sidsel

GF makes me horny

50 XP

26th January 2003

0 Uploads

73 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I have a ADSL connection and have no idea what speed it is. All I know is Its a huge box in the basement of our building.

I think its fast.

I was wondering if there is anyway to make sure I am getting the best out of this connection as I am the only person using the internet during the day and would love all the power to play online.

Any help would be appreciated.

As you have guessed new to this computer and internet stuff.

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Hi sidsel,

Big box aye? Mines about 12 inches by 6 and sits on the shelf. Your big box is probably the dedicated hardware firewall and corprorate gateway that controls all you LAN access to the Internet, the ADSL modem itself is probably tiny.

At the moment all you can really measure is the actual bandwidth available to your PC. A decent hardware gateway is quite capable of dishing out the bandwidth so that each PC only gets what the admin wants to give them, that's so that no one can hog all the bandwidth when the manager want to browse some pr0n sites and therefore spoil his enjoyment of the internet.

There are plenty of free network tools that will tell you exactly how fast your are downloading. Netstat Live from AnalogX is a very useful free utility that will do the job for you.

have fun

:cya: :cya: :cya:

:smokin:

1st_Lt_Luke

s0cially in3pt

50 XP

8th September 2002

0 Uploads

201 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

You can see your current connection speed if you go to www.2wire.com and click on the Test Connection button. I have found this quite helpful in chewing MSN's ass because my DSL is crappy.

Cpt. Someguy

Has a gun pointed at you

50 XP

1st June 2003

0 Uploads

767 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Goddamn! I get an average of 38kbps on downloads, and look at this speed:

Originally posted by 2wire.com

WHY CANT I DOWNLOAD THAT FAST??! I HAVE CABLE!!!

sidsel

GF makes me horny

50 XP

26th January 2003

0 Uploads

73 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Cheers, but I was thinking of something similar to what system mechanic has to offer, Internet and Network Optimiser.

sidsel

GF makes me horny

50 XP

26th January 2003

0 Uploads

73 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

I tested it 5 time and had these results

601kps 117kps 52.9kps 50kps 120.3kps

What the hell does it mean.

Basically I am trying to find out why I have been playing Battlefield with a modest ping of about 30 to 80 and know it is always around 130 to 500.

Still new to this stuff.

GeneralFluffy

Mucho Burrito!

50 XP

24th February 2003

0 Uploads

210 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

Mine said: 1125.5 Kbps!

WTF? I can't even download like that, and my pings are always above 100!

Reborngg

Gamers Generation

50 XP

9th June 2003

0 Uploads

591 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

Here are your results. Status: Test completed... Bandwidth = 436.7 Kbps

:O thats slow for me.. under by about 140kbps.. so dont take what u read from that as ADAM, alot will depend on how fast that server is also thats running test.

Zab

BROtastic

50 XP

30th March 2003

0 Uploads

8,186 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

that 2wire place sells some seriously good routers!

Sh0rD

¥ Uberhacker ¥

50 XP

11th August 2002

0 Uploads

2,118 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

You all are just confused about what it all means... please read my post about it here: http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=79325

Scroll down to the post.

I've explained what it means there.

Well, I'll quote myself a little and just post it here, what the hell...

"Be careful with what you say regarding to KB or kb. When you add the KB it is really 1024 and not the true metric 1000. kb is used for internet connections and KB is used for storing files on your hard drive."

For example, GeneralFluffy you said you are getting a reading of 1125.5 kb/sec... let's dice what that really means.

Take 1125.5 and divide it by 8 (since there is 8 bits in a byte)

You get 140.69 KB/sec.

Like I said kb is 1000 and KB is 1024... When you are transfering files you talk with the KB (The big KB ;)) or even the big MB or even the big GB or even the big TB and so on... Now, since bandwidth is measured in kb, mb, gb, you get the picture it's kilo-bit, mega-bit, giga-bit and so on... Like I said, 8 bits in a byte. 1024 bytes in a kilobyte. They can be tricky if you don't represent them with capalized letters or lowercase.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone, I'm randomly typing this out and I don't feel like making anymore sense than what I'm typing.

Everyone understand kinda?