Not Optimum Mode error -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 15 years ago

When I try to start Battlefield 1942 for the first time, the splash screen comes up fine, but when the screen goes black, I see a window saying "Not Optimum Mode" which says that my resolution should be 1280X1024 at 60hz. I can hear Battlefield 1942 sound in the background, but I cannot get past the error bouncing all over my screen. Can someone help please? I have tried everything, even lowering my resolution to 800X600 and even 1024X768, but I still get the error. I love bf1842 and had to uninstall it due to its flakiness. All my other games work great: Star Wars Republic Commando, Splinter Cell, Doom 3, etc... Can someone help? I'd be much obliged.

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

The error message is from your monitor not the computer. You have an LCD monitor (probably 17") with an optimum display mode of 1280X1024@60hz

Make sure that your vid card is set to output at 60hz, then go into the BF settings and make sure that is also set at 60Hz. (if you can't get to the settings panel in BF itself then go to the settings file called video.con here, C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\ - there may be several in the custom profiles folder, make sure you get them all! change this line to say 60 at the end "game.setGameDisplayMode 1024 768 32 60") NOTE - do not change any other numbers at the moment, read on first.

Now the next problem is that BF can't run in 1280X1024, the best you will probably get from BF is 1280X960 or 1024X768. If you still get the error message after making sure that your monitor and game are both running at 60Hz then you will have to use the monitors OSD (OnScreen Display) to see if you can disable the warning. Now in theory these OSD warnings are supposed to vanish after about 10 seconds, I take it yours don't. but it may be because the game is set to run in 75Hz or something like that so see how you go with the above, let us know what happens.

AK

:smokin:

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 15 years ago

Sheesh... all that just to play a game??? I'll just stick with all my other games that WORK without having to go in and change all the darn settings! Thanks alot Dice and EAGames... can you make playing bf1942 harder to play??? Thanks for the info, kid, but I am not going to go through all that just to play one game because Dice is too lazy to make a fix.

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

What fix?!?

There is nothing wrong with the game, the game doesn't support 1280X1024 video mode because it causes problems in FPS games when some ppl have wider fields of view than others. The standard display mode is 4:3 aspect ratio, ie: 640X480, 800X600, 1024X768, 1280X960 etc. 1280X1024 is 5:4 aspect ratio, which changes the view area of the player in First Person mode and would give some players an unfair advantage. To allow unrestricted display modes could lead to ppl playing it on widescreen monitors and being able to see other players long before the other players have a chance to see them. There are a number of other games that also have this limitation. There's no "fix" because its meant to be that way.

The error message is your monitor complaining, not the game, it's working fine :)

I have a 17" Viewmaster LCD with 1280X1024@60Hz optimal settings and it never complains at me when I run BF in 1024X768@60Hz, what make is your monitor?

AK

:smokin:

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 15 years ago

My monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster 912n 19" LCD monitor. I do believe I ran BF1942 using this monitor when I had my other computer. This one is brand new: Windows XP Pro Pentium 4 540J w/HT Tech. 3.2Ghz 2GB DDR2-400 RAM PC3200 160GB 7200 RPM SATA HD 48X Max CD-RW/DVD-rom Combo 256 DDR ATI Radeon X600 Pro w/TV out & DVI Sound Blaster Audigy 2.ZS I have set my resolution to the right specs for the game and still get the error. Also, why is it that I do not get this error on ANY OTHER game?? Only BF1942. If you can help, I would be much obliged. I am about ready to go back to a CRT monitor if this keep happening. I had a 19" CRT that worked great and I was able to play BF1942 just fine.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#6 15 years ago

Apocalypse Kid, you still gonna help me to try getting this game to work? Did you read my computer specs and monitor specs? Can you tell me why all my other games and programs are working just fine and BF1942 is the only thing that is giving me this error? I am not having any trouble with any other game. Why only BF1942? If it is my monitor, then why is it not affecting anything else? Most certainly my monitor will be affecting everything else if it is the monitor, right? Can you let me know what you have come up with? Maybe someone I can write to at Dice or EA to resolve this problem? I miss El Alamein and all my other favorite maps.