How do I determine my FPS and what's a good one? -1 reply

Please wait...

We're currently in the process of moving servers, parts or all of the site will be unavailable for a few hours. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Mace_Solo

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

1st October 2005

0 Uploads

18 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

I have frequenlty heard of people refer to their FPS(which I assume means "frames per second") when speaking of the performance of their video when playing this and other games. What I don't know is how do you find this out? Is there some downloadable utility that tells you what it was when you were playing. Or is it something in the game or windows itself? I would like to find out what my FPS is when playing BF1942. Any help would be appreciated. Also, what is considered a "good" FPS? Or perhaps the answer could be broken down into an FPS number(or range of numbers) for POOR / GOOD / EXCELLENT performance. Thanks! PS. Also, is video card the MAIN determining factor of good vs. poor fps or do memory and other things have a bearing also? I have a P4 2.8 gigahertz cpu and upgraded a week ago to 512mb ram(from 256mb) but I have a cheap intel integrated extreme graphics P.O.S. for video.

monkeyass07

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

10th March 2003

0 Uploads

9 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

For a good program to see what your FPS check out http://www.fraps.com/

The way to check out your FPS in BF1942 is press the ~ key to get the console window then type "Console.showfps 1" without the " " to enable it, to disable it just replace the 1 with 0.

I dont like do it this way in BF1942, because you get this annoying graph across your screen.

I consider anything under 30 to be poor 31-60 is pertty good 61-100 is very good and anything above 100 is excellent

Graphics cards play the major role in Great FPS, but only if you got the power for it. You may have the state of the art graphics card, but only have 1ghz proc. and 256mb of ram. Your FPS are not going to be as good as someone with the last generation card, but they have a 2.8ghz proc. and 1024mb of ram. If that makes any sense.

Your prcessor is fine and more ram wouldn't hurt. But I would get a new graphics card first, because intel intergrated is a worthless POC. I would look at a ATI Radeon 9800 pro or the GeForce FX 5900 XT. You can find both for under $200.

Mace_Solo

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

1st October 2005

0 Uploads

18 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

Thanks for the information. I checked my FPS in BF42 (18-25) and DC (15-19):(

I have been checking out newegg's website lately, knowing now that the 64mb intel integrated "extreme" graphics I have in my PC is crap.

I checked out the cards you recommended but sadly can't justify spending around $200 right now just to play video games better(despite how AWESOME BF42 is!)

What I'm using right now is SUCH CRAP that I'm sure I'll notice a big difference in game play with an ATI Radeon 9600 chip set(in the low $100's for 128mb / 128 bit ). Hell, even a 128mb Radeon 9200 chip set card would be better. But I don't want BF1942 to be the last game I'm able to play well, so I do want to get the best that I can reasonably afford right now and the 9600 looks like it.

When I was checking my FPS I saw some other statistic below it that said "MSF" What is this and is 45-48 any good for this number?

Eagle One

:-D

50 XP

22nd December 2003

0 Uploads

2,992 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

if u could afford a radeon 9800 or geforce 5900 you would notice a HUGE differance in FPS, and graphics quality in newer games ie FarCry, Doom3, HL2

Pethegreat VIP Member

Lord of the Peach

70 XP

19th April 2004

0 Uploads

20,892 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

even if you get a 9200 you may see a %50 increse over your extrere grapics:D. BUT is you want to play d3 and hl2 get at lest a 9600Xt