I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

9th May 2003

0 Uploads

1 Posts

0 Threads

#32 17 years ago

I read this post with interest as im a bit of an airship head,

ok it seems that you are unaware of the role of airships in WW2.

Only the american navy operated airships during this period for anti submarine warfare and only one was shot down, how many over 400 during the course of the war along the US seaboards (airships where made obsolete by nuclear subs in the 50's).

In WW1 Britiain operated nearly the same number of airships nearly all non rigid blimps while the german Zeppelin and Schute-lanz companies bult about 120 rigid airships.

But in euorpe it was not observation balloons that where used it was Barrage balllons.

The difference was they unmanned and held aloft cables and "nets" litterly to catch aircraft with and where to put off low level attacks and where used on d-day and even against V1's.

ok im bored know and ill have a lie down my first post here too.

:)

Pulseczar

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

23rd January 2003

0 Uploads

33 Posts

0 Threads

#33 17 years ago

so, has anything come of the airship/zeppelin idea, since this thread was active?

DHC|Bazza

FH Skinner

50 XP

11th September 2003

0 Uploads

171 Posts

0 Threads

#34 17 years ago

The Graf Zeppelin company never flew another Zeppelin following the Hindenburg disaster in the 1930s I think it was either 1936 or 1937.

It would be a great Idea to use blimps for the US navy if any convoy/wolfpack objective map was to transpire. Just a suggestion.

Barrage baloons around airfields or being towed by destroyers for amphibious maps would be hellishly cool and help lower the power of aircraft on the battlefield.

Lobo

All your base are belong to FH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

6,883 Posts

0 Threads

#35 17 years ago

The barriage ballons, the skin is temporary

post-2-1062828611.jpg

HeLmUt_KlAmKe

Hell on Mute™

50 XP

28th August 2003

0 Uploads

729 Posts

0 Threads

#36 17 years ago

yum yum ...edited bocage map :) BoB skybox and a focke-wulf :)

by the way....i got little questions...Hedgrows (sp?) bocage was a "green hell" cause of them :)

and the baloons look sweet...even sweeter with those lines...

yeah..i will grab it and fly (yeah!.....Mary poppins style, hold the mayo :cool: )

Lobo

All your base are belong to FH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

6,883 Posts

0 Threads

#37 17 years ago

I think the blimps will not be in Bocage, this is only a Major Hartmann's test screen to show us the blimps ingame.

HeLmUt_KlAmKe

Hell on Mute™

50 XP

28th August 2003

0 Uploads

729 Posts

0 Threads

#38 17 years ago

yeah...those are good for "D-Day + 3" map :)

LIGHTNING [NL]

FH2 Developer

50 XP

30th May 2003

0 Uploads

9,811 Posts

0 Threads

#39 17 years ago

Great looking model Lobo (as always :))

But can you shoot them? Or will they just be static objects. In real life those thing would have steel cables and if you'd hit one it could tare off a wing :D

Tim nice but dim

mmmmmm doughnuts

50 XP

7th July 2003

0 Uploads

285 Posts

0 Threads

#40 17 years ago
HeLmUt_KlAmKeyeah...those are good for "D-Day + 3" map :)

nice barrage balloons:) I reckon that the planes attacking Indy's plane are computer generated.They didn't look partically real(well it was made in 1989).

I heard there is going to be another Indiana Jones movie a while ago:)

edit:aha it says 'Once again, full-size airplanes and miniatures were combined to realize the sequence. For live-action shots involving the enemy pursuers, Swiss army training planes were dressed to look like German World War II fighters. making_c_73.jpg thats either a small plane or a pretty big guy:)(allies secret weapon);)