended flag will hit the flag area and kill almost everything defending it. And that is as close to reality as it can/should get in FH.

Maybe you cannot kill a lone Tiger with a single bomb anymore but thats not what the bigger planes should be used for anyway, imho.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#64 16 years ago

NijoKeep 2 things in mind: - Even divebombers released their load at an altidude that was higher than you are able to climb with a plane in FH (ca. 800m).

- Strategical bombers were not really capable of "precision"-bombing anyway. If they hit an area within a 3km radius of the designated target it was considered a hit. So even if you have to stay very high with your bomber in FH, a dedicated bombing run, releasing the full bomb load over a heavily-defended flag will hit the flag area and kill almost everything defending it. And that is as close to reality as it can/should get in FH.

Maybe you cannot kill a lone Tiger with a single bomb anymore but thats not what the bigger planes should be used for anyway, imho.

All True.....

But keep the fog limitatons in mind of the bf1942 engine. Flying at altitudes Flak has a hard time hitting you means you probably lose sight of groundtargets yourself too.

Infantry gets invisible and tanks real small long before fog altitude allready. Hitting most buildings you can see from that high does nothing in FH. ( unless they incuded objective mode maps )

Sawmill exepted. Somehow all infantry and vehicles ( Wespe/jeeps ) inside a sawmill will die/be destroyed from aircraft bomb explosions on the roof.

shrinerr

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

1,258 Posts

0 Threads

#65 16 years ago

Dont keep the fog, its ridiculous. You cant see jack all like a few hundred metres up.

[11PzG]matyast

[11PzG] clan leader

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,175 Posts

0 Threads

#66 16 years ago

The fog is not so bad.....except it wasnt everywhere.....maybe on maps like bocage and BOB it could be removed......but otherwise, it adds to realism.

shrinerr

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

1,258 Posts

0 Threads

#67 16 years ago

I doubt that at midway there was a thick blanket of fog..

Schpetzka

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

177 Posts

0 Threads

#68 16 years ago
The fog is not so bad.....except it wasnt everywhere.....maybe on maps like bocage and BOB it could be removed......but otherwise, it adds to realism.

It doesn't add to realism but it's there for gameplay reasons and to be kind to lower end PCs.

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#69 16 years ago

Good point. Fog is important for game balance purposes in that respect. Now, what i'd like to see is more Russian maps where it ISN'T cold, bleak, grey and brown textures and such. They DID fight in nice sunlit weather on green fields now and then, you know. :)

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#70 16 years ago

if you remove fog the game will lag like shit but its your choice ...