berm

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

12th March 2003

0 Uploads

647 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

hello! my brother has a 2.6 ghz cpu 512 400 ddr ram with a 9800 pro, cable connection, and he is about 3 times slower loading a map on bf vietnam then i am. i have a 1.7 ghz 512 rambus with a geforce 3 ti200. my question is why does it take him so long to load? i've tried allmost everything i can think of to fix but i'm stuck! please help. i hope i gave enough info. THANKS! :uhoh:

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

The answer grasshopper (uh berm, sorry), is likely memory and HDD speed. If your HDD is pumpin out data faster than the memory can move it around (or conversley the mem is sitting waiting for a slow HDD to send it stuff) then it will be slower no matter what you do.

You have much faster mem and a better mem controller than your brother, that will make some diffrence, but also check out the HDD, does he have an old 40Gb 7200 rpm 2 Mb Cache Model while you have a MUCH faster 120GB 7200ROM 8Mb Cache SATA disk?

On the other hand he may also be loading a lot more texture data than you cosidering he has lot newer vid card that can benefit from high quality textures, or, he may have extra software running in the background that maybe slowing his loading time down. If he is running Norton AV 2004 and you aren't that could make a HUGE difference, so disable unnescessary software and test. There are so many variables between two computers that can cause your symptoms it's simply not funny, but that gives you an idea of where to start looking.

AK

:smokin:

Tinkle

Im so leet.

50 XP

1st July 2003

0 Uploads

46 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

damn he knows everything..... what is the color of my underpants?

berm

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

12th March 2003

0 Uploads

647 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

he got another 512 mem and helped alot thanks. now going for new harddrive.