Ready to fly a B-17 over EA headquaters -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 14 years ago

Hi all, I'm new to this forum but have been playing BF1942 for a couple years, and desert combat for over a year. Love the game. Hate the buggy POS software and interface, and now EA for (nearly) total lack of support. My setup: P4 2.4Ghz 1GB DDRSDRAM 400 Mhz ASUS P4GE-V MB (using onboard soundmax digital audio sound) ASUS (not onboard) AGP GeForce FX5200 128MB video Win2K I recall I had numerous problems when I first installed the game, but got them all sorted out in a few hours. NOTHING like what's going on now. So here's what happened... As I was starting up DC a few days ago (as have done MANY times in the last couple years), I got distracted and accidently clicked on 'New' instead of my existing profile. Never did that before. Clicked on cancel at prompt to create new, then back at logon (or whatever) screen, did not get my normal profile name back in the 'Use' box... was blank. So I just exited game, thinking "I'll just restart, and procede as normal". WRONG! When I restarted, I got the black screen, and it just sat there. "SOAB!", screamed I (recalling what a major PITA it was when I 1st set it up, having seen this before). So in window exploder I start looking at the profile folders, and lo and behold, my normal profile was GONE. I had also spent considerable time tweaking all the settings, hotkeys, bindings for my logitech joystick etc... see why I think the game, esp DC is FUN AS HELL, I HATE HATE HATE the extreme bugginess of this POS interface. So anyway, since then I have spent hours trying to: 1. edit the .con files to allow me to even start the friggin thing, eventually gave up. Poored over the lousy EA help system, where I found to try deleting the folders under \settings\profiles\*.*, no help. 2. Also the allowallrefresh thing to 1, no help. Uninstalled, reinstalled both bf1942 and RtR (dont have secret weapons), patched up to 1.6.19. No help. 3. Uninstalled, cleaned registry, deleted all old folders, reinstalled both bf1942 and RtR, patched up to 1.6.19, no help. Updated video drivers. Uninstalled, cleaned registry, deleted all old folders, installed BF1942 and RtR, no patch this time. I tried running, got frozen mouse at create profile screen. Patched to 1.3, same result. Patched to 1.4, same result. Patched to 1.5, same result. Patched to 1.6.19, back to square 1, launches to black screen, hangs there a minute, crash to desktop. I have been screwing with this for 2 days almost constantly, and I am ready to strangle a BF1942 programmer. I just don't understand why A.) The stinking program can be so fragile that clicking on one wrong button one time can cause a catostrophic failure leading to DAYS of (see above); AND B.) Why uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't net the same result as previously, with all else remaining equal. BUGGY POS!! Not to mention the fact that I now know this is no isolated instance... search on google for "Battlefield 1942" crash desktop and get like 30,000 hits! I have been reading about people actually REFORMATTING their HDD and reinstalling all their other software to try to fix then pulling their hair out because it didn't work! AAARRRRGGGHHH!!! Anyway, I am at my wits' end. Anybody have any suggestions? (NOT reformatting - NO WAY!)

apocalypse_kid

I would die without GF

50 XP

20th May 2002

0 Uploads

5,498 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Look elsewhere on computer for BF folders (ie: My Documents) I have seen ppl with strange problems and odd BF folders in My Documents that interfere with the normal BF folders, with no idea how they got there. It appears that BF looks there for the settings folders first and only then looks under the regular folders.

Also did you try clearing out stray BF stuff in registry?

AK

:smokin:

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 14 years ago

DUDE! You are the MAN! You fixed my problem!! Thanks for the great info AK! Nowhere anywhere else I read did anybody else mention about those folders unders my docs or docs & settings... not a HINT of it on EA's 'knowledgebase'... should be ignorancebase. Hope this helps others. Thanks again buddy! :) EDIT: Oh btw in case anyone else needs to try this, to clarify: I found a BF1942 directory structure under my docs, deleted the folders under profile folder THERE, ran BF, then BF started right up, WITH mouse and everything! W00T!

ree3162003

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

9th June 2003

0 Uploads

136 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

This post should be a sticky to help anyone that has a problem like this.