BF1942 crashes my Comp -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 13 years ago

Hi everybody, i did a fresh WinXP SP2 install today...and i installed BF1942 too. Joined a server for a little gameplay and after a while...the computer rebooted. I tried again and after a different ingame time...the computer rebooted again. (and so on) Ok...i tried google to solve my problem and i deactivated the "restart on system crash" option in "my computer" settings...started BF1942 again...played a little bit. The next crash occured and...i received a _blank_ bluescreen...well...can somebody tell me what i have to do to get my lovely bf1942 running properly again? before the fresh install of winxp it worked fine... :-S my comp: Gigabyte 8KNXP Rev. 2.0 P4 3,0 Ghz w. HT 2x 512 MB noname RAM Audigy LS Soundcard Radeon 9800 XT Graphiccard 7 x 160 GB Samsung Harddisks Battlefield w. 1.61 patch on a fresh installed windows xp if you have some questions...ask me and i will tell you the needed informations... Thanks... Kilian

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

Was it crashing before re-install? Does it scrash quicker after an immediate resatart? If it was, and does crash quicker check your vid card/CPU for overheating, make sure all fans are spinning properly. Take side of case and see if it runs better etc.

AK

:smokin:

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 13 years ago

no it doesnt crash before reinstall... with normal tasks (no 3D gaming) the graphic card has 68°C and the matter is...i can play HALO without problems/reboot :uhoh: i tell you later if the game crashes quicker after a first reboot.

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

OK, 68c is HOT for a integrated circuit of any kind, and it is specially worrisome seeing as this is not under load. If it get up to the 80c+ mark under load (which is quite likely), it could lead to crashing. Most CPU's top operating temp is 80-90c, any more and you are in serious trouble, and the difference between idle and full load on CPU's can mean a difference of much more than 10c. an idle temp of 40-45 and full load of 60-65 is not at all unusual in CPU's, if your vid card follows the same pattern it will be getting awfully close to 90c. I have seen quoted idle temps for a 9600 of 40-45c so your temp under load should be closer to 65-70c. Apart from preventing crashing a lower operating temparature will lead to longer life for your hardware, so you should seriously consider heat as a possible problem.

As to Halo, the minimum system requirements as far as video is concerned is much lower than for BF1942 (let alone any mods like DC you may be running, which are more demanding than BF Vanilla). Halo may simply not be putting enough stress on your vid card to cause it to crash from overheating.

A simple way to check for overheating is to take the side off your computer case and sit a desktop fan right next to it pointing at the vid card, this is quite often enough to allow smooth operation if it is overheating.

AK

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 13 years ago

but if it is heat...why did it work before my reinstall of windows? :-S :(

SmallButFiesty

You = not me

50 XP

14th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,055 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

before did u have SP1? there are problems with SP2 and that could be the problem........

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago
KilianSSLbut if it is heat...why did it work before my reinstall of windows? :-S :(

I can only go by the info you have supplied. The symptoms you describe can happen with a overheat problem and your vid card is running rather warm, but I am not saying for sure that it is a heat problem, I would like to eliminate the possibility. It COULD be a co-incidence that your vidcard started overheating at the same time you re-installed windows, but it may be a different problem altogether.

Other ideas to consider for the described symptoms are;

Memory; try going into the BIOS and resetting the BIOS to failsafe Defaults, that will set the memory to the safest settings. Alternatively reset the memory timings to lower speeds (higher numbers are slower for mem settings).

PSU; a faulty PSU can give a similar problem, less likely but still a possibility.

Driver Conflict; one of the installed drivers may not be compatible with WinXP SP2, I have seen exactly the same thing happen with a old driver for a webcam.

Fromw here I am (many thousands of klms away) I can't take quick look at your computer and installed software and settings and decide what is possible and what isn't so I am just suggesting things that cause similar problems.

Good luck

AK